2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

On 12/11/2017 at 4:17 PM, JetsandI said:

Allen in 1st is the same as Hackenberg in 2nd.  Move on.

Yup. We can't take a project QB who struggled at the college level. I will lose my mind if we take Allen. I'm even cautious with Darnold. Too close to Marky Mark.  But I'll trust the scouts on him. 

31 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Rosen is the only QB in this draft that evens stands a shot at starting for the Jets Week 1 of 2018.

Absolutely Rosen is the only one I am sure would start in his first season. I am not so sure about the rest, but who knows.

5 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

We aren't necessarily looking for a starter week 1, we just want to hit on a QB regardless of when he starts. I'd like to hope he can win the starting job but if we need to wait until week 8 to see him it doesn't really bother me

I agree as long as we have a bonafide QB on the roster. there is no reason that we can't wait for whoever that player is to start.

9 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

We aren't necessarily looking for a starter week 1, we just want to hit on a QB regardless of when he starts. I'd like to hope he can win the starting job but if we need to wait until week 8 to see him it doesn't really bother me

Mayfield isn't a project QB in my opinion. He can come in and start day 1. Rosen as well.

I think Darnold and Jackson would need some seasoning, thus would be cool if McCown was back to get us through September. No other QB is even worth talking about.

34 minutes ago, K-Ro 25 said:

Mayfield isn't a project QB in my opinion. He can come in and start day 1. Rosen as well.

I think Darnold and Jackson would need some seasoning, thus would be cool if McCown was back to get us through September. No other QB is even worth talking about.

OUs offense is the polar opposite of an NFL offense. That’s not saying he can’t grasp an nfl offense. It’s just saying he’s not seasoned to do so. That’s what makes finding and grading these college QBs so hard. The offenses they run in college are nothing like the nfl, so it’s hard to see who will and won’t grasp it. I like watching the Gruden camps, it gives good insight on how smart these guys are pre draft at reading defenses. For Mayfiekd and Jackson I think the biggest things will be learning to stay in the pocket. Huge adjustment. To not just run when things break down. Step up in the pocket, throw the ball away or take a sack is a good play in the nfl sometimes. And that’s not those 2 guys instincts. That takes time to adjust. Darnold I think needs to adjust from a turnover standpoint. Way too many turnovers in college. He does play in a more nfl style offense though, which imo makes him more nfl ready than Mayfield or Jackson.

1 hour ago, K-Ro 25 said:

I think Darnold on the Browns, Rosen on the Giants and Mayfield on the Jets would all start right away but I wouldn't mind if we needed to wait until halfway through the season either. 

53 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

OUs offense is the polar opposite of an NFL offense. That’s not saying he can’t grasp an nfl offense. It’s just saying he’s not seasoned to do so. That’s what makes finding and grading these college QBs so hard. The offenses they run in college are nothing like the nfl, so it’s hard to see who will and won’t grasp it. I like watching the Gruden camps, it gives good insight on how smart these guys are pre draft at reading defenses. For Mayfiekd and Jackson I think the biggest things will be learning to stay in the pocket. Huge adjustment. To not just run when things break down. Step up in the pocket, throw the ball away or take a sack is a good play in the nfl sometimes. And that’s not those 2 guys instincts. That takes time to adjust. Darnold I think needs to adjust from a turnover standpoint. Way too many turnovers in college. He does play in a more nfl style offense though, which imo makes him more nfl ready than Mayfield or Jackson.

Jackson will need to learn to play from the pocket more I think but Mayfield doesn't really depend on rushing yards. Carson Wentz ran the ball more his final 2 years in college than Baker has. Baker heavily relied on the run his first year at OU, not so much the last 2 years though.

2 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Jackson will need to learn to play from the pocket more I think but Mayfield doesn't really depend on rushing yards. Carson Wentz ran the ball more his final 2 years in college than Baker has. Baker heavily relied on the run his first year at OU, not so much the last 2 years though.

Mayfield is no where near the runner Jackson is but creates a ton with his legs. Throwing a ton on the run and all. Eluding defenders. Things that you’re supposed to avoid in the NFL. Add a small stature and that’s why I don’t view him as a top talent. He will have to sit, learn and change his style of game in order to stand a chance succeeding and staying healthy.

What I really don’t understand is that if we draft a qb who doesn’t run a ‘traditional’ nfl offense then could we not sprinkle in plays there are fimilar with  alongside regular ‘nfl plays’?

For example; Lamar Jackson is not a ‘traditional nfl qb’ okay well surely we can take what he can do and build a offensive gameplan around the great skills he has rather than making him into something he’s not. The phrase round hole square peg comes to mind. 

11 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Mayfield is no where near the runner Jackson is but creates a ton with his legs. Throwing a ton on the run and all. Eluding defenders. Things that you’re supposed to avoid in the NFL. Add a small stature and that’s why I don’t view him as a top talent. He will have to sit, learn and change his style of game in order to stand a chance succeeding and staying healthy.

Mayfield - 6' 220

Wilson - 5' 11 215

Brees - 6' 209

There is no reason he can't succeed in the NFL at his height and weight. Brees doesn't take many shots but Wilson is shorter and lighter than Mayfield with one of the worst OL in all of football. He is arguably going to win the MVP . this year

Archived