2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

29 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Is this talk about Enunwa's neck legit or just wild speculation? We do need him back next season. With him back, I'm fine with the WR corps. Though I must admit the idea of someone named Equanimeous St. Brown playing for us amuses me greatly. I still remember the first time I heard the name D'Brickashaw Ferguson! :)

I think we gamble on Enunwa coming back unless he retires before FA or the draft. I give us little chance to draft a receiver in the top 3 rounds barring some ridiculous FA period.

I'm not OK with our WR group if we don't sign a guy like Cousins. They're not bad, but not good either. Who knows what we get with Enunwa (he had a very serious career threatening injury). I think Cousins could do just fine with our weapons at WR (RB needs and upgrade). But I don't think we have enough pieces for a rookie QB to succeed. The thing with that though is if we miss out on FA QBs we have to spend that money somewhere and that somewhere very well might be a WR and TE.

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm not OK with our WR group if we don't sign a guy like Cousins. They're not bad, but not good either. Who knows what we get with Enunwa (he had a very serious career threatening injury). I think Cousins could do just fine with our weapons at WR (RB needs and upgrade). But I don't think we have enough pieces for a rookie QB to succeed. The thing with that though is if we miss out on FA QBs we have to spend that money somewhere and that somewhere very well might be a WR and TE.

Honestly knowing we'll have $111M in cap, if we miss on Cousins I'd be fine with signing Bell I'd front load the heck out of a deal though. 

Bell, Jensen, Norwell, Johnson, Landry, plus our own FA would be alright with me. That said I really hope we get Cousins.

33 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Honestly knowing we'll have $111M in cap, if we miss on Cousins I'd be fine with signing Bell I'd front load the heck out of a deal though. 

Bell, Jensen, Norwell, Johnson, Landry, plus our own FA would be alright with me. That said I really hope we get Cousins.

Bell will be tagged if he's not signed long-term.  He's arguably the best RB in football and is about to turn 26.  

55 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree.  Q might not be the same player and is an RFA.  We'll likely tender him at a 1st or 2nd round level and see how he plays, but we need insurance.  If it becomes too crowded, you can always flip a guy at the deadline for a pick.

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

Bell will be tagged if he's not signed long-term.  He's arguably the best RB in football and is about to turn 26.  

That is certainly an option but at $15m that make sure. Him the highest paid RB by about $7m.

17 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

That is certainly an option but at $15m that make sure. Him the highest paid RB by about $7m.

Wow, nevermind.  I didn't realize it was over 10 (although 15 is high, last year was 12 and change).  At the very least, they'd transition tag him.

I don't think Pitt wants to pay Bell. If they did they would have this year. He certainly has earned it ever since he was drafted. I wouldn't bet that he becomes a UFA or gets transition tagged, but if he was... I'd be all over us signing him. What a weapon for a young QB along with getting a couple OLIneman and maybe even a WR. There'd be no excuse for whoever is at QB about talent around them.

28 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I don't think Pitt wants to pay Bell. If they did they would have this year. He certainly has earned it ever since he was drafted. I wouldn't bet that he becomes a UFA or gets transition tagged, but if he was... I'd be all over us signing him. What a weapon for a young QB along with getting a couple OLIneman and maybe even a WR. There'd be no excuse for whoever is at QB about talent around them.

I think it's inevitable that he'll be back.  Big Ben might retire.  If not, he has two years or so max left.  They'll likely get a young QB, which will need an RB (as you mentioned, but for Pitt).

40 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I think it's inevitable that he'll be back.  Big Ben might retire.  If not, he has two years or so max left.  They'll likely get a young QB, which will need an RB (as you mentioned, but for Pitt).

I agree. Like I stated I wouldn't bet on him not being a Steeler next season. But if he does hit the market we need to be all over it.

For what it's worth .. Florio just reported at Halftime of the Rams/.Falcons game that NFL scouts view Darnold and Rosen below Trubinsky, Mahomes and Watson from last year.  Concerns on how long it will take Darnold to develop and if Rosen's upside it limited. 

21 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

For what it's worth .. Florio just reported at Halftime of the Rams/.Falcons game that NFL scouts view Darnold and Rosen below Trubinsky, Mahomes and Watson from last year.  Concerns on how long it will take Darnold to develop and if Rosen's upside it limited. 

I don't buy that for a minute.

16 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

You think he made it up?  Or don't agree with the scouts he says he talked to?

I put Mayfield around the Watson level. But I think Rosen is quite a bit better prospect than Trubisky. Darnold I think needs work like Mahomes. And Allen I think is as raw as them all I’d compare him to a Paxton Lynch almost as a prospect. Not sayingbatts what these guys careers will like. I’m talking how they’re graded pre draft.

1 hour ago, JetsFan15 said:

You think he made it up?  Or don't agree with the scouts he says he talked to?

I think he's grasping at straws. I don't think GMs or their scouts believe Trubisky, Mahomes and Watson were Better prospects than this crop. They would have been pounding the table for the Browns to take a QB at 1. I understand having questions about rookie QBs but there is no way you can convince me that Trubisky is better than Darnold or Rosen. I do feel comfortable saying Mayfield is similar to Watson from a "college winner but not pro QB" point of view. I'm not sure there is really a comparison to Mahomes in this draft but even with terrible stats this year Allen is being compared to Wentz. 

Archived