2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

10 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

Now with all that said there are good things that Macc has done as GM as well:

- 6th round pick got us the best statistical season for a Jets QB. The following year was a train wreck but there weren't many options for us to sign in FA and we didn't resign him until after the draft when we attempted to move up for Goff or Wentz. I think it's safe to assume we are happy we passed on Lynch during the 2016 draft.

- 5th round pick got us the best statistical season for a Jets WR in Marshall

- Signing ASJ off waivers, looks like we finally have a TE after years of searching

- Signing Ealy off waivers, he's simmered down after a good start but if he can be a roll player moving forward this was an addition of a young player without a draft pick.

- Trading Sheldon for Kearse and a 2nd round pick. This will be an integral piece to our QB equation if we need to trade up to draft our franchise QB

- Finding Robby Anderson as an UDFA

- Trading Calvin Pryor for Demario Davis

- Cutting Fitz, Decker, Marshall, Harris, Mangold, and Revis - all of which have done next to nothing. Allowing us to have the plethora of cap space this upcoming season.

That’s the only thing I’ll give Macc... he’s been very good in trades. As far as FA and drafting. I thinks he’s done a poor job. You name all these reasons why the draft picks he made were so good, yet we just had back to back 5-11 seasons and not a great player on the whole roster. So clearly whatever he did isn’t working on the field. When the guys I mentioned that in absolutely wanted us to draft every one of them have several impact players on both sides of the ball.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

That’s the only thing I’ll give Macc... he’s been very good in trades. As far as FA and drafting. I thinks he’s done a poor job. You name all these reasons why the draft picks he made were so good, yet we just had back to back 5-11 seasons and not a great player on the whole roster. So clearly whatever he did isn’t working on the field. When the guys I mentioned that in absolutely wanted us to draft every one of them have several impact players on both sides of the ball.

I will add a couple of things to Mac doing a good job. First saying Decker and Marshall gave us next to nothing is totally wrong they were the best wide receiver duo in the NFL in 2015. After having two # 6 draft picks in the first round, his drafting has been very weak. His other round picks could not even make the playing field. This year he has the #6 overall pick in the draft plus two #2 picks in the draft plus  a #3. He has a chance to redeem himself with this years draft and FA period. He must come up with a QB and make the right draft picks. And ASJ has been a very productive player in the red zone, but has yet to prove he is a go to TE, he has shown no ability to go over the middle to stretch the defensive. His longest pass since he has been with Jets is only 17 yards. Mac has a tremendous amount of work to do in the off season, he has to get it right this time. I though our D line would be together of years, first Snacks, is gone Sheldon is gone and Mo 28 years old will be gone, why was  the drafting wrong the last few years getting players, that we really didn't need. Sure Williams is a outstand player but did we really need him over a top LB who was available when we pick. His trading has been good getting Davis back and getting Kearse, were players who were very productive..

A few under the radar 3rd-4th round RBs that i’m Interested in are Rashaad Penny, Myles Gaskin, and Royce Freeman.  I haven’t watched tape on any of them for this year but I remember liking Freeman a few years ago when Mariota and Vernon Adams were his QBs. I tried watching Penny a couple of time this year but since the games were on the West Coast I fell asleep. Gaskin is a little smaller but has had three consistently good years in a row.  

I also had Michel as a 3rd round option but after Monday, and depending on how he does against Alabama, he might have moved into the 2nd round conversation

Since Mac passed on Gurley and Cook but was apparently willing to spend a 3rd on Kamara, i’m thinking 3rd would be the earliest we draft a RB. 

I really only have 5 RBs I think that can make s big time difference for this team.

Barkley, Guice, Michel, Chubb and Jones III. Everyone else I just see as average or so. Certainly I wouldn’t mind getting a few others. But I don’t see them making a big difference like these names.

12 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I need a bigger sample size of Watson to say if he’s good. He certainly looked to be heading that direction I will say. Can’t annoint him as a great pick after 6 starts.

hahaha lolololol

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

You probably had RG3 going to the HoF after Year 1 than.

Or that they're completely different QB's. Not being sold on Watson after the way he took the league by storm is a joke. Have fun with your guy Hack, though.

13 minutes ago, K-Ro 25 said:

Or that they're completely different QB's. Not being sold on Watson after the way he took the league by storm is a joke. Have fun with your guy Hack, though.

It's kind of sad how many times the fans are right with scouting and our GM is wrong.  Reminiscent of when we all wanted Melvin Ingram and we got Coples instead. 

19 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

It's kind of sad how many times the fans are right with scouting and our GM is wrong.  Reminiscent of when we all wanted Melvin Ingram and we got Coples instead. 

Perhaps 25% of all times.  We don't talk with prospects. Just because a certain player played well with other teams doesn't he would do the same thing for Jets.  Take your Blake Martinez for example, do you honestly think Bowles would play him right away after Bowles has been consistent for not playing mid round prospects that much?

1 hour ago, K-Ro 25 said:

No one who plays good for 6 games is a proven NFL player period. And that’s at any position. QB especially. Have fun with your boy Mayfield though.

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

LMAO, I remember that. Melvin was in everyone mock that year. Some people didn't like him because he had short arms or something stupid.

3 hours ago, K-Ro 25 said:

hahaha lolololol

2 ACL tears, broken fingers, sprained knee, and a broken collar bone all at the ripe old age of 22. I'd say we need to see if he can endure an NFL season but if he can stay healthy he's going to be good.

19 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

2 ACL tears, broken fingers, sprained knee, and a broken collar bone all at the ripe old age of 22. I'd say we need to see if he can endure an NFL season but if he can stay healthy he's going to be good.

broken fingers and collar bones are so minor it's not even worth talking about. I broke my collarbone 3 times and thumb, fingers numerous times. He was healthy his college career, no? I won't let an ACL injury distort my vision of Watson. QB's always comeback strong from it, and Watson isn't just reliant on the legs.

Archived