2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So if he drafts well 1/4 drafts his job is safe?

Look around the league, most GMs if lucky net 1-2 starters per draft. While that's the most affordable way to add talent, it should not be seen as the be all end all for GMs. Trades, waivers, and FAs all play a part in a GMs fate.

Macc's most egregious moves IMO were Hack in round 2, Fitz in year 2, and Mo's extension. You could throw Revis in there but I can't really fault him 100% there, I think Woody wanted that to happen. I think by and large Macc has done a good job, he hasn't painted us until a corner with any of his moves. I think the positives that Macc has done outweigh the negatives, especially if you take a minute to look at the success or lack there of from other GMs.

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

Look around the league, most GMs if lucky net 1-2 starters per draft. While that's the most affordable way to add talent, it should not be seen as the be all end all for GMs. Trades, waivers, and FAs all play a part in a GMs fate.

Macc's most egregious moves IMO were Hack in round 2, Fitz in year 2, and Mo's extension. You could throw Revis in there but I can't really fault him 100% there, I think Woody wanted that to happen. I think by and large Macc has done a good job, he hasn't painted us until a corner with any of his moves. I think the positives that Macc has done outweigh the negatives, especially if you take a minute to look at the success or lack there of from other GMs.

All happened in one off season.  Because of that terrible year, Maccagnan redid the plan for Jets. Let's see if he can actually turn Jets around for a good period.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

So if he drafts well 1/4 drafts his job is safe?

Mac has made some rough picks and hes made some good ones, I think his drafting has been a C which really wont cut it. He has to have a good draft and offseason. If he has a great draft and offseason are you going to fire him before 2019? The would be stupid. Ownership is giving Bowles and Mac a year to put a winning football team on the field. I think they have to win 10 games, which usually puts you in the playoffs. Either way, everything hes done has to be done even better. Its now put up or shut up.

3 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Mac has made some rough picks and hes made some good ones, I think his drafting has been a C which really wont cut it. He has to have a good draft and offseason. If he has a great draft and offseason are you going to fire him before 2019? The would be stupid. Ownership is giving Bowles and Mac a year to put a winning football team on the field. I think they have to win 10 games, which usually puts you in the playoffs. Either way, everything hes done has to be done even better. Its now put up or shut up.

Elaborate to me how he’s made some good ones?

6 hours ago, rdelaney89 said:

Hindsight is 20/20. 

Mo extension at the time was a good move for a few reasons - 1) showed players we will try and keep our best players (which was in doubt after the Revis trade. 2) Mo, at the time, looked as though he was the safer DL to lock up long term between him and Richardson and 3) he set it up with an out that won't cripple our cap. So I can't say it was a bad move at the time.

Fitz had to be signed.  He had a career year the year before, great chemistry with Marshall and Decker and seemed to really master Gailey's offense.  We had no other options via FA and we did not take a guy in the draft ready to play.  So at the time it was the move that had to be made.

Hack in round 2 seemed high.  But there were other team interested in him from what was out there and Mac loved him.  A case can be made that he did not follow the BPA and let his "man crush" get in the way.   This, of the three moves you listed, is the one I would agree both at the time and now is / was egregious.

33 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

Hindsight is 20/20. 

Mo extension at the time was a good move for a few reasons - 1) showed players we will try and keep our best players (which was in doubt after the Revis trade. 2) Mo, at the time, looked as though he was the safer DL to lock up long term between him and Richardson and 3) he set it up with an out that won't cripple our cap. So I can't say it was a bad move at the time.

Fitz had to be signed.  He had a career year the year before, great chemistry with Marshall and Decker and seemed to really master Gailey's offense.  We had no other options via FA and we did not take a guy in the draft ready to play.  So at the time it was the move that had to be made.

Hack in round 2 seemed high.  But there were other team interested in him from what was out there and Mac loved him.  A case can be made that he did not follow the BPA and let his "man crush" get in the way.   This, of the three moves you listed, is the one I would agree both at the time and now is / was egregious.

completely agree, been saying this. Macc has a sound thought process with his decision-making. I can not fault him for the moves he made given the available information at the time. This is why I believe he is the bestGM we've had in a long time.

I don't think Macc is a good GM. He hasn't handed out a good FA contract to a young player since he's been here that's worked out. Carpenter was the closest thing he got to that and he might be gone in the offseason. Now lets look at the draft. You should be getting starters with your 1st-3rd Rounders pretty consistently. I down know the rate that well drafted teams get this. But I'd venture to guess it's over 75%. Here's Macc's list on those players.

1st: Leo (good talent, not a good pick, we had 3 good DLineman at the time).

2nd: Smith (has been injured his whole career. Wanna say you cant blame Macc for that? Sure. But the fact is he was a failed pick).

3rd: Lozo: (hasn't really shown anything as a pass rusher. And I don't think he ever will. His roster spot isn't completely safe).

1st: Lee (guy hasn't even been close to a 1st Round talent. Maybe his worst pick tbh that no one talks about).

2nd: Hack (hasn't even taken a snap yet, so yes that's a failed pick as of now).

3rd. Jenkins: (at least he plays. But isn't an edge presence. More of an edge setter and he doesn't even do that incredibly well).

Adams: (solid rookie year, but wasn't a difference maker like we thought yet. Ended the season with 0 INTs).

Maye: (solid rookie year, but also wasn't a difference maker. Looked lost at times).

Stewart: (guy barely even played and was healthy. Hard to say he was a good pick when you cant even get snaps at a position that plays 5-6 guys a game.

Now some of you might say this is hindsight, but it's not bc these guys all went within a few picks of the guys we drafted. I wanted every last one of these guys when we were on the board. So it isn't far fetched. So we could have a draft history of this under Macc.

1st: Vic Beasley (that edge rusher we've been needed for a decade).

2nd: Eric Kendricks (a sideline to sideline LB that can cover that's a leader).

3rd: Tevin Coleman (a do it all RB).

1st: Will Fuller (speed deep threat WR).

2nd: Deion Jones (speed sideline to sideline LB, what a LB duo that would be Kendricks and Jones).

3rd: Jordan Jenkins (actually the only pick I had us taking him here in most our mocks. Him setting the edge with Beasley, Jones and Kendricks rushing the passer would be nasty).

1st: Jamal Adams (I liked this pick too. We needed a S and he was one of the best players in the draft).

2nd: Dalvin Cook (Cook and Coleman would be a great RB duo).

3rd: Pat Elflein (Give us stability at the C position. It's been a staple for this franchise for nearly 15 years and we need to get it back).

If we're playing armchair GM, someone recover my 2017 mock that had

1. Watson

2. Budda Baker

3. Alvin Kamara

And got destroyed for mocking Watson to us at 6 because next year was a QB draft and Watson sucks. lolol

29 minutes ago, K-Ro 25 said:

If we're playing armchair GM, someone recover my 2017 mock that had

1. Watson

2. Budda Baker

3. Alvin Kamara

And got destroyed for mocking Watson to us at 6 because next year was a QB draft and Watson sucks. lolol

I need a bigger sample size of Watson to say if he’s good. He certainly looked to be heading that direction I will say. Can’t annoint him as a great pick after 6 starts.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Elaborate to me how he’s made some good ones?

Dude I dont get you. You're captain Hackenberg but want to bash the GM. These have been discussed before.

Im not saying the guy is terrific by any means, infact im openly critical myself, but he actually has to prove it this offseason. There has still been some decent ground work laid down. Obviously back to back 5-11 years are tough, but I am willing (not that I have a choice) to give this regime one last chance to show they have something brewing, but it has to be better than 9-7, 9-7 wont cut it. I think his contracts have sucked, and the draft trade downs were awful. We'll see how these classes start to pan out. Again I was of the opinion he needed at least one more year. Bowles I didn't but it is what it is. 

20 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Dude I dont get you. You're captain Hackenberg but want to bash the GM. These have been discussed before.

Im not saying the guy is terrific by any means, infact im openly critical myself, but he actually has to prove it this offseason. There has still been some decent ground work laid down. Obviously back to back 5-11 years are tough, but I am willing (not that I have a choice) to give this regime one last chance to show they have something brewing, but it has to be better than 9-7, 9-7 wont cut it. I think his contracts have sucked, and the draft trade downs were awful. We'll see how these classes start to pan out. Again I was of the opinion he needed at least one more year. Bowles I didn't but it is what it is. 

If you think I’m captain Hackenberg than you misunderstand everything I say about him. I say he needs a chance to play before you all write him off. I’ve gave numerous explanations on QBs who have sat that turned out ok and even ones that played early and looked awful while young but still developed into good QBs. I find it funny to see all of you fan boy over a Mayfield who isn’t even a Jet, yet bash the guy who is. I just don’t see the decent ground work laid down that you talk about in 3 whole offseasons. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I don't think Macc is a good GM. He hasn't handed out a good FA contract to a young player since he's been here that's worked out. Carpenter was the closest thing he got to that and he might be gone in the offseason. Now lets look at the draft. You should be getting starters with your 1st-3rd Rounders pretty consistently. I down know the rate that well drafted teams get this. But I'd venture to guess it's over 75%. Here's Macc's list on those players.

2nd: Smith (has been injured his whole career. Wanna say you cant blame Macc for that? Sure. But the fact is he was a failed pick).

3rd: Lozo: (hasn't really shown anything as a pass rusher. And I don't think he ever will. His roster spot isn't completely safe).

1st: Lee (guy hasn't even been close to a 1st Round talent. Maybe his worst pick tbh that no one talks about).

2nd: Hack (hasn't even taken a snap yet, so yes that's a failed pick as of now).

3rd. Jenkins: (at least he plays. But isn't an edge presence. More of an edge setter and he doesn't even do that incredibly well).

Adams: (solid rookie year, but wasn't a difference maker like we thought yet. Ended the season with 0 INTs).

Maye: (solid rookie year, but also wasn't a difference maker. Looked lost at times).

Stewart: (guy barely even played and was healthy. Hard to say he was a good pick when you cant even get snaps at a position that plays 5-6 guys a game.

Now some of you might say this is hindsight, but it's not bc these guys all went within a few picks of the guys we drafted. I wanted every last one of these guys when we were on the board. So it isn't far fetched. So we could have a draft history of this under Macc.

2nd: Deion Jones (speed sideline to sideline LB, what a LB duo that would be Kendricks and Jones).

3rd: Jordan Jenkins (actually the only pick I had us taking him here in most our mocks. Him setting the edge with Beasley, Jones and Kendricks rushing the passer would be nasty).

1st: Jamal Adams (I liked this pick too. We needed a S and he was one of the best players in the draft).

3rd: Pat Elflein (Give us stability at the C position. It's been a staple for this franchise for nearly 15 years and we need to get it back).

I don't have any stats to back it up right now (but neither do you) but that 75% figure on hits in rounds 1-3 has to be way way off.  I you are at 33-40% getting a solid starter in rounds 1-3 you are doing great.  I doubt any GM is hitting 75% of their picks in rounds 1-3. 

Armchair GM'ng is easy when you have hindsight. 

'15 - Leo - by far BPA and most thought best player in draft. Smith - injuries yes so jury is out, but key factor in that pick is SPEED which can't be coached, Mauldin - taking a shot on a potential rusher, gotta pick 'em to hit 'em

'16 - Lee - again something that can't be coached, SPEED, he is still developing as he is very young (only 23). Hack has been beaten to death. Jenkins is a starter, solid and improving not a star but a nice player to have.

'17 - Adams - stud.  Maye - stud. Those two will be keys to our D and secondary for years to come.  Stewart - jury out remember it typically takes 3 years for a WR to truly develop so we will see if he does so and turns into a weapon in the slot.

It's not like he does not have a clue.  Especially with Adams and Maye in last draft those are two very good picks.  Fact is he has gotten 5 starting defensive players the past three drafts.  I would take that success rate any day as I am sure other teams would.  Now he has to find starting talent for the offense and the obvious - a franchise QB.  Not every pick is going to be a superstar.  Your not always going to find studs in the mid to late rounds.  He is hitting at a good percentage. 

49 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

I don't have any stats to back it up right now (but neither do you) but that 75% figure on hits in rounds 1-3 has to be way way off.  I you are at 33-40% getting a solid starter in rounds 1-3 you are doing great.  I doubt any GM is hitting 75% of their picks in rounds 1-3. 

Armchair GM'ng is easy when you have hindsight. 

'15 - Leo - by far BPA and most thought best player in draft. Smith - injuries yes so jury is out, but key factor in that pick is SPEED which can't be coached, Mauldin - taking a shot on a potential rusher, gotta pick 'em to hit 'em

'16 - Lee - again something that can't be coached, SPEED, he is still developing as he is very young (only 23). Hack has been beaten to death. Jenkins is a starter, solid and improving not a star but a nice player to have.

'17 - Adams - stud.  Maye - stud. Those two will be keys to our D and secondary for years to come.  Stewart - jury out remember it typically takes 3 years for a WR to truly develop so we will see if he does so and turns into a weapon in the slot.

It's not like he does not have a clue.  Especially with Adams and Maye in last draft those are two very good picks.  Fact is he has gotten 5 starting defensive players the past three drafts.  I would take that success rate any day as I am sure other teams would.  Now he has to find starting talent for the offense and the obvious - a franchise QB.  Not every pick is going to be a superstar.  Your not always going to find studs in the mid to late rounds.  He is hitting at a good percentage. 

I said well drafted teams not all teams 1st off. 2nd off it’s not hindsight. I’ve been on this forum for a long time and was wanting those players while the draft was going on. So it’s not a hindsight. It was hitting needs with bpa while getter my “impact” players. Something Macc hasn’t done in 3 offseasons. Not 1 impact player.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I don't think Macc is a good GM. He hasn't handed out a good FA contract to a young player since he's been here that's worked out. Carpenter was the closest thing he got to that and he might be gone in the offseason. Now lets look at the draft. You should be getting starters with your 1st-3rd Rounders pretty consistently. I down know the rate that well drafted teams get this. But I'd venture to guess it's over 75%. Here's Macc's list on those players. - 2015 FA was an attempt to surround our then young QB with a team around him. We built up the best team we could while we still had Mangold, Brick, Harris, and Calvin Pace. The signings were older veterans because that's what our roster was built on, it allowed us to start fresh if in 2 years we couldn't make the playoffs while giving us time to build depth through FA, waivers, trades, and the draft. Just for reference here is a breakdown of the likely hood of a player busting based on round. A bust was considered less that 1 year as a starter and less than 40 games played. The chance of busting on a player at the start of round 2 is 35% and that number increases to 60% at the start of round 3. While it is great to find starters in those rounds it is not easy to decipher which picks will actually work out. This is why it is such a crap shoot, looking at the reasoning for the selection makes more sense than arguing it should be this player or that player.

image01.png

- The Consensus top player in the draft. Our team was the worst roster in football, with a star defensive lineman holding out after Macc had tried to discuss an extension. The other defensive lineman was in the drug program (tested positive twice), while he was a very talented prospect Richardson was not a pick from this regime Macc had no allegiance to him. Selecting the best player in the draft allowed us leverage with Mo in negotiating a contract in the 2016 offseason. You may not like that contract but at the time the majority of the fan base was on board with this move, Macc did not trust Mo so he built in a clause that would allow us to decide between him or Sheldon when the time came. This deal gave us enough time to allow Richardson to clear the drug protocol and in turn allowed us to net a 2nd round pick that will likely be critical in getting us a franchise QB and Kearse who is having a career year with us.

- The 2014 season saw our highly drafted QB left out to dry with a coach that did not want him and a GM poised to sabotage Rex in an attempt to hire his own head coach, Idzik did not bring in weapons to allow Geno to thrive. Macc saw the potential Geno had particularly throwing the deep ball, something Devin Smith was adept at. Macc brought in the first highly drafted WR prospect who had a good resume (compared to Stephen Hill who had 49 receptions in 3 years in college). Unfortunately Smith's career was derailed by 2 catastrophic knee injuries, the first injuries of his football career.

- If you remember correctly Lozo was selected after trading back in the 3rd round. We received 3 draft picks and WR Devier Posey in that deal, one of those picks was used to trade up to select Bryce Petty. Petty was a developmental QB with high upside, not a terrible investment in the 4th round. Lozo will likely be cut after training camp if he can not show anything of value. At the time of selection he was a high upside DE who recorded 40 tackles, 14 tackles for a loss, 10.5 sacks, 4 passes deflected and 4 forced fumbles his junior year. As far as a 3rd round trade back goes, not the worst gamble.

- We attempted to trade up to get the #1 pick to take Goff or Wentz, since we didn't have the ammo to get a deal done we stayed at our 20th overall pick. Harris was going into what would be his last year with the team. The biggest knock on Harris the last few years with the Jets were is lack of closing speed. With no heir apparent to our defense we chose to select the fastest LB with a 4.47 40 yard dash time (by comparison the average WR hits 4.56) Lee had the highest tackling efficiency rating for all rookie LBs for the 2016 season. His rookie campaign had it's highs and lows but that is to be expected from a rookie, let alone a rookie on the field with vets who clearly stopped playing. This season with Davis as a mentor, Lee looked to have finally found his stride along with Adams they combined to prevent Gronk from receiving a single target in our last game (first time in Gronk's career). With 3 years left on his rookie deal there is no reason to think the Lee won't continue to grow as a player.

- After attempting to trade up for a QB in round 1 Hack was taken in late in round 2. Grades on Hack were all over the map ranging anywhere from 2nd to 4th round, Macc saw the raw potential and decided a late 2nd was not the worst gamble to take on a QB. With the intention of signing Fitz back to the team, no other FA options this year, Hack would be allowed a redshirt season in an attempt to groom the QB many scouts thought he should have been after his freshman year a PSU. Ultimately a bad pick because no QB drafted that late in the 2nd round has ever panned out; high upside with the downside being losing 1 starter that could have been drafted instead. That is the price you need to pay to try and find a QB, not unlike the Packers taking Brohm in the 2nd round.

- Calvin Pace's last year with the Jets was 2015, we needed someone who could set the edge in his absence. When you say edge presence I assume you mean edge rusher since you said he is "more of an edge setter" which is exactly what he was drafted to do. This is your misinterpretation of the player not a flaw on the player himself. 

- You seem to be under the impression that Adams is a FS, again this is no fault of the player. Adams is a SS who plays up on the line of scrimmage. he recorded the 9th best run stopping grade and was 2nd in total run stops for safeties. He got better as the year went on, ending the season with Lee holding Gronk for 0 targets for the first time in his career. Adams played more snaps than any defensive back in the league this year, considering he is just a rookie he seems poised to make a big leap next year.

- Maye, as you said solid rookie year. Was thrown into the fire much like Adams. He struggled in pass coverage but overall has a good season in spite of having one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL and only 1 legitimate starting CB.

- Our intent was to select Alvin Kamara with our 3rd round pick but unfortunately the Saints traded up in front of us to ****** him before we could. We then traded back and selected Stewart, as you likely remember Stewart was not the only product of our original #70 pick. We also drafted Dylan Donahue and Eli McGuire thanks to that trade back. Donahue after having a promising camp was sidelined for the year during week 4 with a torn ligament in his elbow - Jury is still out on him. I won't pretend McGuire looks like any sort of world beater but considering he's a 6th round pick fighting for carries with Forte and Powell I'd say he has been a solid depth addition.

- Hindsight is a fantastic thing, unfortunately Vic Beasley was not considered the stud you make him out to be. Maybe your assessment is better than pro scouts but at the time Vic was ranked 13th to compared to Williams who was 1st 2015 Player Rankings Considering all the blown draft picks we had in the first round under the Rex regime, Macc decided to go with the safest player with the highest floor and highest ceiling. Yes hindsight you'd love to have Vic but at the time our roster could not roll the dice on a prospect when we had the best player on the board sitting there.

- I find it interesting someone who has been so upset with drafting defense would want to go defense with 1st and 2nd round picks especially when we had Harris under contract for 2 more years and we just spend a relatively high pick on Demario Davis just a few years earlier.

- Chris Ivory had just come off 5 seasons of 5.2, 4.7, 5.4, 4.6, & 4.1 YPC. With him under contract for 2015 (at age 26) and having Powell as a 2nd string back it made little sense to go RB this high in the draft. 

- Will Fuller with Decker and Marshall coming off the best WR seasons in Jets history in round 1?

- We drafted the fastest LB from the top defense in college to go sideline to sideline. 

- 4 LBs in 2 years in the top 3 picks? seems like a reach but whatever floats your boat.

- Arguably the top player in the draft and a born leader. Huge reason for the culture change in our locker room. Not only did the pick make sense from a weakness prospective but it sent a message to the rest of the team this is the type of player we want after cutting all the high priced vets beforehand.

- In a season where we were dead set on changing our culture you wanted a RB that was arrested 5 times. Don't get me wrong Cook is an amazing talent and I'd love to have him but he just made no sense for this organization at this point in time.

- I'll admit I wanted him as well but considering he is ranked the 32nd center in the NFL this year I'd say I'm okay with seeing what our current center had before investing a 3rd round pick in one.

Now with all that said there are good things that Macc has done as GM as well:

- 6th round pick got us the best statistical season for a Jets QB. The following year was a train wreck but there weren't many options for us to sign in FA and we didn't resign him until after the draft when we attempted to move up for Goff or Wentz. I think it's safe to assume we are happy we passed on Lynch during the 2016 draft.

- 5th round pick got us the best statistical season for a Jets WR in Marshall

- Signing ASJ off waivers, looks like we finally have a TE after years of searching

- Signing Ealy off waivers, he's simmered down after a good start but if he can be a roll player moving forward this was an addition of a young player without a draft pick.

- Trading Sheldon for Kearse and a 2nd round pick. This will be an integral piece to our QB equation if we need to trade up to draft our franchise QB

- Finding Robby Anderson as an UDFA

- Trading Calvin Pryor for Demario Davis

- Cutting Fitz, Decker, Marshall, Harris, Mangold, and Revis - all of which have done next to nothing. Allowing us to have the plethora of cap space this upcoming season.

Archived