2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

Macc might really have to decide who will be better between Cousins, Rosen, and Darnold. 

Allen is going to be in serious consideration whether we like it or not. Another report came out today suggesting that Dorsey may want to take Allen #1. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Can’t see us going Edge at 6 unless it’s Chubb. So really trying to dig into some 2nd Round talented Edge rushers. Hubbard, Armstrong and Sweat are guys that jump out to me.

Hubbard was impressive against USC, but his overall stats are very underwhelming.  He also has Bosa on the other side from him.  

37 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Allen is going to be in serious consideration whether we like it or not. Another report came out today suggesting that Dorsey may want to take Allen #1. 

I don't have a problem with that as of now. I don't see him as a day 1 starter, but I think he has the skills to be great. He's not perfect, but I see the bigger problems being his surrounding and coaching. His worst games came against Oregon, Boise State, and Iowa Hawkeyes. I remember Oregon shutting down his targets and I'm sure the other two did the same. His stat line would have looked better if he played the two games before the bowl game. 

I think sitting behind McCown (Who knows the system) for at least half a season so he can adapt would be huge for him. But because of the pressure on both the GM and Bowles, I think we're going all the way up for Darnold/Rosen or snatching Cousins. They can't ride completely on someone who may take longer to adapt.  

32 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The pre draft process will tell us a lot about Allen. Was it really his surrounding talent that caused his big drop off? We will see in workouts.

I agree. Normally around combine, certain things we don't see get pointed out. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

The pre draft process will tell us a lot about Allen. Was it really his surrounding talent that caused his big drop off? We will see in workouts.

His number is dropped due to losing a several key players to graduation.  In his case, we can't use his statistics to show what kind of qb he is because he is a pure gunslinger.  Just collecting a solid players around him and he will score a plenty of TDs.

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

His number is dropped due to losing a several key players to graduation.  In his case, we can't use his statistics to show what kind of qb he is because he is a pure gunslinger.  Just collecting a solid players around him and he will score a plenty of TDs.

How is that any different than Hackenberg though? No sense in drafting a QB that’s a project at 6 with a similar skill set to a 22yr old already on the roster. Waste the pick just bc he’s a couple inches taller? No thank you.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

How is that any different than Hackenberg though? No sense in drafting a QB that’s a project at 6 with a similar skill set to a 22yr old already on the roster. Waste the pick just bc he’s a couple inches taller? No thank you.

He's better than Hack IMO, but i'm not high on him and don't want him.  

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It doesn't matter where he will end up but Allen has much better talents than Hackenberg. Personally, I don't go for him neither.

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

He's better than Hack IMO, but i'm not high on him and don't want him.  

I’m not saying he’s better or not better. But he’s very similar. He has to sit and learn and has arm talent. We have that. Why waste the pick on that. I just don’t see it with him. Ya he lost talent but they also played a lot of nobody teams where he should put up stats is high school guys were playing with him if he’s that good. His stats against legit D1 talent is alarming as well.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m not saying he’s better or not better. But he’s very similar. He has to sit and learn and has arm talent. We have that. Why waste the pick on that. I just don’t see it with him. Ya he lost talent but they also played a lot of nobody teams where he should put up stats is high school guys were playing with him if he’s that good. His stats against legit D1 talent is alarming as well.

Not similar. He may have a chance to be another Pat Mahomes who actually won a backup job before the first week of his NFL. Hackenberg failed to get ahead of Petty in qb depth for 2 years in row. eh!

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I agree with not drafting him.  He's still ahead of where Hack was coming out of school though.  Allen has one of the strongest arms you'll ever see, is a much better athlete, and can make every NFL throw.  He struggles with accuracy like Hack, but is definitely better.  With that said, again, 100% agree that I don't want him because he is still a project.

Archived