2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

All I heard is that he ran for 100 yards in the first half, he is another guy who is always looking to run rather than pass, he would be the last guy on my list. I don't think he is the sharpest knife in the drawer. But than again they said the same thing about Terry Bradshaw when he was drafted. But Bradshaw did great on the field and off the field.

From what I've seen he always has his head up in the pocket looking to throw and not tuck away immediately.  That's why I like him.  So if he throws high and needs to add touch that can be taught. His arm and talent can't be taught.  Very similar situation to Watson last year except Watson played in bigger games.

16 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

From what I've seen he always has his head up in the pocket looking to throw and not tuck away immediately.  That's why I like him.  So if he throws high and needs to add touch that can be taught. His arm and talent can't be taught.  Very similar situation to Watson last year except Watson played in bigger games.

The question if is if he'll ever develop.  You look at a guy like Terrelle Pryor.  Pryor had a cannon of an arm and a ton of arm talent, but couldn't make it as an NFL QB.  Not saying that's what Lamar will become, but there' a chance.

5 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

The question if is if he'll ever develop.  You look at a guy like Terrelle Pryor.  Pryor had a cannon of an arm and a ton of arm talent, but couldn't make it as an NFL QB.  Not saying that's what Lamar will become, but there' a chance.

Lamar more so than anyone has to show his arm talent in Pre draft. We know he has a good arm, but accuracy and touch are the issue. He can’t run the ball 20 times a game in the NFL. So he will have to show he can pocket pass.

12 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I think he needs to develop as a passer. I could be wrong but I wouldnt rush his development. I would let him learn the NFL game before starting him as a rookie or even a second year guy.

I'm fine with one year but I don't think he needs two.  It's a crap shoot with QBs no matter the skill set.  Some come in right away and elevate the team.  Some never touch the field.  I think he's a good investment and would work if Morton is here.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Lamar more so than anyone has to show his arm talent in Pre draft. We know he has a good arm, but accuracy and touch are the issue. He can’t run the ball 20 times a game in the NFL. So he will have to show he can pocket pass.

I think touch can be worked on, and one of the reasons he runs so much is because he's that good and the focal point of the offense.  In the NFL he'll have pieces to work with him.

Again, take everything I say with a grain of salt I'm not locked into the draft like I used to be.

17 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'm fine with one year but I don't think he needs two.  It's a crap shoot with QBs no matter the skill set.  Some come in right away and elevate the team.  Some never touch the field.  I think he's a good investment and would work if Morton is here.

I agree because Morton will put him in situations where we move the pocket a bunch like the Eagles did with Wentz year one and those are the plays where his natural arm talent and athletic ability take over and he is the most accurate. 

I think we need to add pieces regardless. For instance, if we can’t get Cousins and know we have to draft a QB. Then OLine and RB have to be a priority in FA. Mainly OLine. To roll with the idea of Jackson being drafted by us. His situation reminds me of Dak but with more upside. Dak is not a great QB. But he was just it in a great situation. Great OLine and RB. If we can replicate that via FA and draft, then a young QB is set up to succeed. We’ve messed this up for years not surrounding our young QBs with talent. It’s time to change that.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I think we need to add pieces regardless. For instance, if we can’t get Cousins and know we have to draft a QB. Then OLine and RB have to be a priority in FA. Mainly OLine. To roll with the idea of Jackson being drafted by us. His situation reminds me of Dak but with more upside. Dak is not a great QB. But he was just it in a great situation. Great OLine and RB. If we can replicate that via FA and draft, then a young QB is set up to succeed. We’ve messed this up for years not surrounding our young QBs with talent. It’s time to change that.

Yes that's always been an issue.  Actually the reason Sanchez had success was bc Dougie and Tone were at their peak, Keller was decent and we had that OL and run game.  Then in one fell swoop the run game, OL and WRs all got worse and so did Sanchez.  Literally had no one to replace anyone.

2 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Yes that's always been an issue.  Actually the reason Sanchez had success was bc Dougie and Tone were at their peak, Keller was decent and we had that OL and run game.  Then in one fell swoop the run game, OL and WRs all got worse and so did Sanchez.  Literally had no one to replace anyone.

Exactly. Everyone wants to talk about how it was the defense those years (and it was). But it was also that we gave our young QB weapons. A good OLine, 2 good WRs, a decent TE and a good running game. When we let that all go after 2 years, that’s when the decline started. Really ruined Sanchez's career. He would have never been Brady. But atleast a franchise QB if we kept all that around for his 1st 5 seasons or so. We never gave Geno weapons period. Guys off the street we’re his WRs at times. While our weapons are better than that if when Geno was our starters... we still need more. I’d like another legit WR but that’s not at the top of our needs. But a star RB along with 2 or 3 OLineman is what we need. The defense will get better just by the offense being better. Look at the Cowboys last year. Not a good defense at all, but bc they controlled the clock with a great RB and OLine with some receiving weapons, it worked for them. That’s the model I want to go for. I’d love if Barkley fell in our lap at 6. Or if we can’t get Cousins... go all in on Bell in FA.

Just now, barnaby8787 said:

Kind of interesting but last week, an NFC exec said that Allen was Dorsey's guy.  Now a scout is saying the same thing.

I was just about to post this. Very interesting. I like him as a QB honestly, but this would be great if both Darnold and Rosen come out. 

Archived