2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I knew he looked into trade up for Mariota year 1. But price was too much. Same with Wentz year 2. But who did he try and trade up for last draft?

Looked to move up for Goff* (tried trading for the 1st overall pick). From what I understood at the time, he was not trying to move up to #2. 

Last year tried trading a package including our 2nd, 2018 1st, and then some for the 12th pick to select Watson, but the Browns liked the Texans' deal more. 

SportsCenter was just talking about how well Mahomes looked all year in practice. Adam said they "love" Mahomes and assumes he'll be the starter in 2018. That says a lot, especially how he was considered a project because of the system  he came from. 

Let's say McCown, A.Smith, T.Taylor, and Bradford hits the market. Who would you sign if your plan was to draft a QB with our first? 

9 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

SportsCenter was just talking about how well Mahomes looked all year in practice. Adam said they "love" Mahomes and assumes he'll be the starter in 2018. That says a lot, especially how he was considered a project because of the system  he came from. 

Let's say McCown, A.Smith, T.Taylor, and Bradford hits the market. Who would you sign if your plan was to draft a QB with our first? 

Personally, I'd sign Alex depending on his price and draft Mayfield to sit behind him for a year or two.

30 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

If McCown was guaranteed to stay healthy I’d just remain with him.

44 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Personally, I'd sign Alex depending on his price and draft Mayfield to sit behind him for a year or two.

Alex is my favorite behind Kirk Cousins. The problem is that he's coming off such a good year that there's no way he'll be outright cut. He's going to demand a lot in a trade, and chances are the Chiefs will work with him to find a destination that is willing to commit to him... IF Mahomes is going to be their starter next season. I wouldn't put it past them to keep Smith, give Mahomes another year on the bench, and let Alex walk after next year. 

2 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

The Colts/Texans game could be clutch for us.  If the Colts lose and the Giants win, the Colts get 2, and we could trade.  If the Texans lose, they could move up to 3, so if the Browns have 1 and 3 and Darnold doesn't come out, the Browns could trade out of 1 and take Mayfield at 3. Obviously a lot of different situations, but Sunday could be the most important day in this team's history in a while. 

Without a doubt the two biggest games for all teams looking to draft a top QB. If the Giants somehow pulled out a win and Colts lost, it changes the entire landscape at the top of the draft. 

Your second scenario is unlikely to happen due to SOS, but it can. If it did, I can definitely see the Browns trading at least one of those picks. I'm just speculating, but I get the feel that their top rated QBs go Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen. Tony Pauline isn't always right when it comes to his theories and speculation, but when he has a concrete source he's usually right. The fact that he came out and said John Dorsey said "stay away" from Rosen before he was hired by the Browns shouldn't be discounted... it aligns with Schefter's original article (which for some reason got lost in translation) which mainly spoke of how the Browns were giving Rosen "pause"... he also mentioned that Rosen may try to avoid the Browns, but it seems like the feeling is mutual. 

Now, listen to this interview as to what Dorsey saw in Mahomes; sounds a lot more like Mayfield and Darnold than it would Rosen. http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morning-football/0ap3000000807011/John-Dorsey-talks-Patrick-Mahomes-Jamaal-Charles

Dorsey has already gone on record praising Mayfield, has attended 6 of his live games, and has been a top scout for organizations that don't overanalyze QB height. 

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

It depends on how much we'd need to trade for Smith because I think that could prevent a team from leapfrogging us in the draft. Alex Smith's contract is very reasonable so I don't think he'll come cheap. If we sign McCown I think we may need to trade up because teams will know for sure that we are going QB round 1. 

I think the Tyrod would be a perfect match for the Jags, he doesn't turn the ball over and would probably commit to a multi-year $15M deal with them allowing for them to sign their young defensive talent moving forward.

I feel like teams that are picking behind us or unsure if they want a QB round 1 will sign Bradford. Teams like the Cardinals, Bills, and Broncos could all be in play for him. 

If I had my choice of POTENTIAL free agents I think McCarron and Bortles would be my preference on a Glennon type deal. However I think the Bengals are done with Dalton so McCarron will get a 1st round tender of franchise tag in that situation.

13 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Without a doubt the two biggest games for all teams looking to draft a top QB. If the Giants somehow pulled out a win and Colts lost, it changes the entire landscape at the top of the draft. 

Your second scenario is unlikely to happen due to SOS, but it can. If it did, I can definitely see the Browns trading at least one of those picks. I'm just speculating, but I get the feel that their top rated QBs go Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen. Tony Pauline isn't always right when it comes to his theories and speculation, but when he has a concrete source he's usually right. The fact that he came out and said John Dorsey said "stay away" from Rosen before he was hired by the Browns shouldn't be discounted... it aligns with Schefter's original article (which for some reason got lost in translation) which mainly spoke of how the Browns were giving Rosen "pause"... he also mentioned that Rosen may try to avoid the Browns, but it seems like the feeling is mutual. 

Now, listen to this interview as to what Dorsey saw in Mahomes; sounds a lot more like Mayfield and Darnold than it would Rosen. http://www.nfl.com/videos/good-morning-football/0ap3000000807011/John-Dorsey-talks-Patrick-Mahomes-Jamaal-Charles

Dorsey has already gone on record praising Mayfield, has attended 6 of his live games, and has been a top scout for organizations that don't overanalyze QB height. 

My biggest fear is Darnold doesn't come out and then Mayfield goes #1. If that happens, I want no part of a trade up. In that situation I think Rosen goes to the Giants, Allen goes to the Bills in a trade up for the Browns 2nd first rounder, which would leave us Jackson. I have no problem with Jackson but it scares me that no scouts or analysts have him in the 1st round. We really need Darnold to come out.

There's so many ways we can address the QB position. I'll be fine with like a dozen scenarios. The number one thing I want to see is the Jets go hard after their guy. If Cleveland shops their first pick, I want the Jets to go get the number one guy on their board. I don't want to hear after the draft that Jets were trying to trade up but got outbid. We are stuck in a perpetual QB disaster. Nobody should be outbidding us. Unless someone offers a wild contract $35+ per for Cousins, if Cousins is our guy, we should have the best offer out there. We should be sending limos to drop off brunch at his house. Whatever it takes. The Jets need to get it done this offseason.

If Darnold doesn't come out, I have the feeling that we're going to trade up for Allen. But it's wayyy to early.  

Giants could end up liking Allen the most. Darnold or Rosen could slip. I found myself wanting to love Drew Lock because his style is similar to Brees, but he doesn't scan the field and doesn't show a lot of pocket mobility. If he can adapt fast enough mentally, I wouldn't mind. It's all about the interviews for him. 

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

There's so many ways we can address the QB position. I'll be fine with like a dozen scenarios. The number one thing I want to see is the Jets go hard after their guy. If Cleveland shops their first pick, I want the Jets to go get the number one guy on their board. I don't want to hear after the draft that Jets were trying to trade up but got outbid. We are stuck in a perpetual QB disaster. Nobody should be outbidding us. Unless someone offers a wild contract $35+ per for Cousins, if Cousins is our guy, we should have the best offer out there. We should be sending limos to drop off brunch at his house. Whatever it takes. The Jets need to get it done this offseason.

I agree. 

I'm on the " Do what ever it takes" wagon.  Spend the money or trade the picks, but get the guy. 

27 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

If Darnold doesn't come out, I have the feeling that we're going to trade up for Allen. But it's wayyy to early.  

Giants could end up liking Allen the most. Darnold or Rosen could slip. I found myself wanting to love Drew Lock because his style is similar to Brees, but he doesn't scan the field and doesn't show a lot of pocket mobility. If he can adapt fast enough mentally, I wouldn't mind. It's all about the interviews for him. 

95 percent of college qbs don't scan the field well. That is bothering me. In NFL's scouting process, all qbs will be asked to go thru progression. I hope Jets get one that can scan the field well.   That is what my bandwagon's description is.

Archived