2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

The problem I have with trading to 2 right now is that I don't think Darnold is trade up worthy (assuming Rosen goes 1). Like I've stated with all the QB prospects... he has a few months to show that he is worthy of that spot. I don't view the idea of the top 2 picks of Rosen and Darnold even close to the same as when it was Goff and Wentz at 1 and 2. We tried trading up that year and didn't offer enough. I don't think we should offer the future at this stage for Darnold. At this stage if we are for sure going QB Round 1, I'd rather see us stay put or trade back and draft one of Jackson, Mayfield or Allen. I'd say just trade up to 1 and get Rosen bc I view him as trade up worthy, but I think there's now way the Browns don't select him at 1. Darnold could also go back to school, which could really alter things.

I don’t know what you guys are watching. Are people just looking at the int numbers?  Watching Darnold play this year I was still impressed, he’s EASILY a top 2 QB in the draft. Gun to my head I may take him over Rosen.

He will be the first pick if he declares though, so it’s pretty much irrelevant.

3 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

I don’t know what you guys are watching. Are people just looking at the int numbers?  Watching Darnold play this year I was still impressed, he’s EASILY a top 2 QB in the draft. Gun to my head I may take him over Rosen.

He will be the first pick if he declares though, so it’s pretty much irrelevant.

I love his skill set. On that alone I like him maybe more than Rosen. But his 21 turnovers this season can’t be ignored. 12 INTs and 9 Fumbles lost. That’s nearly 2 turnovers a game at the college level. That’s what will keep teams weary of him this whole draft process.

12 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

Completely agree, Darnold is the best prospect in this draft and better than all three of the 1st rounders last year.  Not the best year for him but there so much to like about his game.

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I love his skill set. On that alone I like him maybe more than Rosen. But his 21 turnovers this season can’t be ignored. 12 INTs and 9 Fumbles lost. That’s nearly 2 turnovers a game at the college level. That’s what will keep teams weary of him this whole draft process.

This is why I'm weary about him. His turnovers come when he is under pressure. Last year I think he was only sacked 8 times. That is a crazy low amount. Plus he has a slow release. It would be good to see him one more year at the college level. 

Some positive news out of Jets camp on Hack

"I can see he has a greater command than last year," offensive tackle Ben Ijalana told NJ.com's Connor Hughes. "I feel like he's improving as the weeks progress. It's hard to progress and get get better out of scout team. It requires a lot of focus. The way that it's scripted is for the other side of the ball's success. There's a lot of carryover that you can use for the starting offense and I feel he does that very well."

"He makes practice tough," rookie safety Marcus Maye said, according to Hughes. ... He knows where to go with the ball"

Wide receiver Jermaine Kearse said he feels Hackenberg hasn't let the lack of first-team reps in practice deter him. "He goes out there and he works on his game," Kearse told Hughes. "I think he takes his opportunity and his reps on scout team seriously. He sees it as an opportunity to improve. I think that's kind of the right attitude for him to continue to build his craft, his game and his confidence."

Still doesn't change the Jets QB situation. But it's nice to hear Hack's teammates speaking well of him.

Rosen literally does everything as a pocket passer BETTER than Darnold and with significantly less talent in the supporting cast. Mechanics, footwork, arm, throwing motion all better. Darnold is a little more athletic. Im taking Rosen everything single time. He is the best prospect in this class. 

4 hours ago, SDotNova said:

Some positive news out of Jets camp on Hack

"I can see he has a greater command than last year," offensive tackle Ben Ijalana told NJ.com's Connor Hughes. "I feel like he's improving as the weeks progress. It's hard to progress and get get better out of scout team. It requires a lot of focus. The way that it's scripted is for the other side of the ball's success. There's a lot of carryover that you can use for the starting offense and I feel he does that very well."

"He makes practice tough," rookie safety Marcus Maye said, according to Hughes. ... He knows where to go with the ball"

Wide receiver Jermaine Kearse said he feels Hackenberg hasn't let the lack of first-team reps in practice deter him. "He goes out there and he works on his game," Kearse told Hughes. "I think he takes his opportunity and his reps on scout team seriously. He sees it as an opportunity to improve. I think that's kind of the right attitude for him to continue to build his craft, his game and his confidence."

Still doesn't change the Jets QB situation. But it's nice to hear Hack's teammates speaking well of him.

Ijalana and Kearse had to say something positive about Hackenberg because they may face cap casualty after this season. lol

Anyhow... Hackenberg has been on the scout team for 2 years. It is going to be difficult for Jets to stay committed to him before the media circus. We will see.

5 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Rosen literally does everything as a pocket passer BETTER than Darnold and with significantly less talent in the supporting cast. Mechanics, footwork, arm, throwing motion all better. Darnold is a little more athletic. Im taking Rosen everything single time. He is the best prospect in this class. 

Agreed. Since August, the only QBs I mentioned as being #1 on my list is Josh Allen and Rosen. Switched to Rosen before the season started. Allen just moved back to my #2 spot now he's confirming what I believed he can do in this bowl game.

I don't think Darnold is bad, I just don't see him as being as good as the Rosen.

46 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

This games doesn't change how I view Allen but I hope it does for other teams.

Ya I actually have him rated 5th in the class after this season (maybe even worse than that). I don't care if he lost talent and what not. He threw only 16 TDs this season (1.3/per/game). That's not 1st Round talent if you ask me. Especially when you're playing opponents like Gardner Webb, Texas State, New Mexico, etc. In fact if you look at the schedule he played this year he was awful against legit D1 talent. Against Iowa, Oregon and Boise State (all losses) he threw 1 TD and 5 INTs with around a 42% competition percentage. A strong pass from me.

27 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

@AdamSchefter: Browns are giving UCLA QB Josh Rosen pause, as he would prefer to play for the NY Giants, per sources.

https://t.co/utbtn5lOel

m.twitter.com...

not really surprising to pick the Giants over the Browns. I'd have to imagine anyone else would feel the same way.

It would be a disaster if Rosen and Darnold don't declare because they don't want to go to Cleveland. 

6 hours ago, SDotNova said:

It would be a disaster if Rosen and Darnold don't declare because they don't want to go to Cleveland. 

If they do, we need to sign either a stopgap or a guy like Cousins.  Personally, I think Mayfield will be a stud, but you'd have to think that Allen, Mayfield, and Jackson would all go top 10.

Archived