2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

25 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

I'm the opposite I'm a Mayfield guy but I think we would be stupid to rule out Jackson this early

If Mac's picking, zero chance he takes Jackson.  Almost think there's zero chance we take Mayfield although i'm also a Mayfield guy.  My gut says, Mac wants Josh Allen.

5 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

If Mac's picking, zero chance he takes Jackson.  Almost think there's zero chance we take Mayfield although i'm also a Mayfield guy.  My gut says, Mac wants Josh Allen.

Based on his prior drafts (Petty and Hack), Allen seems to fit the mold of the QB Macc likes. 

But this is the first year we will draft a QB with John Morton's input. When Morton first got here, he said the most important thing a QB can do is protect the football. He also alluded to wanting QBs who make the right decision and are able to keep moving the chains. Not sure which of the QBs fits that mold the most. But this where Mayfield and Jackson might get a nudge up on our draft board.

13 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Unfortunately I think this is the case also.

IMO Rosen and Darnold are a mile ahead of all three. All of them would need almost a full year on the bench (we tried the “developmental” guy in Hackenbust already) unless we really address the offensive line and get a real RB to shoulder some of the load IMO.

I think in the end they draft Josh Allen, re sign McCown and keep Hack as the #3/scout team beast

3 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Based on his prior drafts (Petty and Hack), Allen seems to fit the mold of the QB Macc likes. 

But this is the first year we will draft a QB with John Morton's input. When Morton first got here, he said the most important thing a QB can do is protect the football. He also alluded to wanting QBs who make the right decision and are able to keep moving the chains. Not sure which of the QBs fits that mold the most. But this where Mayfield and Jackson might get a nudge up on our draft board.

Just going on the fit for the offense, Morton likely wants a pocket passer who has some mobility.  Allen fits the mold of that better than Mayfield and Jackson.  

2 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

IMO Rosen and Darnold are a mile ahead of all three. All of them would need almost a full year on the bench (we tried the “developmental” guy in Hackenbust already) unless we really address the offensive line and get a real RB to shoulder some of the load IMO.

I think in the end they draft Josh Allen, re sign McCown and keep Hack as the #3/scout team beast

I agree, although if either Darnold or Rosen don't come out, I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants go Allen at 2.  I still am on the Mayfield boat.  I think he's the type that will struggle in the beginning, but find ways to win games, eventually turning into a very solid QB.  But time will tell.

5 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Just going on the fit for the offense, Morton likely wants a pocket passer who has some mobility.  Allen fits the mold of that better than Mayfield and Jackson.  

Why do you feel he would want a traditional pocket passer? Is that thought based on something he said or are you basing it on your gut? 

11 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Why do you feel he would want a traditional pocket passer? Is that thought based on something he said or are you basing it on your gut? 

Just based off the plays ran this year and his influences from New Orleans.  Not saying he couldn't adjust it to Jackson or Mayfield, but Allen seems like the best fit based off of what we know.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

A lot of what a system wants is what every system wants. Really what our system relies on is accuracy. But doesn’t every system rely on that? 

Accuracy and timing, yeah.  But the majority of offenses are predicated on QB's throwing out of the pocket. 

3 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

Just based off the plays ran this year and his influences from New Orleans.  Not saying he couldn't adjust it to Jackson or Mayfield, but Allen seems like the best fit based off of what we know.

Allen seems like the best fit for Macc but if Morton has any input there could be a serious case for Mayfield. I think Allen would come next and the Jackson.

14 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

I agree that seams to be the best way to go, and it is the safest thing to do. We just can't blow our offseason moves this year.

Things I want in this order:

1) If the opportunity does arise to trade up to #1 for Darnold then I pull the trigger

2) If that's not a possibility then I look to sign Cousins 

3) If the above 2 options are out of play then I look to trade up with the Browns 2nd pick to take Mayfield

4) Sit and pray a QB will fall to us I'd prefer Mayfield/Jackson/Allen in that order

Serious question here, if Rosen and Darnold put enough pressure on Cleveland to not draft them/threaten to hold out, do you guys think there's a chance that Cleveland sign a QB, trades out of 1, and takes Allen, Mayfield, or Jackson with Houston's pick (likely 4)?  Speaking purely in hypotheticals because if they go that route, we could likely offer this years first, two seconds, and next years first which should be enough to get up to 1.   

21 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Serious question here, if Rosen and Darnold put enough pressure on Cleveland to not draft them/threaten to hold out, do you guys think there's a chance that Cleveland sign a QB, trades out of 1, and takes Allen, Mayfield, or Jackson with Houston's pick (likely 4)?  Speaking purely in hypotheticals because if they go that route, we could likely offer this years first, two seconds, and next years first which should be enough to get up to 1.   

I believe this is exactly what will happen. It makes no sense not to trade out if neither QB wants to play there when you can select Mayfield/Allen/Jackson at 4

Archived