2017 College Football / Scouting

rickyt31

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Drafting Darnokd will be no different than what we are doing with Hack. String pass on him from me. When we address QB this offseason it can’t be a big question mark like that. IMO this team needs to find a way at all costs to get Cousins or Rosen. Period.

I don't think you should look at this passed game as the reason not to draft Darnold. I'd also say not to look solely at last years bowl game to say draft him. What's insane is he broke Palmers all time passing record after losing 3 OL and 2 WR to the NFL. If we get an opportunity to take Darnold I hope we do. I want no part of trading up for Rosen. He seems primed for early retirement due to concussions and his family being doctors. He had questionable commitment before suffering the head injuries so that's too big of a red flag. If we don't have a shot at Darnold and Rosen is there when we pick I'd have no problem taking him, my only issue is giving up what's needed to get to #1 to select him.

7 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I don't think you should look at this passed game as the reason not to draft Darnold. I'd also say not to look solely at last years bowl game to say draft him. What's insane is he broke Palmers all time passing record after losing 3 OL and 2 WR to the NFL. If we get an opportunity to take Darnold I hope we do. I want no part of trading up for Rosen. He seems primed for early retirement due to concussions and his family being doctors. He had questionable commitment before suffering the head injuries so that's too big of a red flag. If we don't have a shot at Darnold and Rosen is there when we pick I'd have no problem taking him, my only issue is giving up what's needed to get to #1 to select him.

The guy leads FBS in turnovers on a pretty talented team. It’s nit like he has nothing to work with. Hack had 1/2 te talent he did his junior year with maybe the worst OLine in FBS that year and only turned the ball over 6 times total. Darnold three 6 INTs in the 1st 3 games this season. This is not saying Hack is good. It’s saying that there’s no way any team should spend a 1st a Rounder on a QB that turns the ball over this much. 

Just now, Bobby816 said:

The guy leads FBS in turnovers on a pretty talented team. It’s nit like he has nothing to work with. Hack had 1/2 te talent he did his junior year with maybe the worst OLine in FBS that year and only turned the ball over 6 times total. Darnold three 6 INTs in the 1st 3 games this season. This is not saying Hack is good. It’s saying that there’s no way any team should spend a 1st a Rounder on a QB that turns the ball over this much. 

Not saying he hasn't regressed but USCs OL is trash and have gone through a ton of them due to injury or bad play. Them losing 3 starters to the NFL definitely has some cause for his regression.

6 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Not saying he hasn't regressed but USCs OL is trash and have gone through a ton of them due to injury or bad play. Them losing 3 starters to the NFL definitely has some cause for his regression.

He’s not the 1st guy to have a bad OLine. I just pointed out Hacks stats with a worse OLine. Has a QB ever been drafted before high that’s lead FBS in turnovers?

26 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He’s not the 1st guy to have a bad OLine. I just pointed out Hacks stats with a worse OLine. Has a QB ever been drafted before high that’s lead FBS in turnovers?

The fumbles can be corrected. Darnold threw what 13 picks this year? I think Watson threw 17-18 his senior year and he was on pace to be a top 5 QB this year.

Darnold is still legit 

23 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

The fumbles can be corrected. Darnold threw what 13 picks this year? I think Watson threw 17-18 his senior year and he was on pace to be a top 5 QB this year.

Darnold is still legit 

17 int in Watson's junior in successful offense vs 13int in Darnold's sophomore in pathetic offense.  No scouts should quit on him yet.

13 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Darnold looked awful. Just like I’ve stated his been all season. He needs to stay at USC another year. Those turnovers need to stop. You can’t draft a guy top 10 with that turnover rate.

No, you can.  The fumbles are more alarming than the picks.  You can teach ball security though.  

If you breakdown Darnold stats when he is under pressure vs. not, his accuracy drops off significantly (I think it's 59% adjusted for drops etc (don't quote me)). That's been a red flag for me for some time now. I posted the PFF stats a week or two ago. 

I much prefer Rosen. If we don't get Cousins and the Browns want to trade out of the first pick, I say let's go get Rosen.

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

If you breakdown Darnold stats when he is under pressure vs. not, his accuracy drops off significantly (I think it's 59% adjusted for drops etc (don't quote me)). That's been a red flag for me for some time now. I posted the PFF stats a week or two ago. 

I much prefer Rosen. If we don't get Cousins and the Browns want to trade out of the first pick, I say let's go get Rosen.

59% under pressure is still pretty good if i'm not mistaken.  Either way, I prefer Rosen as well.  Only concern with Rosen is injuries.  With that said, I still love Mayfield.

7 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

Random, but I didn't see anyone mention how terrible Lamar was today.  

Unfortunately he was very bad. Career high in ints today and missed high on a bunch of throws. 

On the other hand he was the whole team. 31 passes and 24 rushes is nuts. 

Jackson’s fundamentals throwing wise are all off. He’s not lazy at all, but his throwing motion is. Which leads to Passes sailing on him way too often. He also doesn’t seem to know when to put touch on the ball. Everything is pretty much thrown at the same speed.

15 hours ago, barnaby8787 said:

Random, but I didn't see anyone mention how terrible Lamar was today.  

All I heard is that he ran for 100 yards in the first half, he is another guy who is always looking to run rather than pass, he would be the last guy on my list. I don't think he is the sharpest knife in the drawer. But than again they said the same thing about Terry Bradshaw when he was drafted. But Bradshaw did great on the field and off the field.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Jackson’s fundamentals throwing wise are all off. He’s not lazy at all, but his throwing motion is. Which leads to Passes sailing on him way too often. He also doesn’t seem to know when to put touch on the ball. Everything is pretty much thrown at the same speed.

This is true. I really hate when Qbs miss high all the time. The only qb that I can remember that has kind of gotten away with that is Cam and that's because he can run and take the beating. 

When Lamar's on the run though his throws are accurate and leading the wr more often than not. 

Archived