2018 MLB GDT IT’S HEREEEEE

bigbadbuff23835

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

Hit tool =/= contact tool

He has he highest xBABIP ever recorded in a single season since they started tracking that ****.  He’s a .300 hitter who had one slump.

But you can't ignore contact. And basing hit tool on xBABIP (or BABIP) is foolish. Not enough correlation year to year and especially with xBABIP it still has a long way to go.

His contact% isn't great. His percent hard contact isn't great. Nor is his percent soft contact (too high). He doesn't profile as a plus hit tool. (This years stats. They were better last season)

1 hour ago, mission27 said:

Tbh you are just wrong.  Saying Aaron Judge does not have an above average hit tool is absurd.

Hes also very fast, he just doesn’t steal bases because he doesn’t need to.

Statcast disagrees with you.  For his size, he moves very well.  But when compared to normal size baseball players, he's nothing special at all.  For the first part, see below.  

11 minutes ago, mse326 said:

But you can't ignore contact. And basing hit tool on xBABIP (or BABIP) is foolish. Not enough correlation year to year and especially with xBABIP it still has a long way to go.

His contact% isn't great. His percent hard contact isn't great. Nor is his percent soft contact (too high). He doesn't profile as a plus hit tool.

12 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sprint_speed_leaderboard

Dansby Swanson is tied for #17 so far this season in top speed on the bases. Does that give him plus speed?

He has 8 career stolen bases in 200 MLB games.

And Judge is -1.5 BsR in his career, so fast or not, he's not helping. So can we count that as a + tool?

2 hours ago, pollino14 said:

Mission, I do not get tired what so ever of you talking up Judge every time he does something good! Have a feeling we’ll be seeing one of those posts tonight!

The great thing about me is, I don't really care if he does well or not, I will find some excuse to talk him up. 

Also Stanton just hit an almost Judgian home run.  Still not as powerful as Judge, but a real cs blast. 

2 hours ago, mse326 said:

His contact% isn't great. His percent hard contact isn't great. Nor is his percent soft contact (too high). He doesn't profile as a plus hit tool. (This years stats. They were better last season)

Not saying you can ignore contact.  Its part of the equation.  Pure hitting ability (basically batting average) is rate of contact + quality of contact, right?

I'm just saying, even if he has a below average contact rate, if he has the best contact quality in all of baseball on average, he's gotta wash out as a plus hitter.  Babe Ruth led the league in strikeouts several times.  He was an 80 hitter.  ARod struck out a ton, he was clearly a plus plus hitter.  Judge strikes out a lot more but strikeouts are also much more common today.  And he doesn't have to be Babe Ruth or ARod to be a plus hitter. 

Tbh even if he's a .280 hitter, a .280 hitter in the big leagues has a plus hit tool.  Since the start of last season he's a .289 hitter with a .427 OBP.  That's a plus hitter, realistically.  Its pretty damn hard to OPS 1.000 in the big leagues without a plus hit tool. 

Just now, redsoxsuck05 said:

btw lol @mission27 nobody actually thinks Judge has plus speed, including you. You just really want to say he's 5 tool bc it sounds sexy.

I think Aaron Judge probably has a better 40 time than at least half of the players in MLB.  That's plus speed. 

"Baserunning" is not a tool.  Tools are physical abilities.  Aaron Judge is one of the best athletes in baseball and is a 5 tool player.

1 minute ago, mission27 said:

Not saying you can ignore contact.  Its part of the equation.  Pure hitting ability (basically batting average) is rate of contact + quality of contact, right?

I'm just saying, even if he has a below average contact rate, if he has the best contact quality in all of baseball on average, he's gotta wash out as a plus hitter.  Babe Ruth led the league in strikeouts several times.  He was an 80 hitter.  ARod struck out a ton, he was clearly a plus plus hitter.  Judge strikes out a lot more but strikeouts are also much more common today.  And he doesn't have to be Babe Ruth or ARod to be a plus hitter. 

Tbh even if he's a .280 hitter, a .280 hitter in the big leagues has a plus hit tool.  Since the start of last season he's a .289 hitter with a .427 OBP.  That's a plus hitter, realistically.  Its pretty damn hard to OPS 1.000 in the big leagues without a plus hit tool. 

His hit tool is like an 80 relative to his height, but it's probably like a 55 at best compared to everyone else.

Just now, redsoxsuck05 said:

His hit tool is like an 80 relative to his height, but it's probably like a 55 at best compared to everyone else.

We'll see.  If he's a .290 hitter in the big leagues, thats a plus hit tool.  If he's a .300 hitter thats plus plus.  Neither would shock me tbh.  

1 minute ago, mission27 said:

I think Aaron Judge probably has a better 40 time than at least half of the players in MLB.  That's plus speed. 

"Baserunning" is not a tool.  Tools are physical abilities.  Aaron Judge is one of the best athletes in baseball and is a 5 tool player.

Dude you were saying he had better than 60 speed...

Archived