Has there ever been a draft with this much QB Hype?

Chargers

1 minute ago, Classic said:

I haven't been following the NFL draft for all that long (2012), but does anyone remember if the '04 or '05 or any past draft having this much buzz surrounding QBs? Is it because of Social Media?

The 1983 draft had 6 QBs in the 1st round, 3 of which were HOF caliber.

The Manning/Ben/Rivers draft was pretty hyped as well.

This one is the most hyped in about a decade though...although 2012 with Luck/RGIII was to an extent.

I mean, Andrew Luck alone probably had more hype than these guys combined lol. But yeah, I'd say that Manning / Rivers / Ben draft. And people forget about that 1999 draft. Those two probably didn't have as much hype just because of the proliferation of modern day media in comparison, but if you transported those draft classes to present day, I certainly think they'd be comparable. 

1983 had 6 QBs go in the 1st, including Elway at #1 overall, who was considered the absolute prototype for the position. Three of the six ended up in the Hall of Fame and two others ended up as competent starters.

1999 had QBs go at 1, 2, 3, 11, 12, 50. Three of the five QBs busted pretty hard, but McNabb and Culpepper were good.

The QBs in both of those drafts were hyped way more than this class. 1983 class ended up delivering on the promise and is considered one of, if not the best overall draft class of all time. Interestingly, both years also featured two elite RBs, Eric Dickerson and Curt Warner in '83, Edgerrin James and Rickey Williams in '99.

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean, Andrew Luck alone probably had more hype than these guys combined lol. But yeah, I'd say that Manning / Rivers / Ben draft. And people forget about that 1999 draft. Those two probably didn't have as much hype just because of the proliferation of modern day media in comparison, but if you transported those draft classes to present day, I certainly think they'd be comparable. 

Stole my line.

And lets not forget the 2005 class with Young, Leinart, and Cutler. There was so much media hype surrounding that.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

What about 2005 and 2008 drafts with Rodgers, Smith, Ryan and Flacco?

Some I see have already said it but here it is in terms of 1st rounders.

Tim Couch

Donovan McNabb

Akili Smith

Daunte Culpepper

Cade McNown

Could argue 1999 was better, all was within the top 12 but of course it was not in the social media age of today.  Then again if this year has a four in the top five at QBs that would be the first time ever I believe.

Eli Manning

Phillip Rivers

Ben Roethlisberger

JP Losman

This group is by far the best and could argue none of the QBs in 2018 will be as good as the top three QBs here.  No way I would take any of the guys this year in 2018 over Eli Manning as a QB prospect.

Cam Newton

Jake Locker

Blaine Gabbert

Christian Ponder

Just a lot of team need at that position and plenty of reaches of course, no real stars though outside of Cam.  If anyone watched Gabbert and Locker in college, even Ponder none of them were really that good, just the teams needed at QB at the time.  

Andrew Luck

Robert Griffin III

Ryan Tannehill

Brandon Weeden

Ok group but only really one of them, be curious what would have happened if Griffin did not get injured so much but really he got injured a few times in college as well.  Then again Luck has got injured a damn hell of a lot so far in the NFL as well.

Then top two picks were QBs in 2015 and 2016.

This year I think it is just because Darnold and Rosen, people seemed to really like them both coming into this season and both were so accomplished already based on the season before.  Not often that happens with two.  Then again looking back they are not that amazing of QBs, I would take Wentz over either one all day long, and could argue maybe even Watson over them as well.  Then with Allen he is very rare but super talented, Jackson as well is a freak show athlete with tons of upside.  And Mayfield who is arguably more ready to go now and proven on the field than any.  Is a lot of QB talk though for sure but it is because of the number of them, because just look at next year in 2019, do not have near the QB talent than this group potentially has.  Some could rise up next year but as it is now, better get your QB this year.  

Has been a switch to now teams are willing to draft a QB regardless of system.  Used to be certain system guys were not drafted highly but now it does not matter because almost every college team runs that zone read stuff constantly with air raid principles.  Could say every one of the top 4 out of the 5 QBs in 2018 ran it outside of Josh Allen, and honestly Rosen even he did a little bit of zone read to keep the defense "honest".  So it is so common place, QBs sure can have a lot of success in college, that obviously does not always translate over off a zone read or air raid offense.  Just ask Paxton Lynch, Marcus Mariota, Brett Hundley, Johnny Manziel, EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Robert Griffin III, Brandon Weeden, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker and Colin Kaepernick and others...  Will tell a lot in the next few years with Goff, Mahomes, Watson and Trubisky and how they do.  Still not sold on Mariota and still do believe they have to protect him a lot on offense because his run first tendencies which honestly is one of his best abilities now and was in college.  Cam Newton is obviously having that trouble as well, but is bigger and can take the hits but does have to be completely catered to on offense.  

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Cam Newton

Jake Locker

Blaine Gabbert

Christian Ponder

Just a lot of team need at that position and plenty of reaches of course, no real stars though outside of Cam.  If anyone watched Gabbert and Locker in college, even Ponder none of them were really that good, just the teams needed at QB at the time.  

And don't forget Andy Dalton, Colin Kaepernick, and Ryan Mallet were much-discussed prospects who were drafted outside the first round. Not a great crop, aside from Cam, but ESPN laid on the QB hype pretty strong. They even prematurely dubbed it "The Year of the Quarterback"...only to watch Luck return to school, after all.

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

The 1983 draft had 6 QBs in the 1st round, 3 of which were HOF caliber.

The Manning/Ben/Rivers draft was pretty hyped as well.

This one is the most hyped in about a decade though...although 2012 with Luck/RGIII was to an extent.

Yeah, Marino was the last of those 6 QB's picked near the end of round 1, so you know it was a real hyped QB class!!!

The 83 draft......I call it the 84 Draft......it's a old school thing! Was the best for so many years until now!!!!!!!! This is the highest and deepest hyped draft since 83...84! Although the 04 draft was solid just i think it was quality over quantity in that draft......everybody knew the  top 3 were guaranteed franchise QB'S!!!! Can't wait to see how this one works out 

Archived