Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

15 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Well, we have one year for all of that to happen. You know, everyone else plays optimally while John jacks up shots and looks for primary assists.

After next year, that John Wall contract............. it's all over.

If you honestly think everyone else is playing well while John drags the team down then you're delusional. This team, without John, is dead in the water. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

If you honestly think everyone else is playing well while John drags the team down then you're delusional. This team, without John, is dead in the water. 

But... but... but they had a good February while teams had no film on how to defend them with Sato as the starting PG... ? xD

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

You missed a hint of sarcasm in my post. That led you to the above retort.

BTW... they were one game over .500 without Wall... much more than that when Beal wasn't playing hero ball. That's not "dead in the water." "Dead in the water" is hysterics.

Again, you're good with a doubling contract the year after next? A guy that relies on speed but has had three knee surgeries?

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

But... but... but they had a good February while teams had no film on how to defend them with Sato as the starting PG... ? xD

That's true. What else is true is that teams figured out how to guard Beal. Remember, Beal's shooting % declined without Wall. Otto's (and many others) went up. Hmm......

21 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

That's true. What else is true is that teams figured out how to guard Beal. Remember, Beal's shooting % declined without Wall. Otto's (and many others) went up. Hmm......

Yes, Beal went to being the #1 option and the only consistent playmaking player on the Wizards with Wall out. He played more PG and had to carry the team more which led to him trying to do too much at times - which Wall also does often as well.

Porter became the 2nd option which means he actually had plays run for him to get him open shots and he shot more. I absolutely love Porter and know he can be a consistent 20 point a game scorer. Porter got better shots when this happened instead of sometimes getting the ball when the shot clock was going down as Wall and/or Beal didn’t get a good look.

The clear issue is Scott Brooks. Brooks wants his two best players to play too much isolation ball and if they can’t get their own shot, kick it out to shooters - he did the same thing in OKC - the offense needs more structure at times, particularly in the 4th quarter. Until Brooks adds more variety in his offensive sets like Stevens, Pop, Spolstra & Brown do, the team will continue to be as it is. 

Beyond moving Gortat for another teams reserve or late 1st/2nd round pick before the draft and re-signing Mike Scott and Ty Lawson; they need to have Oubre and Sato become more consistent jump shooters. When they were knocking down open shots in February the team was above .500 that month, when they went cold the team dropped to the 8 seed and were bounced out of the first round of the playoffs.

I think the best course of action is for Lawson to be Wall’s main back up next year and for Sato to work this offseason on being a better off the ball catch and shoot guy. If Oubre can inch closer to shooting 40% from 3 like Wall continues to do then it will help the Wizards second unit and they can rest starters more during the season so they stay healthy and are more fresh in the playoffs.

Edited by turtle28

• 2 weeks later...

Robert Williams Is the Best Big-Man NBA Prospect You’re Overlooking! Wizards please!

https://www.theringer.com/2018/3/22/17149150/robert-williams-texas-am-sweet-16?utm_campaign=theringer&utm_content=entry&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter 

I hope we draft him so bad. An athletic center who has a mid range game and is a great defender is exactly what we need!

30 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

If we draft anyone but Lonnie Walker or Bruce Brown, were crazy 

I don’t think Lonnie Walker is going to be there for us and Bruce Brown isn’t even on the radar to be a 1st round pick. We could take him in round 2 I guess.

The Wizards had better get a young athletic big who is a great defender. That’s what they need the most on this team and that’s the kind of big man Wall needs to work with on offense. Then, obviously we need that kind of athletic big on defense that can defend like Robert Williams so we can not only protect the paint with a rim protector but also defend the three-point like when we face stretch 5’s like Embid, Horford, Love, Olynk, Caminski, Myles Turner etc.

The only other alternative with the way the team is currently constructed to defend stretch 5’s better is play Morris more at center and re-sign Scott or sign/draft  another PF to back up Morris and have those two play the majority of the minutes as our bugs instead of playing a true center like Gortat/Mahinmi 40 plus of the minutes at center. We need to get more athletic at the C position, and we need to have a C that can defend stretch 5’s. The best option for that in the draft for us is probably Robert Williams and he may actually be the best defensive big man in the entire draft. He can be our Capella, like Capella is for the Rockets.

A Pacers fan on fanside wrote this article. He wants the Pacers to trade for Porter and here are his potential Indiana Pacers players he considers as trade candidates. 

https://8points9seconds.com/2018/05/16/pacers-trade-candidates-otto-porter/

He gave options of who the Pacers could trade for Otto Porter in his article, would you do it?

To me one thing that could work would be Porter for Bogdanovic, Sabonis, TJ Leaf and the Pacers 23rd overall pick?

For one, in this trade we’d gain about $10 million in cap space which we can use to re-sign Mike Scott and Ty Lawson. Then, if we trade Gortat for a draft pick or reserve player we’d get $16 million more off our books. So, we’d have $20 to 26 million more in cap space depending on who traded for.

Obviously we’d get Bogdanovic back and his offensive game to replace Porter as our starting SF. We’d lose out in rebounding and defense in this swap but offensively the two players are about equal and BoBuckets has no conscience sometimes on offense which honestly the Wizards need sometimes.

Then, getting two young talented bigs to develop like Sabonis and TJ Leaf would be nice. If we trade away Gortat, Sabonis would step right in and be our starting center and be an upgrade there. Leaf needs development and needs to get stronger but he is a young big with a lot of offensive talent. Then we’d also get another draft pick so we could draft a young point guard or wing player to develop behind Wall, Beal, Bogdanovic, Oubre and Sato.

What do you think? 

I guess if you’re looking for a trade from this team to make them a championship contender, this isn’t the trade but it is a trade that give us younger bigs, a good scorer on the wing to replace Porter and a draft pick.

So, this trade would be something to help us in the future and gain cap space, but probably not immediately make us a contender this year. So, I could see some thinking it’s a trade that doesn’t get us any closer to a championship but I’d be excited about getting young bigs like Sabonis and Leaf and seeing less of guys like Gortat, Mahinmi and Jason Smith.

With the extra cap space after trading away Gortat too, we could also sign an even better center than Sabonis.

The trade I’d love for the Wizards to make is Porter and other parts (possibly Morris) for Kawhai Leonard - but I don’t think he’s going to agree to come to DC. Or, I’d love to trade Porter and Gortat/Morris for Paul George, but again I don’t think George has any interest in playing in DC. I think he’s either going to stay in OKC or be like Leonard and force a trade to LA.

Edited by turtle28

41 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

A Pacers fan on fanside wrote this article. He wants the Pacers to trade for Porter and here are his potential Indiana Pacers players he considers as trade candidates. 

https://8points9seconds.com/2018/05/16/pacers-trade-candidates-otto-porter/

He gave options of who the Pacers could trade for Otto Porter in his article, would you do it?

To me one thing that could work would be Porter for Bogdanovic, Sabonis, TJ Leaf and the Pacers 23rd overall pick?

For one, in this trade we’d gain about $10 million in cap space which we can use to re-sign Mike Scott and Ty Lawson. Then, if we trade Gortat for a draft pick or reserve player we’d get $16 million more off our books. So, we’d have $20 to 26 million more in cap space depending on who traded for.

Obviously we’d get Bogdanovic back and his offensive game to replace Porter as our starting SF. We’d lose out in rebounding and defense in this swap but offensively the two players are about equal and BoBuckets has no conscience sometimes on offense which honestly the Wizards need sometimes.

Then, getting two young talented bigs to develop like Sabonis and TJ Leaf would be nice. If we trade away Gortat, Sabonis would step right in and be our starting center and be an upgrade there. Leaf needs development and needs to get stronger but he is a young big with a lot of offensive talent. Then we’d also get another draft pick so we could draft a young point guard or wing player to develop behind Wall, Beal, Bogdanovic, Oubre and Sato.

What do you think? 

I guess if you’re looking for a trade from this team to make them a championship contender, this isn’t the trade but it is a trade that give us younger bigs, a good scorer on the wing to replace Porter and a draft pick.

So, this trade would be something to help us in the future and gain cap space, but probably not immediately make us a contender this year. So, I could see some thinking it’s a trade that doesn’t get us any closer to a championship but I’d be excited about getting young bigs like Sabonis and Leaf and seeing less of guys like Gortat, Mahinmi and Jason Smith.

With the extra cap space after trading away Gortat too, we could also sign an even better center than Sabonis.

The trade I’d love for the Wizards to make is Porter and other parts (possibly Morris) for Kawhai Leonard - but I don’t think he’s going to agree to come to DC. Or, I’d love to trade Porter and Gortat/Morris for Paul George, but again I don’t think George has any interest in playing in DC. I think he’s either going to stay in OKC or be like Leonard and force a trade to LA.

I don’t think the Pacers would do this trade.  Sabonis looked good this year and Bog looked solid in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I don’t think the Pacers would do this trade.  Sabonis looked good this year and Bog looked solid in the playoffs.

Yeah, that’s what I thought too but a Pacers fan came up with it.

Im with @Skinsin2013 though, Porter showed when Wall was out and he was the second option that he’s more than capable of doing more on the offensive end. Porter’s problem isn’t efficiency, it’s a volume problem in DC. He just doesn’t get enough shots because Wall and Beal take most of them - which I don’t see changing.

I think Porter on a team where he’s a clear #2, having plays run for him and getting more shots is near a 20 pt a game scorer but that won’t happen in DC as the 3rd option playing with Wall and Beal.

I’d also say that BoBuckets had a few good games in the playoffs vs the Cavs but then he had some real stinkers like he did while with the Wizards last playoffs vs the Celtics.

In game 7 vs the Cavs he was 1-9 with just 3 points after going just 4-12 in game 6 for just 10 points. Overall, his averages were down in the playoffs vs what he did in the regular season; 14 pts in the regular season vs 12 pts per game in the playoffs.

So I wouldn’t suggest for one minute that Bogdanovic is better than Porter, especially when you factor in defense and rebounding where Porter is clearly better. 

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Im with @Skinsin2013 though, Porter showed when Wall was out and he was the second option that he’s more than capable of doing more on the offensive end. Porter’s problem isn’t efficiency, it’s a volume problem in DC. He just doesn’t get enough shots because Wall and Beal take most of them - which I don’t see changing.

I think Porter on a team where he’s a clear #2, having plays run for him and getting more shots is near a 20 pt a game scorer but that won’t happen in DC as the 3rd option playing with Wall and Beal.

Which is why, even if you don't like the veterans that come back with the deal, the Wizards should take it. Getting another cheap first round pick would be a wise investment. I don't know if there is the equivalent in the NBA of the Jimmy Johnson trade chart, but if the Wizards had 15 and 23, they could in theory go up the board to get someone like Lonnie Walker (I couldn't tell you squat about him, other than he was mentioned by Jeezy and you said you didn't think he'd be available). Clearing up the cap is just an added side bonus (but a very worthwhile one).

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Woz said:

Which is why, even if you don't like the veterans that come back with the deal, the Wizards should take it. Getting another cheap first round pick would be a wise investment. I don't know if there is the equivalent in the NBA of the Jimmy Johnson trade chart, but if the Wizards had 15 and 23, they could in theory go up the board to get someone like Lonnie Walker (I couldn't tell you squat about him, other than he was mentioned by Jeezy and you said you didn't think he'd be available). Clearing up the cap is just an added side bonus (but a very worthwhile one).

Jeezy wants Lonnie Walker because he plays for Miami. He’s a good player but he’s also a SG, so while it’s a position we need depth in behind Beal and Walker would certainly bring bench scoring, it’s not like he’s going to be a starter for the Wizards - maybe ever - because we have Beal.

The top 10 picks in the NBA draft are worth more than top 10 picks in the NFL IMO because the talent gap is so wide for those top 10 basketball players vs the talent gap between top 10 NFL players vs the rest of the first round. Then, you also have to consider that only 10 players are on the court at once and they play offense and defense, so one great player in basketball has more of an impact than one great player in football.

I don’t think any NBA team is going to trade a top 10 pick for #15 & 23. The top 10 pick is likely to be an all-star where the #15 & 23 picks you’re just hoping can become starters but may just end up being bench players.

Edited by turtle28

Kawhi Leonard WANTS TO LEAVE! This Is Why youtu.be/Et1Ej34RaEc via @YouTube

Hint, it’s about money. His management team wants him in a larger market so he can get a shoe deal like KD and others. That’s why he’s been linked to LA and other big cities.