Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Just for the record the Wizards w/o John Wall were just eliminated from the playoffs. Last year they made it bc he came back and got them in.

And then lost in the first round.

Stumbling into the 8 seed in the East is not a great accomplishment. To be honest, the fact that they've won multiple games in March is more to the team's detriment.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Woz said:

And then lost in the first round.

Stumbling into the 8 seed in the East is not a great accomplishment. To be honest, the fact that they've won multiple games in March is more to the team's detriment.

Yes, they lost in the first round last year to the best team in the east in the regular season but they did give them a good series. The only reason they weren’t higher than 8 was bc of Wall’s knee injury. If he hadn’t had that the Wizards probably would’ve been 5th or 6th in the conference.

I just wanted to say once again that with a healthy Wall, the Wizards are better than they are without a healthy Wall and they are especially better w/ Wall than w/o.

On 3/28/2019 at 8:49 PM, Skinsin2013 said:

You guys remind me of RG jockers. A fanbase that goes all in and can't climb out.

It's been dis-proven that Wall provides better looks for shooters. Wall pounds the ball til the air deflates and the offense becomes stagnant. Players become easier to defend.

You think he's gonna come back from these two injures, at age 30, with new life? Forget about it.

Is your point that Wall was never good — and never created better looks for shooters — or just that his injuries have now depleted him to the point that he’s no longer the excellent player he once was?

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Is your point that Wall was never good — and never created better looks for shooters — or just that his injuries have now depleted him to the point that he’s no longer the excellent player he once was?

Pretty sure it’s the former. It’s been nearly 100 pages of him and Mknight saying that Wall is basically the main problem with the Wizards. They think Wall should’ve been traded instead of given the extension and that Porter should’ve stayed. Also, they think it was more Wall’s fault that Porter didn’t play better while in DC, not Porter himself bc somehow someway Wall didn’t give the ball to Porter enough.

I respect their opinions - everyone is entitled to their own - but it just doesn’t pass the smell test.

Wall is absolutely the main reason the Wizards have been relevant as a franchise this decade. When Beal was dealing with his shin stress fractures and missing about half the season, Wall still had the Wizards competing for the EC Finals.

I don’t know why anyone would believe Ted would agree to trade him, bringing it up just doesn’t make any sense to me bc there’s no way it’s going to happen. But then again, these are the same two that said 2 years ago the Caps should trade Ovi for prospects/draft picks and blow the team up!

How’d that work out? The next year - last year - Ovi led the Caps to the cup!  And this season he’s gone over 50 goals again.

Will Wall ever be the same? It’s unknown, but DeMarcus Cousins had the same injury just over a year ago and he looks like the same guy! So, perhaps modern medicine has gotten better at fixing achillies tears than it was a decade or two ago...

Another example is Junior Galette. He tore each of his achillies in successive years and looked just about the same in 2017 while being our situational pass rusher.

Edited by turtle28

On 3/29/2019 at 7:12 PM, turtle28 said:

Yes, they lost in the first round last year to the best team in the east in the regular season but they did give them a good series. The only reason they weren’t higher than 8 was bc of Wall’s knee injury. If he hadn’t had that the Wizards probably would’ve been 5th or 6th in the conference.

And likely would have lost to Sixers or the Cavaliers then. Even if you say they get by the first round, there's no chance they get past Boston or Toronto (the same team that was the best team in the East that beat them last year).

Again, stuck at a second round playoff exit.

On 3/29/2019 at 7:12 PM, turtle28 said:

I just wanted to say once again that with a healthy Wall, the Wizards are better than they are without a healthy Wall and they are especially better w/ Wall than w/o.

Except it doesn't look like they will have a 100% healthy Wall for the 2019-2020 season (and there's a decent chance they don't have Wall at all next season). Even if he comes back, he's going to be rusty and on the wrong side of 30.

So, while they might be better with the pre-injury John Wall, it's an open question if they'll ever get back to that point.

Troy Brown ended up with 24 points on the night. Very impressive. I was disappointed with the pick at the time, but I loved his all-court game and intelligence in the Summer League. Most importantly, he’s 8/11 on 3-pointers in the last two games. That’s going to be critical for him to continue earning more burn as time goes on. 

If he could emerge as a future starter at the SF spot, that would be huge. Added to Beal and the revelation that has been Thomas Bryant, that could be the start of something. If only they could get lucky, for once, and land the Zion pick. He would be such a perfect fit for the group they have.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Woz said:

And likely would have lost to Sixers or the Cavaliers then. Even if you say they get by the first round, there's no chance they get past Boston or Toronto (the same team that was the best team in the East that beat them last year).

Again, stuck at a second round playoff exit.

Except it doesn't look like they will have a 100% healthy Wall for the 2019-2020 season (and there's a decent chance they don't have Wall at all next season). Even if he comes back, he's going to be rusty and on the wrong side of 30.

So, while they might be better with the pre-injury John Wall, it's an open question if they'll ever get back to that point.

I don’t know why you continue to bring up “yeah but they would have lost in the next round.” We’ve discussed this for 3 or 4 years. I like the Wizards being good, I enjoy them winning 40 plus games a year and usually winning a playoff series when both Wall and Beal are healthy.

If the Redskins made the playoffs almost every year the last decade we’d all be thrilled, even if they hadn’t won a Super Bowl. Yes, we’d be extremely disappointed if they were making the playoffs w/o winning a super bowl, but I’d still rather be the KC Chiefs of this decade than what the Redskins have been.

For a fanbase that was one of the worst run for most of the 80s, 90s & early 2000s to finally have a team that competes for an usually makes the playoffs, that means something to life long fans.

I’m going to ride this Wall/Beal era out as long as it lasts, even if they never do get to the Eastern Conference Finals.

Edited by turtle28

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

Troy Brown ended up with 24 points on the night. Very impressive. I was disappointed with the pick at the time, but I loved his all-court game and intelligence in the Summer League. Most importantly, he’s 8/11 on 3-pointers in the last two games. That’s going to be critical for him to continue earning more burn as time goes on. 

If he could emerge as a future starter at the SF spot, that would be huge. Added to Beal and the revelation that has been Thomas Bryant, that could be the start of something. If only they could get lucky, for once, and land the Zion pick. He would be such a perfect fit for the group they have.

I liked the Brown pick, but did want Robert Williams more bc I felt we needed size but then we got Thomas Bryant who’s been a revaluation as you said.

Brown has worked hard on his outside shot, he had everything else you’d want when he was drafted and his outside shot has gotten good. I do see him as the starting SF next year. This is awesome and why most Wizards fans wanted to see Brown get more playing time during the season and right away when Porter was traded; not weeks later.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If the Redskins made the playoffs almost every year the last decade we’d all be thrilled, even if they hadn’t won a Super Bowl. Yes, we’d be extremely disappointed if they were making the playoffs w/o winning a super bowl, but I’d still rather be the KC Chiefs of this decade than what the Redskins have been.

The equivalent would be Washington qualifying as a wild card and then losing in the first round or maybe divisional round. Yes they made the playoffs, but beyond a fluke game, it was meaningless.

So, no, I would not be all that thrilled.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

For a fanbase that was one of the worst run for most of the 80s, 90s & early 2000s to finally have a team that competes for an usually makes the playoffs, that means something to life long fans.

I’m going to ride this Wall/Beal era out as long as it lasts, even if they never do get to the Eastern Conference Finals.

Okay, as long as you understand and accept where you are, and that others may be less patient with the team.