Jump to content
turtle28

Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Anyone else remember when this almost happened? I do.

My gf at the time was an OKC fan and I told her about it and she was pissed! Haha 😂 

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, e16bball said:

For me, Onyeka Okongwu probably is the best realistic option at 9. Teams are hesitating to spend high picks on bigs, but in a draft like this, I think you need to walk away with a safe pick, instead of rolling the dice on the giant question marks at the more premium positions. This is a guy (Gruden voice) who will always have defensive value thanks to his good athleticism and great effort level, plus he’s going to be an effective finisher near the basket. If he doesn’t grow into more than that, it’s okay, he’s a solid 10-year starter in the league. 

I’m intrigued by Isaac Okoro, in that when you’re looking at guys who have made major strides in an area after making the jump to the pros, it tends to be improved shooting. He’s already a very good athlete, excellent defender, good passer, etc. A bit like Troy Brown, he gives you a lot  — and if the shot happens to click, Okoro’s defense is good enough that he could easily be a Porter type player. 

A guy I definitely like as a player is Tyrese Halliburton, who I think has a little bit of (older) Mike Conley in his game as a smart player who will give you good passing/decision making and shooting. I’m really hesitant to invest big in a guard because, to me, the only way this team is going to be competitive is if Wall comes back and the duo with Beal becomes the catalyst for a return to the top of the conference. To me, we can’t ignore BPA, but damn it would be nice if BPA was a big or a wing. 

Definitely along my line of thinking as well. I'd love to get a reserve big or a wing like those you mentioned that can contribute right away.

Since you brought up Troy Brown, how do you see him?

I like the improvements he made last year, I still want him to become a better 3 point shooter. 

I see him as more of a point forward or a big combo guard rather than a great 3-point shooting wing, is that how you see him fitting in?

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2020 at 4:07 PM, turtle28 said:

Since you brought up Troy Brown, how do you see him?

I like the improvements he made last year, I still want him to become a better 3 point shooter. 

I see him as more of a point forward or a big combo guard rather than a great 3-point shooting wing, is that how you see him fitting in?

I feel pretty good about where he is. 

The 3 ball has come a long way already, that kind of progress from such a young kid in such a short period of time is very promising. That was always my biggest knock on the pick, and in another season or two, it may even be a strength.

He’s better as a rebounder and energy guy than I expected, though he’s not quite as clever a passer or driver as I hoped based on the scouting report coming out of college. Hard to evaluate anyone’s defense on this god awful defensive roster, but I haven’t seen much reason to think he’s going to be either great or terrible on that end. 

Unless the jump shot really takes a big step forward, I think I see him more as a 6th man type. Glue guy, good all-around team player. I just don’t think he’s likely to give you enough on either end to lock down a starting spot on a good team. Rooting for him though, seems like a good kid and he’s made a lot of progress so far!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2020 at 9:36 PM, e16bball said:

I feel pretty good about where he is. 

The 3 ball has come a long way already, that kind of progress from such a young kid in such a short period of time is very promising. That was always my biggest knock on the pick, and in another season or two, it may even be a strength.

He’s better as a rebounder and energy guy than I expected, though he’s not quite as clever a passer or driver as I hoped based on the scouting report coming out of college. Hard to evaluate anyone’s defense on this god awful defensive roster, but I haven’t seen much reason to think he’s going to be either great or terrible on that end. 

Unless the jump shot really takes a big step forward, I think I see him more as a 6th man type. Glue guy, good all-around team player. I just don’t think he’s likely to give you enough on either end to lock down a starting spot on a good team. Rooting for him though, seems like a good kid and he’s made a lot of progress so far!

That's all fair. I was never a fan of the pick - I was zoned in on Bridges (but he went early) and Porter, and was salty he went the pick before us. I was also a Zhaire fan, but he hasn't done anything. The whole draft from Troy on has been kind of disappointing, so we can't hate it in hindsight. That said, I don't think he's ever much more than a bench role player. Peak of 6th man like you said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

That's all fair. I was never a fan of the pick - I was zoned in on Bridges (but he went early) and Porter, and was salty he went the pick before us. I was also a Zhaire fan, but he hasn't done anything. The whole draft from Troy on has been kind of disappointing, so we can't hate it in hindsight. That said, I don't think he's ever much more than a bench role player. Peak of 6th man like you said.

I wanted Robert Williams in the 2018 draft, we needed a big bc we were moving on from Gortat and I didn’t trust Mahinmi to be a good starter. I’m still not happy Ernie passed on a good defensive big and a great rebounder bc that’s what this team needs on the front line. Wall/Beal are going to dominate the offense, but we are still not as strong as we should be downlow. I like Thomas Bryant a lot - actually love him on O - but he is not a strong defender and he’s only an avg rebounder. The same can be said for Hachimura but, he’s young so hopefully he can get stronger and become better in those areas.

 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I think the NHL and NBA should do their regular playoff format with the teams already placed, and that's it.  If we wait too much longer and expand things, the start of the next seasons will be delayed because of such a late start.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Honestly, I think the NHL and NBA should do their regular playoff format with the teams already placed, and that's it.  If we wait too much longer and expand things, the start of the next seasons will be delayed because of such a late start.  

This. Especially for the NBA. I just looked at the standings, and there's pretty much at least a few games gaps in between everything, especially from 8-9 seed in both conferences.

Just start the playoffs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Honestly, I think the NHL and NBA should do their regular playoff format with the teams already placed, and that's it.  If we wait too much longer and expand things, the start of the next seasons will be delayed because of such a late start.  

They need a couple of ways to come up with some extra scratch to make. I'm okay with an expanded playoff format. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think both NBA and NHL should both have the top 10 teams in each division go straight into playoffs with the top 2 seeds in each division getting a bye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...