Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

On 3/13/2023 at 8:46 PM, e16bball said:

Well, now we’re down to 14 games left in the season. 83% of the season played, and they’re significantly higher in the lottery (T-6th) than they are in the East standings (T-11th). 

That seems like as good a sign as any to shut the thing down. With enough futility, they should be able to lock down the 5th or 6th best lottery odds. Which means a very reasonable chance at landing Wemby or Scoot. The kid from Alabama is also very impressive — his penchant for assisting shooters could prove helpful here. 

There just isn’t anything left to be gained here. They’re an okay team when they’re all healthy. That’s cool and all, but what they also are is totally irrelevant. They need to get lucky in the draft somehow to have any chance to transcend this current level of mediocrity, and that just doesn’t seem like it’s in the cards from the late lottery.

I’m all about this approach. If we can get any of those guys around the 5th pick I’m down for it. 

Edited by turtle28

On 3/18/2023 at 9:00 AM, Skinsin2013 said:

Ted's grand plan was retool the roster at the trade deadline and then extend Kuzma and KP. I just don't see that happening at this point. One of those two is bolting. We'll probably miss the lottery by a game. What a disaster. But you could see that coming. Ted hands out supermaxes to semi-stars. Just a complete clown of an owner.

Probably Kuz. Kuz has had one foot out the door since we traded for him. They should’ve traded Kuz at the trade deadline but they thought they were going to go some run but it isn’t happening.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Probably Kuz. Kuz has had one foot out the door sign we traded for him. They should’ve traded Kuz at the trade deadline but they thought they were going to go some run but it isn’t happening.

It’s the wizards. Both will walk and they’ll be stuck with that monster Beal contract 

• Like 2

On 3/18/2023 at 3:57 PM, lavar703 said:

It’s the wizards. Both will walk and they’ll be stuck with that monster Beal contract 

Yes, but just imagine the kind of player they’ll be able to add with that 10th pick they’re going to end up with, and I think you’ll see that the sky is the limit…

19 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If we’re lucky, another Johnny Davis 

Yes, but don’t forget Rui, Deni, and Kispert that we also plucked out of the late lottery.

With all those guys on board, you’d really only be three superstars away from a championship contender.

• Like 1

So, what if Beal finally asks for a trade this summer? I don’t really expect him to, but let’s say he asks for a trade to the Celtics to team up with Tatum & Brown.

Here’s what the Wizards could get back in return I think & stats if they’re starting:

• PG: Malcom Brogdon - 15pts, 4rebs, 4asts

• SG: Derek White: 18pts, 6 asts, 5 rebs

• SF/PF: Grant Williams - 12 pts, 6 rebs 

• 2 First Round picks 

What do you all think?

The Wizards hold the 6th spot in the draft right now which puts them in position to draft one of the following 3 players. Or at least this is the 3 I’d like to see them draft. There is also Nick Smith who is intriguing but he had a knee injury and really didn’t do much the 2nd half of the year so, I’m not sure I’m sold & rumors are he’s thinking of going back to Arkansas to improve his draft stock. He is being compared to Gilbert Arenas.

1. Jarace Walker, PF, Houston: He will likely be the 3rd big off the board after Wembayama & Brandon Miller if you want to consider Miller a big at 6’9, 200-210 lbs who is more point forward/SF/stretch 4 than a traditional big.

Walker’s per-40 rebounding is 10 rebounds a game. He’s a solid 3-point shooter as a PF at 35% & has room to expand his game even more as a shooter and playmaker. He is a good defender and has an NBA ready body (6’8, 240) to match up against current NBA stars at PF even at 19 years old. He shows some playmaking with the ball in his hands, but that’s obviously an area where he needs to improve at. He reminds me Julius Randle and he’d be a great pick for the Wizards at #6.

2. Anthony Black, PG, Arkansas: At 6’7, 200 pounds Black is one of the most versatile players in the draft with huge upside. He is the new school type of PG with the handles of the little guys & the length of an NBA forward. He impacts both ends of the floor as a playmaker on offense who is a natural passer and with his length on defense causes problems for any PG he is guarding. He gets by defenders with ease and is a great finisher at the rim. Black also is a great rebounder for a guard.

Black is getting comparisons to Josh Giddey & Dyson Daniels which are great comps. One area where Black does need to improve is his 3-point shooting, he’s just a 30% 3-point shooter. Hopefully if we draft him he can get that # up to around 35% or better but, he certainly has more strengths than weaknesses and has a lot of upside.

3. Cam Whitmore, SF/PF, Villanova: At 6’7, 230 pounds Whitmore has the ability to be a traditional 3 or be a stretch 4. 

A thumb injury sidelined Whitmore for the first half of his collegiate season, but since he returned it looked like he didn’t miss a beat. He averaged 12.5 pts & 5 rebs this year and obviously at 230 pounds he has an NBA body already to match up against opposing NBA players as a defender.

Whitmore was a 34% shooter from three so that’s not an issue but is an area he’ll want to improve upon and get more consistent at in the NBA. One area of concern is it doesn’t seem like he’s that much as a playmaker as he only averaged .7 assists. This is kind of a red flag where he could be a Rui type player who can get his own shots in a variety of ways & put up points but doesn’t have the ability to create shots for others or initiate offense.

Whitmore is a good defender though so, he would have that over Rui, bc I believe if Rui was a better defender thag he would’ve started at PF w/ Kuz at SF this year but, for some reason Rui just is not picking up defensive concepts in the NBA and it’s kept him from being a starter not only in DC but in LA as well.

Whitmore made headlines when taking home MVP honors for Team USA at the Americas Championship before Villanova. He's on many scouts' radars because of it.

Players to consider taking in round 2 with our two 2nd rnd picks:

Colby Jones, SG/SF, Connecticut 

Terquavion Smith, PG/SG, NC St

Marcus Sasser, PG, Houston 

Jaime Jaquez, SG/SF, UCLA

Trayce Jackson-Davis, PF, Indiana

Noah Clownley, PF, Alabama

Jalen Wilson, SG/SF, Kansas 

Ricky Council IV, SF/PF, Arkansas 

Julian Strather, SG/SF, Gonzaga

Julian Phillips, SF, Tennessee 

DaRon Holmes, PF, Dayton

Jaylen Clark, SG, UCLA 

Terrence Shannon, SG, Illinois 

Reece Beekman, PG, Virginia

Keyontae Johnson, SF, Kansas St.

Andre Jackson, SG, UConn

Dillon Mitchell, SF, Texas

Emion Bates, SF, Western Michigan

Marquis Norwell, PG, Kansas St

Trey Alexander, PG/SG, Creighton

Brandin Podziemski, SG, Santa Clara

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Kispert, Deni & Wright all over 20 pts, and Goodwin w/ 17 pts! A combined 13/25 (52%) from 3! Now that's what I like to see! 

We need Kispert or Deni to take that SF spot & run with it next year & we need Goodwin & Wright to be solid back up guards for us.

I doubt it happens, but we need it to happen if we have any hopes of making the playoffs next year.

Sweet athletic up and under drive/layup by Johnny Davis; he is finally getting it! I think there’s a chance he can develop enough to be our 6th or 7th man next year. I hope he tears it up in the Summer League this summer. He’s really grown up this year in the GLeague playing for the CapitalCityGoGo.

My 2023 Wizards Draft

#8 - Avery Black, PG, AR.

#38 - Trace Jackson-Davis, PF, IN.

#59 - Adem Bona, C, UCLA.

Black would have a chance to start in the 1st game. TJD & Bona are end of the bench/GoGo type players developing yr 1. TJD needs to develop a 3-pt shot like Rui did it will take a year or 2 I think. Maybe he becomes the an 8-10 rotation player as a rookie, it’s possible I guess.

2023 Wizards Roster

PG: Black, Morris, Goodwin

SG: Beal, Johnny Davis, Delon Wright

SF: Kuzma, Kispert, Xaiver Cooks

PF: KP, Deni, TJD

C : Gafford, Jay Huff, Adem Bona