Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

On 2/12/2023 at 3:24 PM, lavar703 said:

Are there really any Wall stans left? Dudes been gone for like 4 years now. 

There’s not. You and I both are just reacting to Skinsin2013’s obsession in seeing Wall fail dating all the way back to when Wall nearly led us to the Eastern Conference Finals in 2017 which this franchise hasn’t seen since 1979, the year I was born.

It’s his obsession in hating everything Wall as to why he’s even discussed in this thread.

On 2/14/2023 at 8:17 AM, Skinsin2013 said:

I mean, there is an active Wall stan in this thread. And even more active Wall stans in the Twitterverse. And, of course, the pole dancers took a big hit when Wall was booted out of DC.

If a Wall stan is defending what he did for this franchise from 2010-2017 then yeah, I’m guilty. His era was the second best era in Bullets/Wizards history. Everyone knows he’s washed now & is just a back up level player. 

I still wouldn’t have traded him for Westbrook. As I’ve said before, Wall missing  half the season 2020 for the Rockets could’ve been us which could’ve led us to having a top 5 pick instead of drafting in the teens bc Beal/Westbrook got us a first round exit in the playoffs vs the Sixers.

Sometimes you have to see the Forrest for the trees 🌲 & it’s something Ted & Tommy fail to do just like Ernie before him. They don’t know how to build a team long term, they just patch work end of the lottery picks & average at best vets around a few star players & hope it gets them in the play-in game. 

They really could’ve gotten some great young talent to run with Beal in the 2021 draft but here we are treading water bc we went for the 1st round loss in the playoffs.

vanessa sunshine GIF by The Bachelor Australia

Edited by turtle28

Coming into Thursday night’s 119-108 win over the Toronto Raptors at Capital One Arena, Wizards shooting guard Corey Kispert entered play with 98 3-pointers made on the season.

Considering Kispert averages 4.5 attempts from beyond the arc a game and has been knocking them down at a 42.3% clip, his chances of making at least two in that matchup looked pretty good.

Entering the 4th quarter, Kispert needed to knock down just one more three-pointer to reach 100 on the season and become the first Wizards’ draft pick in franchise history to reach that mark in each of his first two seasons. With the Wizards starting to pull away against the Raptors on Thursday, Kyle Kuzma drove baseline and found Kispert open in the corner, ready to do what he does best. Not even Bradley Beal hit 100 in his first two NBA seasons. 

“The key is to not get too high or too slow,” Kispert said on his work ethic. “No matter if you have a good game or a bad game you got to keep doing what you’re learning, staying in the process and the ball kind of almost shoots itself you know at that point. You put in a bunch of work and you have to trust your work.”   

At the beginning of the season Kispert missed the first eight games with a sprained left ankle he sustained during one of the Wizards preseason games. Since then, Kispert has been able to stay healthy, playing in 46 straight games. He accredits his teammates as a major reason for why he was able to stay locked in, despite the time he missed to start off the season.

“Basketball is what I love to do and not playing sucks,” Kispert said. “I’m just really thankful that I’m back out there again and have played a bunch of games in a row. The guys in the locker room kind of helped me stay involved and I was out there as much as I could. Being involved on the bench and being an active participant as a teammate is kind of ways you can stay involved.”

Kispert has proven through his first two seasons in the NBA just why the Wizards would not regret taking him with their first-round pick. In his rookie year Kispert passed Beal for most 3-pointers made (112) and has continued to find his stride into his sophomore season. This season, primarily coming off the bench, Kispert has been averaging 9.4 points, 2.8 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 27.0 minutes of action per game. 

Over the weekend Kispert tallied four more 3-pointers in the back-to-back game against the Raptors and then three more against the Milwaukee Bucks. This pushes Kispert's season total to 107 3-pointers made and should have no problem surpassing his total of 112 during his rookie season.

Well, now we’re down to 14 games left in the season. 83% of the season played, and they’re significantly higher in the lottery (T-6th) than they are in the East standings (T-11th). 

That seems like as good a sign as any to shut the thing down. With enough futility, they should be able to lock down the 5th or 6th best lottery odds. Which means a very reasonable chance at landing Wemby or Scoot. The kid from Alabama is also very impressive — his penchant for assisting shooters could prove helpful here. 

There just isn’t anything left to be gained here. They’re an okay team when they’re all healthy. That’s cool and all, but what they also are is totally irrelevant. They need to get lucky in the draft somehow to have any chance to transcend this current level of mediocrity, and that just doesn’t seem like it’s in the cards from the late lottery.

• Like 3

Ted's grand plan was retool the roster at the trade deadline and then extend Kuzma and KP. I just don't see that happening at this point. One of those two is bolting. We'll probably miss the lottery by a game. What a disaster. But you could see that coming. Ted hands out supermaxes to semi-stars. Just a complete clown of an owner.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Ted's grand plan was retool the roster at the trade deadline and then extend Kuzma and KP. I just don't see that happening at this point. One of those two is bolting. We'll probably miss the lottery by a game. What a disaster. But you could see that coming. Ted hands out supermaxes to semi-stars. Just a complete clown of an owner.

Not trading Beal was a giant mistake that we all saw coming. He should be in Golden State right now. 

• Like 2