Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

But there's no consensus is my point. So why trade up? Also why trade up in one of the worst draft classes ever? 

You trade up to get the guy you think is definitely the best in the class - I do think that’s Sarr - if they don’t think Sarr is a better prospect than Risacher, then I agree with you. You’re probably right and they feel how you do.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/page/NBADraft24-40343667/2024-nba-mock-draft-all-58-picks-trade-talks-heat-30-teams 

1. Atlanta Hawks

Zaccharie Risacher, SF, Bourg (France) | Age: 19.1

The Hawks casted a wide net through the pre-draft process, aggressively recruiting nearly every prospect in the lottery for workouts while also bringing in players projected outside that range, indicating the team is preparing for different strategies depending on what it learns and potential trade opportunities.

While it appears the Hawks are far from making final decisions, many teams say their intel indicates Risacher remains the favorite at No. 1, partially because of the dual-track flexibility he offers of either remaining competitive next season or tapping into his upside as the type of big, versatile wing that is difficult to acquire outside the draft. The Hawks will bring Risacher in for a workout Wednesday, his first with the team thus far, which should help add clarity regarding his standing.

The Hawks have been unable to bring Alex Sarr in for a workout to this point, but the door remains open for that to potentially happen. Clingan appears to be Risacher's main rival at No. 1. His workout -- where he shot the ball extremely well, showed surprisingly good passing ability operating out of short rolls and was impressive both in film study and in interviews -- helped his draft standing and makes him as possible sleeper selection here, as we've discussed for several weeks.

The status of Atlanta's Trae Young is the big question hovering over the franchise. One option that has been widely discussed among teams is the possibility of the Hawks reacquiring their unprotected 2025 first-round pick from San Antonio (perhaps in a swap for the No. 4 pick), which would give the team far more flexibility for rebuilding. That would currently be difficult to fathom, with their next three draft picks (2025, 2026 swap rights and 2027) owned by the Spurs.

The Hawks worked out Reed Sheppard last week and Clingan before that, two attractive options at No. 4 should they elect to slide back. Atlanta also brought in Matas Buzelis, Cody Williams and Ron Holland for workouts. -- Givony

2. Washington Wizards

Alex Sarr, PF/C, Perth (Australia) | Age: 19.1

Rival teams have largely viewed the Wizards as a landing spot for Risacher or Sarr, depending which direction the Hawks go. That line of thinking has held up so far, although the radio silence out of Washington has some teams still curious about its intentions at No. 2.

That said, Sarr has not yet gone to Atlanta and did work out for Washington last week. The Wizards did quite a bit of homework (and travel) to evaluate him during the course of his season with Perth. Stephon Castle, Clingan, Buzelis and Williams are among the other top prospects that have worked out for the Wizards. Some of those players feel more like contingencies, whether it's via trade, or if Sarr goes No. 1, but the Wizards have done their due diligence.

Washington has the runway available to be patient with Sarr's development, making it a strong fit for him -- and vice versa -- on paper. Sarr arguably has the greatest upside available here, with the physical attributes to be a top defender, as well as the makings of a useful offensive skill set as a finisher and improving floor-spacer. -- Woo

• Like 2

Read that ESPN article this morning as well. 

Interesting, though not totally surprising, that Sarr doesn’t seem to want Atlanta. A team that’s probably looking to get back into the playoffs, with two pure centers already under contract for significant money next season, is probably not an ideal fit for a young, raw kid trying to develop as an NBA player.

We do very much seem to present the best opportunity for him. I’d be less disappointed with him than most, although it’s still pretty brutal to sit through a 15-win season and only come away with a big with limited offensive game. But that’s where we are in this draft: “make the best of it” status.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

Read that ESPN article this morning as well. 

Interesting, though not totally surprising, that Sarr doesn’t seem to want Atlanta. A team that’s probably looking to get back into the playoffs, with two pure centers already under contract for significant money next season, is probably not an ideal fit for a young, raw kid trying to develop as an NBA player.

We do very much seem to present the best opportunity for him. I’d be less disappointed with him than most, although it’s still pretty brutal to sit through a 15-win season and only come away with a big with limited offensive game. But that’s where we are in this draft: “make the best of it” status.

I think ending up with Sarr would be pretty unbelievable. He’s good. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/19/2024 at 5:49 PM, lavar703 said:

I think ending up with Sarr would be pretty unbelievable. He’s good. 

Yep, he's good and has a very high ceiling. I can see Sarr & Vukcevic being our future starting bigs in 2 years.

Edited by turtle28

15 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Looks like Sarr to the Wizards at 2 is a lock. 

It seems that way but just like the NFL has a lying season a month to weeks/days before the draft, so does the NBA & every sport. I sure hope we get Sarr, it would be nice to get a replacement for what Porzingiz was for us.

Of course the Wizards would get this pick, in this draft………but I do have faith in this brain trust with what they’ve done before in previous locations.  It’s just going to be a lot of work to get this team to where it should be.  Middling in mediocrity takes a long time to reverse.  As an Orioles fan, I definitely know this, and we should all know it as Redskins/Commanders fans.  

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Of course the Wizards would get this pick, in this draft………but I do have faith in this brain trust with what they’ve done before in previous locations.  It’s just going to be a lot of work to get this team to where it should be.  Middling in mediocrity takes a long time to reverse.  As an Orioles fan, I definitely know this, and we should all know it as Redskins/Commanders fans.  

I think the negativity behind this draft is a little overblown even if some of it is warranted. I just think a lot of talent in this draft is super raw and unknown, so your lottery ball just has lower odds. But I would think a couple of guys come out of this looking good. We'll see. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I don’t hate having a top pick ever. We’re still going to get a talented piece to develop and as @MikeT14 said, I too think the negativity around this draft is overblown. It’s true there aren’t any for sure All-Stars in year 1 or college studs that just dominated in this draft but that doesn’t mean that these players won’t develop into good to great players. At this point they are just raw, talented young players that need more development.

That’s similar to Couli who we took last year and looks like he’s going to develop into at worst a good wing for us and an elite defender.

I expect us to be picking in the top 5 again next year and the draft is more stacked. 

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I think the negativity behind this draft is a little overblown even if some of it is warranted. I just think a lot of talent in this draft is super raw and unknown, so your lottery ball just has lower odds. But I would think a couple of guys come out of this looking good. We'll see. 

I'm like wayyy on the other end of the spectrum. This draft class sucks. They seem all in on Sarr and I just don't see him becoming anything in the NBA. People comp him to Evan Mobley but Mobley did way more at USC than Sarr has ever shown. He's in a big's body but plays soft and wants to play on the perimeter. I actually think he compares to someone like Marvin Bagley who the Wizards already have on the roster, and he's a high lottery bust on his 3rd team that hasn't amounted to much. 

If I were the Wizards I would take Clingan or Sheppard. Clingan gives you winning pedigree and a defensive anchor. He isn't the athlete that Sarr is but he's much smarter about where he needs to be on the court. He's also a hell of a lot tougher than Sarr. Sheppard would give them a lights out shooting PG to run the offense. Either would be a way better pick than Sarr IMO. 

Something else the Wizards should focus on tonight is getting younger/worse for next year. Next year's class is much better than this one, and if they could unload Kuzma tonight for anything they should do it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I'm like wayyy on the other end of the spectrum. This draft class sucks. They seem all in on Sarr and I just don't see him becoming anything in the NBA. People comp him to Evan Mobley but Mobley did way more at USC than Sarr has ever shown. He's in a big's body but plays soft and wants to play on the perimeter. I actually think he compares to someone like Marvin Bagley who the Wizards already have on the roster, and he's a high lottery bust on his 3rd team that hasn't amounted to much. 

If I were the Wizards I would take Clingan or Sheppard. Clingan gives you winning pedigree and a defensive anchor. He isn't the athlete that Sarr is but he's much smarter about where he needs to be on the court. He's also a hell of a lot tougher than Sarr. Sheppard would give them a lights out shooting PG to run the offense. Either would be a way better pick than Sarr IMO. 

Something else the Wizards should focus on tonight is getting younger/worse for next year. Next year's class is much better than this one, and if they could unload Kuzma tonight for anything they should do it. 

The good news is … with Kuzma or not, this is a bottom 4ish team anyway!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I’m with you but we all know that is now how the NBA operates with its scouting/drafts. They draft based off of potential, not based off of what a player will do immediately.

Perfect example is the Wiz taking Couli last year over Jarace Walker & trading 2nd round picks to ensure they got Couli. I wanted Jarace Walker.

I agree with your points about Clingan and Shepherd. I think NBA GMs/Scouts etc think Sarr can develop into a Gianis type big with a better jump shot. I think that’s highly unlikely but anything is possible.

Clingan to me can be like Porzingiz. Clingan already has the championship pedigree. He’s a defensive anchor, a tough rebounder and while he doesn’t shoot a lot of 3s, Clingan has a good stroke. I could see Clingan develop into a Porzingiz type 3-pt shooter a few years from now with more work put into his shooting.

36 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

https://x.com/draftingdude/status/1806026524447175008?s=12&t=6HL-uBrK4qbGh3V530lFEg

Some came with a Kuz trade idea:

• Sacramento gets Kuz

• Thunder get Harrison Barnes

Wizards get Donovan Mitchell, PG, Sac

Sacramento’s 1st round pick

Thunder’s 1st round pick

This was throwing me off way longer than it should have lol.