Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

How are the Wizards worse by adding a back up combo guard and moving Gortat’s bad contract?

We saved a whopping $900K by my math. Am I wrong (could be)? At least with Gortat, we had multiple centers. Now we have Mahimni, Smith, and Morris? I hope another trade is in the works.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/6/26/17508100/austin-rivers-marcin-gortat-trade-clippers-wizards-dwight-howard-deandre-jordan-trade-free-agency

The Wizards, on the other hand, have needed help when John Wall or Bradley Beal goes to the bench, and Rivers could do just that. But what about the center slot? Washington needs an athletic big man to run and jump with Wall, Beal and Otto Porter, and Dwight Howard and the Brooklyn Nets are working on a buyout that will vault him into this year’s free agency pool.

The Wizards don’t have cap space to sign free agents, but Howard will be paid handsomely by Brooklyn this season, likely in the $15-20 million ball park of his $23.8 million salary. The Wizards can exceed the salary cap to sign him to the taxpayers mid-level exception that starts at around $5.5 million per year.

• Like 1

Can only hope that the Rivers-Gortat deal is a precursor to something else. Because it is just a god awful trade on its face. 

I think Gortat is the more valuable player in a vacuum. On a team that already had at least seven (7) useable perimeter players, with Rivers becoming their eighth, and now has only three (3) useable frontcourt players, it’s a ludicrous trade to make. 

But hey, we saved like $800k against the 2018-19 cap!

36 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/6/26/17508100/austin-rivers-marcin-gortat-trade-clippers-wizards-dwight-howard-deandre-jordan-trade-free-agency

The Wizards, on the other hand, have needed help when John Wall or Bradley Beal goes to the bench, and Rivers could do just that. But what about the center slot? Washington needs an athletic big man to run and jump with Wall, Beal and Otto Porter, and Dwight Howard and the Brooklyn Nets are working on a buyout that will vault him into this year’s free agency pool.

The Wizards don’t have cap space to sign free agents, but Howard will be paid handsomely by Brooklyn this season, likely in the $15-20 million ball park of his $23.8 million salary. The Wizards can exceed the salary cap to sign him to the taxpayers mid-level exception that starts at around $5.5 million per year.

I don’t think Howard will accept a mid level exception.  He also won’t accept being the 4th offensive option on a team.  

• Like 2

The Wizards need a defensive Center that doesn’t need a lot of touches on offense, unless they plan to move one of Wall, Beal or Porter.  After seeing the draft, the most likely to be shopped would be Porter IMO.  You could start Oubre and have a full year to see if he’s worth extending.

Porter would likely be one of the most attractive trade options the Pelicans could find in a sign and trade deal for DeMarcus Cousins.  The problem is that feels like an overpay for a sign and trade guy whos coming off a torn Achilles.

If Lebron leaves Tristan Thompson could become available and would be an upgrade athletically and defensively.

Derek Favors could also be a solid sign and trade target. 

I’m assuming the Clippers are expecting DeAndre Jordan to leave now, but the Wizards can’t afford to sign him outright and if he were sign and trading you’d figure they would have just lumped all that in into the Gortat trade.

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Hahahaha what an awful trade.

Can you actually explain why?

Wizards haven’t had a reliable back up for Beal since they drafted him. 

Having two centers in today’s “small ball” stretch 4 & 5 era was an awful decision made by Ernie. They also weren’t athletic enough to guard a stretch 4 or 5 either which, arguably two playoff series in the last two seasons.  

They’ve solved one piece of the puzzle. Now, they have 3 options at center even if they don’t make another move.

1. They can start Mahinmi and get basically what they got out of Gortat except with better defense.

2. They can start Morris at center - or at least play him 10-20 minutes a game at center while having Oubre & Porter at forward.

3. Jason Smith isn’t the greatest player in the world, but he gives you 100% effort 100% of the time. Also, he’s a pretty good outside shooter. Last season he had a shoulder injury early in the year and then hurt his knee slipping on a wet spot plus, he didn’t get many minutes and that’s another reason why he struggled.

In 2016 Smith was a 53% field goal shooter and a 47% 3 pt shooter 

Edited by turtle28

41 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Can you actually explain why?

Wizards haven’t had a reliable back up for Beal since they drafted him. 

Having two centers in today’s “small ball” stretch 4 & 5 era was an awful decision made by Ernie. They also weren’t athletic enough to guard a stretch 4 or 5 either which, arguably two playoff series in the last two seasons.  

They’ve solved one piece of the puzzle. Now, they have 3 options at center even if they don’t make another move.

1. They can start Mahinmi and get basically what they got out of Gortat except with better defense.

2. They can start Morris at center - or at least play him 10-20 minutes a game at center while having Oubre & Porter at forward.

3. Jason Smith isn’t the greatest player in the world, but he gives you 100% effort 100% of the time. Also, he’s a pretty good outside shooter. Last season he had a shoulder injury early in the year and then hurt his knee slipping on a wet spot plus, he didn’t get many minutes and that’s another reason why he struggled.

In 2016 Smith was a 53% field goal shooter and a 47% 3 pt shooter 

Because Rivers is overpaid and not very good.

17 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Because Rivers is overpaid and not very good.

Ok, fine I honestly don’t know if that’s 100% true or not. A lot of players aren’t Very Good. 

I’d say that he offers more to us than Gortat - except pick and roll - Gortat and Wall were great at that.

It’s also hard to say who is overpaid in today’s NBA because truthfully they’re all overpaid but they got a heck of a TV deal and the union was able to parlay that into huge contracts for average to good players instead of just great players.

If Rivers can give us 8-10 ppg and him and Sato give Wall and Beal more rest during the regular season it will be worth it in the playoffs.

On who became most likely to be traded following the draft, I'd say that was Oubre. I'm not sure you need to see any more to know what you have in Oubre... an athletic SF with a very low basketball IQ and a strong motor. He's not a very good shooter... and he's not very good on defense (unless you're wowed by occasional big defensive play ala John Wall blocking shots from behind).

Rivers and Gortat were both changes in scenery. Both are overpaid and underperform. Rivers is younger and a million or so cheaper. So long as we find another center, I'm fine with the trade.