Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

6 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

On who became most likely to be traded following the draft, I'd say that was Oubre. I'm not sure you need to see any more to know what you have in Oubre... an athletic SF with a very low basketball IQ and a strong motor. He's not a very good shooter... and he's not very good on defense (unless you're wowed by occasional big defensive play ala John Wall blocking shots from behind).

Rivers and Gortat were both changes in scenery. Both are overpaid and underperform. Rivers is younger and a million or so cheaper. So long as we find another center, I'm fine with the trade.

I actually think with this move that Ernie has another move up his sleve. Rivers adds another piece to move who is younger and more attractive than Gortat.

I think now Ernie will try to sign Boogie Cousins by moving Rivers & Oubre to NO to make cap room for Cousins. Or, he could try to make the big trade for Kawhai while throwing in Rivers along with Otto & our 2019 1st round pick.

That gives the Spurs a starting back court of Rivers & Green with their a 6th man being Lonnie Walker (plays starters minutes). They’d have a starting front court including Porter and Aldridge. They’d have to sign a PF, my guess is someone like Derrick Favors or they could sign a C like Lopez and have Aldridge play 20 of his 30 minutes at PF instead of C.

I think Porter would thrive in San Antonio. He would be more a focal point of their offense - unlike in DC - where he’s the 3rd option by a wide margin. Popovich’s offense is more balanced than most - the Wizards are obviously guard heavy with Beal and Wall - the Spurs best player is their PF/C, Aldridge. Add an efficient shooting wing to go along with Danny Green and they’d have a nice team. It wouldn’t be a contending team, but it should be a playoff team every year.

Edited by turtle28

11 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Rick Carlisle couldn’t get anything out of him.  I wouldn’t want Noel being penciled in as the starting Center.  

Rick Carlisle is a great coach, but he’s a rough personality like Wittman was for us. Coaches like Carlisle & Wittman who are old school have trouble connecting to the young generation. 

If Noel gets starters minutes he’ll give you 10 to 12 pts, 10-12 rebs and 2 blocks a game. He’s a rim runner and a rim protector, that would fit well with Wall and what this team needs, especially on defense. Noel is arguably a better rebounder than Gortat, and for sure a better athlete and defender who can rim protect and guard stretch 5’s.

13 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

The Wizards need a defensive Center that doesn’t need a lot of touches on offense, unless they plan to move one of Wall, Beal or Porter.  After seeing the draft, the most likely to be shopped would be Porter IMO.  You could start Oubre and have a full year to see if he’s worth extending.

Porter would likely be one of the most attractive trade options the Pelicans could find in a sign and trade deal for DeMarcus Cousins.  The problem is that feels like an overpay for a sign and trade guy whos coming off a torn Achilles.

Only problem with that idea: Porter's 15% trade kicker

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2017/7/11/15947446/otto-porter-trade-kicker-washington-wizards-nba-free-agency

15 minutes ago, Woz said:

If you read the whole article it talks about how his trade kicker cannot exceed the max salary for a player.  The salary cap has barely gone up since he signed his deal, so Porter is near max for his tenure in the league.  The trade kicker would be substantially less than 15%.  Probably less than $1 Mil.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

I'd be intrigued by Noel. Wasn't the rumor though that he was super immature? Our lockerroom is already a cesspool, he has all the tools but not sure if we could get the most out of him.

Yes, but the rumor was that there was friction between him and Carlisle. Carlisle is a hard liner like Wittman was with us. Basically, do everything I say or you’re not playing. Remember back when Wittman was here and our rookies/young guys - outside of Wall & Beal - got little playing time because they’d make rookie mistakes and there was friction between them and Wittman?

Brooks is good with young players, so I don’t think that’d be an issue.

Edited by turtle28

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

#NoBoogie2DC

Boogie is this generations Rasheed Wallace, a guy that Wes Unseld shouldn’t have traded. Boogie may have a temper but he’s a heck of a player. I’d put up with some technical fouls if it means I’m getting a Big with a guards skill set.

How do you turn down 25 pts, 13 rebs & 5 assists?

I’d imagine the points would come down on our team to like 22 but still.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

By a whopping two games.

With Cousins: 27-21

W/O Cousins: 21-13

They played their best basketball of the season when they swept the higher seeded Trailblazers in the playoffs.  Anthony Davis’ best position in the NBA is at Center.  I think the Pelicans are better off using their cap at other positions than another Center.  IMO they’d be better off moving on from Cousins.

• Like 1

One interesting thing I’m wondering about here is that their additions so far have been a young do-it-all SF in the draft and another wing shooter (using the term “shooter” a little bit loosely). Their subtraction so far has been a C arguably the most prolific/effective screener in the league. 

They have a two-way SF who is a great shooter and who happens to excel off screens. 

They’ve overloaded on the perimeter and are dreadfully thin in the paint. If we’re looking at all the moves together so far, I think there’s at least a faint arrow pointing towards moving Porter for a big man. 

• Like 1