Off-Topic: The Washington Wizards Thread

turtle28

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Just as a point of reference: Wall is signed through the 2022-2023 season.

I don’t know why I need this “point of reference” or what it has to do with Sanon. My point is clearly that I hope Sanon develops more in europe in 2018 & 2019 and then can come over and be Wall’s back up in 2020.

Why does Wall’s contract in terms of my comment?

Just now, turtle28 said:

I don’t know why I need this “point of reference” or what it has to do with Sanon. My point is clearly that I hope Sanon develops more in europe in 2018 & 2019 and then can come over and be Wall’s back up in 2020.

Why does Wall’s contract in terms of my comment?

When you said "gets a few years of experience" that implies in my mind for at least three years, maybe four. That would put him at being on the roster with Wall only for a year or two.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Chances are none of us have seen him play beyond Youtube highlight reels.

I’ve seen him play. I usually try to catch the PAC12 late games and especially their tournament before they go to the NCAA tournament.

And that’s kind of besides the point anyways. Crapping on a player when you’ve never seen him play and calling him a scrub is disingenuous and lazy. 

Hating a player before he even plays for us just because you don’t like Ernie it ridiculous. Give the kid a chance.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Hating a player before he even plays for us just because you don’t like Ernie it ridiculous. Give the kid a chance.

At the same time, Ernie doesn't have the best track record so it's not completely unheard of.

Just now, Woz said:

At the same time, Ernie doesn't have the best track record so it's not completely unheard of.

I don’t care. Trash Ernie all you want, but trashing the player when you know very little or nothing about him is just a ridiculous position to take. I hope he makes all these stupid Wizards fans on twitter and everywhere else who’ve never seen him play eat crow! 

These reactions really piss me off sometimes or actually all the time.

Here is a Gortat trade idea I just thought about this morning:

1. Gortat  wants to return to Orlando.

2 What do people think about trading Gortat to Orlando for Terence Ross?

That would give the Wizards an established back up for Beal & free up some salary. Then, I’d re-sign Mike Scott & sign Mo Speights to start @ C.

Speights has been one of the best reserve bigs in the NBA since he was drafted, but has never gotten a chance to start. If he starts he’s probably a 10 to 12 pt guy and an 8 to 10 rebound a game guy. He’s also a tough player and a better defender than Gortat from what I’ve seen of him. He still wouldn’t be a rim protector, but Speights has developed into a decent 3 pt shooter.

Both Ross and Speights are 37% three point shooters so adding them would also add some more shooters on the floor.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That would give the Wizards an established back up for Beal & free up some salary. Then, I’d re-sign Mike Scott & sign Mo Speights to start @ C.

Speights has been one of the best reserve bigs in the NBA since he was drafted, but has never gotten a chance to start. If he starts he’s probably a 10 to 12 pt guy and an 8 to 10 rebound a game guy. He’s also a tough player and a better defender than Gortat from what I’ve seen of him. He still wouldn’t be a rim protector, but Speights has developed into a decent 3 pt shooter.

Both Ross and Speights are 37% three point shooters so adding them would also add some more shooters on the floor.

It's not a bad idea, turtle. I don't think I would do it, personally, but I wouldn't jump off the roof if they did it either.

My thing is, we now have Wall, Beal, Porter, Satoransky, Oubre, Brown, and Meeks all under contract for 2018-19. How much is another wing really going to play? And how much would he really move the needle even if he did play?

Gortat isn't the player he was a few years ago, but he's still a somewhat useful center. People always seem to scoff at this, but he's one of the best screeners in the game. And on a team whose offense revolves around the pick-and-roll and creating openings for shooters, that's a valuable skill. I'm perfectly willing to trade Gortat, if it means finding a way to get a more athletic, above-the-rim center who can elevate our defense in particular. But given that we've got absolutely nothing in the frontcourt, I wouldn't just give him away for a guy who would be in a tough competition to even find minutes on this roster.

Probably a moot point, because Orlando already had Nikola Vucevic and Bismack Biyombo, plus Aaron Gordon and Jonathan Isaac, and they just took Mo Bamba. So they're likely not particularly interested in adding another big to the roster. 

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The Magic have a ton of Centers on the roster already, I don't think they'd want Gortat.

Orlando is an interesting option though, because Biyombo has that bad contract. Especially on a team with so many bigs. Maybe we could make a deal where we take him off their hands? How about this:

Washington receives:

C Bismack Biyombo ($17.0M)

SG Terrence Ross ($10.5M)

PF Jonathan Isaac ($4.9M)

Orlando receives:

C Marcin Gortat ($13.6M)

SF Kelly Oubre ($3.2M)

PF Jason Smith ($5.5M)

SG Jodie Meeks ($3.5M)

Basically, they give up Jonathan Isaac in order to get substantial cap relief in future seasons. All of the contracts we're giving up are expiring. They'd clear $7M in cap space for this season and clear more than $22M for next offseason. Would give them tons of space if they wanted to extend Gordon and/or Vucevic and still pursue a max contract PG or wing in FA. Isaac has great talent, but he's somewhat redundant with Bamba now in the fold. And Oubre would actually be a nice little wing pairing with Fournier, he could take on the tougher defensive assignments to allow Fournier to stay focused on the offensive end.

For us, we'd immediately add an incredible amount of rim protection and interior defense. Biyombo and Isaac are both world-class shot blockers who would instantly transform our defense for the better. It would be an influx of much-needed athleticism and youth -- this is literally impossible to believe, but Bismack Biyombo is still only 25 years old -- and though our team would get more expensive and would miss Gortat's quiet contributions, I think we'd be a more competitive team overall after this deal. 

Verdict: I would do it, were I the Wizards. As for Orlando, I don't know how they feel about the 3 players involved. I could envision a scenario where they were desperate to shed Biyombo's contract, though, and that might get them across the finish line on this one.

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

Orlando is an interesting option though, because Biyombo has that bad contract. Especially on a team with so many bigs. Maybe we could make a deal where we take him off their hands? How about this:

Washington receives:

C Bismack Biyombo ($17.0M)

SG Terrence Ross ($10.5M)

PF Jonathan Isaac ($4.9M)

Orlando receives:

C Marcin Gortat ($13.6M)

SF Kelly Oubre ($3.2M)

PF Jason Smith ($5.5M)

SG Jodie Meeks ($3.5M)

Basically, they give up Jonathan Isaac in order to get substantial cap relief in future seasons. All of the contracts we're giving up are expiring. They'd clear $7M in cap space for this season and clear more than $22M for next offseason. Would give them tons of space if they wanted to extend Gordon and/or Vucevic and still pursue a max contract PG or wing in FA. Isaac has great talent, but he's somewhat redundant with Bamba now in the fold. And Oubre would actually be a nice little wing pairing with Fournier, he could take on the tougher defensive assignments to allow Fournier to stay focused on the offensive end.

For us, we'd immediately add an incredible amount of rim protection and interior defense. Biyombo and Isaac are both world-class shot blockers who would instantly transform our defense for the better. It would be an influx of much-needed athleticism and youth -- this is literally impossible to believe, but Bismack Biyombo is still only 25 years old -- and though our team would get more expensive and would miss Gortat's quiet contributions, I think we'd be a more competitive team overall after this deal. 

Verdict: I would do it, were I the Wizards. As for Orlando, I don't know how they feel about the 3 players involved. I could envision a scenario where they were desperate to shed Biyombo's contract, though, and that might get them across the finish line on this one.

I’d do it in a heartbeat! With Isaac, it’s give us a young PF to develop along with Brown at SG/SF. 

Isaac has a lot of potential and could replace Morris at PF in a few years when his deal is up.

The reason most fans want Gortat gone is he is soft. He’s not athletic and plays horrible defense. He doesn’t play good position defense, provides no rim protection and is not athletic enough to guard a stretch 5 on the perimeter. 

The worst thing is he especially can’t guard a stretch 5 and it’s a huge issue. It was a huge in our loss to the Celtics last year and to the Raptors this year. Those teams bigs were more athletic and able to hit open jumpers and the occasional 3. Gortat couldn’t guard them and it was a big reason we lost those series’.

We need a big who’s at least athletic enough to guard stretch 5’s and rebound. That’s basically all we need our center to do.

Edited by turtle28

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Brown isn’t a scrub. I bet you’ve never seen him play. I understand you hate Ernie but come on, Brown is a good basketball player.

Neither have you and that’s the whole point. He passed up way better players to reach for a guy who can’t shoot on a team that wants everybody to shoot. It’s absolutely ridiculous that this dumb *** is still running the team. And then he drafts a euro baller almost every time he doesn’t give all of our picks away and most of the time the guy contributes nothing. You and Kevin Sheehan are literally the only two people left defending Grunfeld.