Browns sign Jarvis Landry to 5 year extension

.Buzz

18 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

We used him that way because he lacks the skill-set to be used as a parameter vertical receiver. Which is fine - I loved Jarvis and his role was an important one. But that's pretty much who he is. And this price tag for that role is unheard of.

He'll be productive, no doubt. A real security blanket for whichever QB the Browns go with. But I can't see him being worth the contract.

A) I'm not sure what a parameter receiver is 

B) We already have "perimeter" receivers, his role would be the exact same role as with Dolphins, dominate the middle of the field.

C) He'll be productive but not be worth the contract? Obviously cant be both.

15 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

A) I'm not sure what a parameter receiver is 

B) We already have "perimeter" receivers, his role would be the exact same role as with Dolphins, dominate the middle of the field.

C) He'll be productive but not be worth the contract? Obviously cant be both.

Misspelling aside, it was obvious what I meant.

As for the bolded, there is such a thing as contributing production below the level of the contract given. For example the Ndamukong Suh deal recently terminated by the Fins. He was an elite player, but the level of production still didn't warrant the money he was making. Granted, the Browns have all the cap room in the world at the moment, but it doesn't change the fact that he is being grossly overpaid for his skill set, and for what his production likely will be.

Let's just say that if your point B is spot on, he's being paid about double what that's worth.

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Misspelling aside, it was obvious what I meant.

As for the bolded, there is such a thing as contributing production below the level of the contract given. For example the Ndamukong Suh deal recently terminated by the Fins. He was an elite player, but the level of production still didn't warrant the money he was making. Granted, the Browns have all the cap room in the world at the moment, but it doesn't change the fact that he is being grossly overpaid for his skill set, and for what his production likely will be.

And I take it you "know" what the production will likely be?

Just now, MSURacerDT55 said:

And I take it you "know" what the production will likely be?

When did I say that?

No one knows the future, but the whole reason this forum exists is to speculate on what we believe to be the likeliest scenarios. This forum is called footballsfuture, after all. If you'd rather discuss only what you know, maybe you could start footballspast.com.

11 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

and for what his production likely will be.

Point being, if his production is similar to what he did in Miami, it "will" be worth the contract because this is what the Browns paid for. Not to mention he is also getting paid for his blocking skills which is best in NFL as well as leadership

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Point being, if his production is similar to what he did in Miami, it "will" be worth the contract because this is what the Browns paid for.

NFL GMs give contracts based on projected future production, not past production. And even going with the assumption he matches the production he had with the Dolphins exactly (which I never said he wouldn't) he is still being paid far more than he's worth. As I said with my first post in the thread, I love Jarvis Landry but I'm quite happy we opted not to sign him to a contract if this contract is any indication of what his demands were.

If you disagree with this and think a slot WR, even an elite one, is worth $15 million per season with $47 million guaranteed, then we should just agree to disagree. It's a fact, however, that it is virtually unheard of.

9 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

NFL GMs give contracts based on projected future production, not past production. And even going with the assumption he matches the production he had with the Dolphins exactly (which I never said he wouldn't) he is still being paid far more than he's worth. As I said with my first post in the thread, I love Jarvis Landry but I'm quite happy we opted not to sign him to a contract if this contract is any indication of what his demands were.

If you disagree with this and think a slot WR, even an elite one, is worth $47 million guaranteed, then we should just agree to disagree. It's a fact, however, that it is virtually unheard of.

You missing the fact that the Browns are not considered on an even plane with the other 31 other NFL teams, we have to overpay especially after the past two seasons. You are paying the premium of being 1-31, we couldn't have done this in FA. This is how you slowly change the perception of your organization through moves and people like this, Landry has tremendous respect amongst his peers, if you have to overpay for a guy like this, so be it. 

Also, its not my money so i'm not in as concerned as you are, why be concerned about it if it isn't an issue?

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

You missing the fact that the Browns are not considered on an even plane with the other 31 other NFL teams, we have to overpay especially after the past two seasons. You are paying the premium of being 1-31, we couldn't have done this in FA. This is how you slowly chance the perception of your organization through moves and people like this, Landry has tremendous respect amongst his peers, if you have to overpay for a guy like this, so be it. 

Also, its not my money so i'm not in as concerned as you are, why be concerned about it if it isn't an issue?

The whole point of this forum is to voice opinions about moves and decisions made by NFL management and players. Why are you questioning why I'm posting my opinion on the matter?

Either way, it seems that you agree that this contract is an overpay, so I'm not sure there's anything else we have to discuss. You're right that this type of deal makes more sense for the Browns than it would any other NFL organization, I've never disputed that much.

I love when Posters get caught up spending other clubs money. As though it effects them in the slightest?

Who cares how much he got paid, that's today's NFL for you. Rediculous and absurd contracts are the norm. For every "over paid" comment being mentioned people should go relook at the stats of the past 4 seasons and where he ranks among not only current players, but all time first 4 years.

All the while playing with scrub QBs like Tannehill, Cutler, Moore, ect. People get way to caught up with he's in Slot, Outside, #1, #2. He produces period!! From the slot as well if not better then any other player the NFL. Compensation was coming regardless.

So if the Browns had to "overpay" to KEEP Him in Cleveland, so be it. Not the first player that has happen to , won't be the last.

Good for him.

Archived