Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Really hope that we are one of the teams in on that, tbh. 

Well, can confirm that we are one of those teams. The VGK Athletic writer said that the Devils have re-engaged in talks with the Knights.

EDIT - Maybe. I'm not sure anymore. GDI.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

If we can land Gusev...

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Gusev-Hughes-Palmieri
Coleman-Zajac-Simmonds
Wood/Boqvist-Zacha-Bastian/Anderson/Hayden

Boqvist is legit but I'm not sure where he fits with that grouping. 

Hell, I'd trade Wood to make room for Boqvist if that was the case. I definitely want Jesper on the team and, if we can use Wood as an asset to make the room and address another need, do it. Plus, I'd love to see how annoying playing against a Coleman-Zajac-Simmonds line would be.

Edited by beekay414

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

If we can land Gusev...

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
Gusev-Hughes-Palmieri
Coleman-Zajac-Simmonds
Wood/Boqvist-Zacha-Bastian/Anderson/Hayden

Boqvist is legit but I'm not sure where he fits with that grouping. 

Hell, I'd trade Wood to make room for Boqvist if that was the case. I definitely want Jesper on the team and, if we can use Wood as an asset to make the room and address another need, do it. Plus, I'd love to see how annoying playing against a Coleman-Zajac-Simmonds line would be.

I'm curious if they would want a roster player in any package. The problem is, besides Smith / Hughes, we don't have a ton of top prospects, and we already lack a second, so I feel like our trade assets are kind of minimal. 

If they want a roster player, though, we have some tempting options. I'd put Zacha, Wood and even Coleman all on the table for Gusev. I really want him. The production he had in the KHL isn't a guarantee of his success here, but he was more productive than Panarin was (though older), so I really think that bodes well. 

So, is Ehlers really available? 

I'd trade Butcher, McLeod, 2020 1st and a conditional 2021 2nd (becomes a first if we advance a certain level in the playoffs in either season) for him and then sign Jake Gardiner. 

Edited by beekay414

On 7/5/2019 at 10:07 AM, beekay414 said:

So, is Ehlers really available? 

I'd trade Butcher, McLeod, 2020 1st and a conditional 2021 2nd (becomes a first if we advance a certain level in the playoffs in either season) for him and then sign Jake Gardiner. 

I think he definitely was at one point. Not sure if he still is. Suppose it depends on what they decide to do. They have a Jacob Trouba sized hole to fill on the backend. I'd be allover Ehlers for something like that though. 

I find it curious that we are going to Arb with Butcher. I feel like if we were interested in keeping him long term, there would already be an extension in place....or at least talk of one. But that doesn't appear to be the case at all. 

10 hours ago, Forge said:

I find it curious that we are going to Arb with Butcher. I feel like if we were interested in keeping him long term, there would already be an extension in place....or at least talk of one. But that doesn't appear to be the case at all. 

I thought we almost always go to Arb with our guys but we end up working out deals before it actually happens?

Just now, beekay414 said:

I thought we almost always go to Arb with our guys but we end up working out deals before it actually happens?

Definitely possible. I mean, they should always file arbitration for sure. It's the only leverage they have, and since there is a hard deadline, they have to request it even if they are working on an extension. But I haven't heard much of anything about a possible extension (not that this is overly shocking...I grew up in Lou's era of Jersey Hockey, so leaks aren't exactly something that flow freely out of the Garden State) which is a little surprising, but the fact that he's probably the most likely defenseman moved in my opinion is also a weird thing hanging over this as well. 

Like, if we are looking to make a move for a legit top 6 forward, I don't think that there's anyway that Butcher wouldn't be involved in any of those deals. Well, except for Gusev. VGK can't afford that. 

Butcher's long term deal worries me though. I think he's a fine player, just never really catches my eyes defensively, and I think on a long term deal, he's getting 5m AAV or something very close to that. And I just don't know that I want to pay him that. ARB is probably the better option anyway. He'll get like 3.2 or something for a year and we can figure out where to go from there. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Definitely possible. I mean, they should always file arbitration for sure. It's the only leverage they have, and since there is a hard deadline, they have to request it even if they are working on an extension. But I haven't heard much of anything about a possible extension (not that this is overly shocking...I grew up in Lou's era of Jersey Hockey, so leaks aren't exactly something that flow freely out of the Garden State) which is a little surprising, but the fact that he's probably the most likely defenseman moved in my opinion is also a weird thing hanging over this as well. 

Like, if we are looking to make a move for a legit top 6 forward, I don't think that there's anyway that Butcher wouldn't be involved in any of those deals. Well, except for Gusev. VGK can't afford that. 

Butcher's long term deal worries me though. I think he's a fine player, just never really catches my eyes defensively, and I think on a long term deal, he's getting 5m AAV or something very close to that. And I just don't know that I want to pay him that. ARB is probably the better option anyway. He'll get like 3.2 or something for a year and we can figure out where to go from there. 

Yeah, I really don't think I want to pay $5 Million for a 3rd pairing LD just because he drives the PP. ESPECIALLY now that we have Subban for 2019 and Smith going forward beyond that to handle PP duties.

I'd imagine Butcher gets dealt. Would be interesting because of how stacked our right side is though. You'd think Vatanen would be the one to go.

Edited by beekay414

Just now, Forge said:

Also, someone has to explain to me how the hell the Sharks got Lablanc to take a 1 year, 1 million dollar offer. That's ridiculous. I'm actually kind of mad about it lol. 

Probably just wants to win. He'll get paid next offseason if they fail, one would think. Still just turning 24 this season.

Just now, beekay414 said:

Yeah, I really don't think I want to pay $5 Million for a 3rd pairing LD just because he drives the PP. ESPECIALLY now that we have Subban for 2019 and Smith going forward beyond that to handle PP duties.

I'd imagine Butcher gets dealt. Would be interesting because of our stacked our right side is though. You'd think Vatanen would be the one to go.

I keep trying to figure out what to do with that as well. I mean, I'd certainly rather have Butcher in there than Greene / Mueller, but at the same time, if Butcher is going to get me someone like Ehlers? See you later, Will. I keep thinking that we could Flip Vats to the the left side, or flip him for a left handed defenseman, just not sure where that comes from. I've also considered flipping him for a rental forward. 

I really would like to work out a deal with the Wild and just get both Zucker and Brodin. Butcher / Mcleod can be part of that deal (I think Mikey's brother is also in the Wild's organization), Miles Wood or whomever. But Zucker / Brodin would really fill us out in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Probably just wants to win. He'll get paid next offseason if they fail, one would think. Still just turning 24 this season.

He was a guy I really, really wanted us to offer sheet given how much of a need he would fill, his relative inexpensiveness and rfa compensation cost. 

I'm kind of sad that we couldn't offer sheet anyone, but at the same time admit that the ones worth offer sheeting simply aren't worth giving up 4 first round picks for lol. I really want to target the Jets for a top 6 forward though, I will say that. They are still just sitting out there with Ehlers being shopped, Connor and Laine as RFAs, etc. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I keep trying to figure out what to do with that as well. I mean, I'd certainly rather have Butcher in there than Greene / Mueller, but at the same time, if Butcher is going to get me someone like Ehlers? See you later, Will. I keep thinking that we could Flip Vats to the the left side, or flip him for a left handed defenseman, just not sure where that comes from. I've also considered flipping him for a rental forward. 

I really would like to work out a deal with the Wild and just get both Zucker and Brodin. Butcher / Mcleod can be part of that deal (I think Mikey's brother is also in the Wild's organization), Miles Wood or whomever. But Zucker / Brodin would really fill us out in my opinion. 

Brodin really isn't very good and doesn't really address our top pairing LD problem though. He's barely a #2 LD as is and his advanced metrics are putrid. I'd rather just roll with Ty Smith as our #1 LD because I'm not sure he could be worse there than Brodin would be.