Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

1 minute ago, Forge said:

He was a guy I really, really wanted us to offer sheet given how much of a need he would fill, his relative inexpensiveness and rfa compensation cost. 

I'm kind of sad that we couldn't offer sheet anyone, but at the same time admit that the ones worth offer sheeting simply aren't worth giving up 4 first round picks for lol. I really want to target the Jets for a top 6 forward though, I will say that. They are still just sitting out there with Ehlers being shopped, Connor and Laine as RFAs, etc. 

Long offseason. Wish it was as quick and chaotic as the NBAs lol.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Reading that Hughes is killing it during our prospect camp. Just so much better than everyone else on the ice and that's not a knock on our prospects either...

I saw some vids and read some talk - said that he was obviously the most talented kid out there. Boqvist supposedly looked solid as well. I think Chris Ryan commented on his shot in particular. One of the guys on Devils Insiders hated the pick of Okhotyuk at 61, but had a lot of praise for him after the 3 on 3's because he wasn't nearly as stiff and was a much better skater than he thought he was. 

27 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

His puck handling is absolutely ridiculous

It's going to be pretty sick how young this team is going to be with prominent players. Our 1c is a 20 year old. Our 1RW (maybe 2rw or maybe 2lw) is a 21 year old former 6th round pick. Our 2C is 18 years old lol. Our other possible option on the second line is a 20 rookie. 

That doesn't even take into account a guy like Ty playing minutes as a 3LD, or even guys like Rooney / Bastian / Anderson who may play meaningful bottom 6 minutes if they make the team. Our 1B goaltender is 22 lol. 

That's really insane when you think about it. 

• Like 1

It's going to be pretty sick how young this team is going to be with prominent players. Our 1c is a 20 year old. Our 1RW (maybe 2rw or maybe 2lw) is a 21 year old former 6th round pick. Our 2C is 18 years old lol. Our other possible option on the second line is a 20 rookie. 

That doesn't even take into account a guy like Ty playing minutes as a 3LD, or even guys like Rooney / Bastian / Anderson who may play meaningful bottom 6 minutes if they make the team. Our 1B goaltender is 22 lol. 

That's really insane when you think about it. 

Future's bright. I'm ready for another Cup. 16 years is too long.

Edited by beekay414

Just now, beekay414 said:

Future's bright. I'm ready for another Cup. 16 years is too long.

Now just trade Hall + whatever small amount is needed to get Marner, sign him 5/58 or something and call it a day for the next few years. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Now just trade Hall + whatever small amount is needed to get Marner, sign him 5/58 or something and call it a day for the next few years. 

Meh. Not sure I'd care to do that. He wants 3 years and I don't think anyone's gonna wanna deal with his crap again that soon. 

Meh. Not sure I'd care to do that. He wants 3 years and I don't think anyone's gonna wanna deal with his crap again that soon. 

He'll go five I think if the offer is there. Even at 3, he's still an rfa, he's just arb eligible, but that could backfire. He just doesn't want seven for sure. The thing for us is that I don't want Hall at 7/84 unless we structure it properly. 

Hall is staying up in Toronto, it solves their cap problems for this year and if I can get market for five, I'm pretty happy. Different skillset though. Have to see how that works

He'll go five I think if the offer is there. Even at 3, he's still an rfa, he's just arb eligible, but that could backfire. He just doesn't want seven for sure. The thing for us is that I don't want Hall at 7/84 unless we structure it properly. 

Hall is staying up in Toronto, it solves their cap problems for this year and if I can get market for five, I'm pretty happy. Different skillset though. Have to see how that works

Yeah but every indication is that he's been staying in touch with Hynes and Shero and loves how everything is going. He's going to re-up so I doubt we'd even entertain the idea of that swap. 

Yeah but every indication is that he's been staying in touch with Hynes and Shero and loves how everything is going. He's going to re-up so I doubt we'd even entertain the idea of that swap. 

Yeah, I'm seeing the quotes. I saw the ones from Hynes earlier...meh. I'm really curious to see if he re-ups before or during the season. I'm wondering if he doesn't just play out the string, tbh. If we get John Tavares'd in this, I'm going to be livid with Shero. But also, I don't like the crazy terms that were given out to 27 year olds in this market. I just don't really care to have Hall for 7/84...he's got a lot of tread on those tires and the injuries both me. Great player so obviously not going to be upset, but yeah, it's risky. 

If you structure it to where the first 3 years of that get him like 45-50, and the back 4 are only 34, I think it's easier to stomach because there are always cheap teams who will take on bigger cap hits than actual salaries owed just to get to the cap floor (yeah, I'm looking at you Ottawa). That way the contract is movable on the back end if it goes south. I just don't know that the ownership will do that. 

The nice thing is that he and PK seem to have a genuine like for one another, and Hall had commented years prior lauding Wayne Simmonds (there's not a small part of me that wonders if that was one of the reasons we signed him). I'd really, really like to secure a top 6 forward or top 4 LHD before the season starts. That's when I think we are locked in and good to go moving forward. 

I still like the idea of something like a Butcher + trade for Nylander to help in the top 6. I'd rather add Nylander for the top 6 and run with Greene / Ty / Mueller on the left side than I would be forced to play Simmonds in the top 6 and have a left side of Greene / Butcher / Ty. Neither one of those lineups is great defensively, but with Nylander, I think our offense is definitely top third of the league in my opinion. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I don't get the obsession over Miles Wood on the HF board. 

Yes, let's protect a 4th line speedster over a potential top 6 right wing. Makes total sense. 

Don't even get me started. 

The majority of them are homerific fans who think that somehow a team that just finished with the top overall pick in the draft is stacked from top to bottom and that somehow guys in our bottom six are somehow these diamonds that simply haven't been polished yet. It's painful sometimes. Seriously, you can ask about anyone who is roughly an NHL caliber player on that team, and they don't want to move him for reasons. I'm sorry, but Miles Wood, I love the energy, I love the attitude, I love the speed, but he's not a good hockey player. He's not the least bit skillful. He's an energetic bottom 6 guy, and that's okay because that is a monumental success from what people thought he could be. He's not even a good skater...just a fast one. Ends up on the ice far too often. 

I tried to have this argument with them before, and I just stopped talking about it with them. He scored 19 goals a couple of years ago...with a shooting percentage that was double his career normal in his other two years. And he's a volume shooter, not a quality shooter, so it's not like he's going to be prone to having higher shooting percentages. That can reasonably be assume to be an outlier. Bring up trading Coleman at some point and see the response there. Its hilarious. I mean, I love Blake Coleman, he's John Madden come again, and you can always use players like that, but if he's what it takes to get someone like Gusev, I'm doing that deal every time. 

• Like 1

I couldn't help it @beekay414 lol. I had to stir up a little something over there with the hole Wood thing. 

That guy try to use the 5x5 primary assist thing with me, acting like his 10 primary 5x5 assists was some portend of greatness ahead just because Nico had fewer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I couldn't help it @beekay414 lol. I had to stir up a little something over there with the hole Wood thing. 

That guy try to use the 5x5 primary assist thing with me, acting like his 10 primary 5x5 assists was some portend of greatness ahead just because Nico had fewer. 

You can contort stats any way you want to support your guy. Protecting Wood over Anderson is just pure lunacy.