Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

12 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

We really gonna roll with 8 defensemen lol

Unless they are going to put Smith in the AHL to start the season. 

Originally, I had him penciled in to be guaranteed a spot. Not so sure now. I think he's going to have to earn it during camp and Pre-season. Unless there is a trade on the way that we are simply unaware of, though I'm not so sure on what the likelihood of that is (let's see if Butcher actually ends up going to Arb - chances of him being moved go up considerably in my opinion if he actually goes to his arb hearing). 

I know it really hinges on this draft class, that I truly love btw, but, looking at our prospect pool, I'm loving the depth. Obviously not all of them will contribute at the NHL level but some of them could be used as assets to make runs in the future. LIS before this draft, this wouldn't be the draft that defines our success, it'll be the class that sustains it.

Joey Anderson
Nathan Bastian
Xavier Bernard
MacKenzie Blackwood (gotta still consider him one as well IMO)
Jesper Boqvist
Cole Brady
Graeme Clarke
Evan Cormier
Brandon Gignac
Arseni Gritsyuk
Jeremy Groleau
Matthew Hellickson
Mitchell Hoelscher
Jack Hughes (still considered a prospect technically)
Josh Jacobs
Case McCarthy
Mikhail Maltsev
Michael McLeod
Daniil Misyul
Patrick Moynihan
Nikita Okhotyuk
Eetu Pakkila
Nikola Pasic
Nikita Popugaev
Akira Schmid
Brett Seney
Gilles Senn
Yegor Sharangovich
Ty Smith
Colby Sissons
Blake Speers
Marian Studenic
Aarne Talvitie
Tyce Thompson
Michael Vukojevic
Reilly Walsh
Colton White
Yegor Zaitsev
Fabian Zetterland

That is a ridiculous amount of depth

Edited by beekay414

Mike Morreale at NHL.com thinks the New Jersey Devils could be looking at a six-year deal at around $4.5 million for restricted free agent defenseman Will Butcher. That would remove three years of Butcher’s unrestricted free agency years which is why he might be seeking more than $5 million per season.

I called that a few dozen pages back if that is what happens @beekay414. I never loved the idea of long term for butcher

Just now, Forge said:

I called that a few dozen pages back if that is what happens @beekay414. I never loved the idea of long term for butcher

If he wants over $5 Million, he can leave. He's not better than Severson and hasn't been asked to do anything other than man the power play and be a 2/3 defensemen. Severson at least has top pairing upside. We kinda can't afford to trade his rights because we'd never get another legitimate collegiate signing to sign with us BUT, we also can't commit $30+ Million to him. Not yet, anyways. Sign him to a bridge deal and be done with it.

I mean....we can only work with what other teams will give us. If it's a bad deal, I don't think that we are making it just to make it. I'd really like another legit top 6 winger, or a legit top 4 LHD, but if we make the move, we make it, and if not, we don't. First time I can remember hearing this from someone directly quoting a source within the organization though. 

If we do make a move, I'll be really curious what direction we go - single year rental, or long term cost controlled type player whom we may have to work the cap around in future years (depending on what it costs to re-sign some of our own guys) 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

I mean....we can only work with what other teams will give us. If it's a bad deal, I don't think that we are making it just to make it. I'd really like another legit top 6 winger, or a legit top 4 LHD, but if we make the move, we make it, and if not, we don't. First time I can remember hearing this from someone directly quoting a source within the organization though. 

If we do make a move, I'll be really curious what direction we go - single year rental, or long term cost controlled type player whom we may have to work the cap around in future years (depending on what it costs to re-sign some of our own guys) 

Really wondering what's holding things up. Then again, the NHL offseason is a drag.

28 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Really wondering what's holding things up. Then again, the NHL offseason is a drag.

NHL off-season is brutal lol. After July first, it just dies. And then it sucks because I see quotes like these, I get visions of Laine or Connor or ehlers additions dancing in my head and I get excited lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

NHL off-season is brutal lol. After July first, it just dies. And then it sucks because I see quotes like these, I get visions of Laine or Connor or ehlers additions dancing in my head and I get excited lol

lol yeah. I'm patiently waiting for that ESPN alert to come through on my phone while I'm sleeping. That's usually when the big news comes. Happened with Hall and Subban.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

lol yeah. I'm patiently waiting for that ESPN alert to come through on my phone while I'm sleeping. That's usually when the big news comes. Happened with Hall and Subban.

The thing is, if we do something, it has to be decently big, right? I mean, the bottom six is set up nicely with a whole bunch of guys to choose from. Lots of depth I'm the young guys there. Rooney, Bastian, Hayden, Anderson, wood or Zacha. Heck, maybe boqvist if Simmonds is on line two (though I think if it comes to that, boqvist is going back to Sweden. I think we'd rather him play there with a lot of minutes). So it makes no sense to make a move for another depth guy. Rhd is set. It has to be top six or a top 2/4 lhd. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

The thing is, if we do something, it has to be decently big, right? I mean, the bottom six is set up nicely with a whole bunch of guys to choose from. Lots of depth I'm the young guys there. Rooney, Bastian, Hayden, Anderson, wood or Zacha. Heck, maybe boqvist if Simmonds is on line two (though I think if it comes to that, boqvist is going back to Sweden. I think we'd rather him play there with a lot of minutes). So it makes no sense to make a move for another depth guy. Rhd is set. It has to be top six or a top 2/4 lhd. 

Yeah, there's no way it's not in an attempt to get a top 6 FWD or top 4 LHD. Though, I'd still trade for a top 6 FWD and sign Jake Gardiner. Yeah, I get it, we have a ton of puck moving dmen but, dude, Gardiner is basically a free asset and we have the space to pull it off AND the need. Gardiner is getting treated like he's a bottom 6 dman. He's better than that. He's a LHD Severson and those guys over on HF have huge Sevs boners but loathe the idea of landing Gardiner lol. It makes no sense.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, there's no way it's not in an attempt to get a top 6 FWD or top 4 LHD. Though, I'd still trade for a top 6 FWD and sign Jake Gardiner. Yeah, I get it, we have a ton of puck moving dmen but, dude, Gardiner is basically a free asset and we have the space to pull it off AND the need. Gardiner is getting treated like he's a bottom 6 dman. He's better than that. He's a LHD Severson and those guys over on HF have huge Sevs boners but loathe the idea of landing Gardiner lol. It makes no sense.

I have to imagine it's the back thing with Gardiner, right? I don't know what else makes sense. I hope we offer him like 6 for one and get him in here short term. 

I'm on board with that as well, and more than happy to trade butcher after we sign Gardiner for a to six forward. It may be a bit short sighted, but honestly, i think we have a better butcher in Smith. Now with pk, butcher isn't even going to run the top PP line. I'm starting to struggle with specifically what his value is. I don't think I care for him long term, but damn, without him, that lhd future is bleak lol

I am starting to wonder if it's Laine out the door in Winnipeg. That seems like a bad relationship. Apparently, there was talk with Montreal, and they asked for Domi. At least that was the rumor on HF. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I have to imagine it's the back thing with Gardiner, right? I don't know what else makes sense. I hope we offer him like 6 for one and get him in here short term. 

I'm on board with that as well, and more than happy to trade butcher after we sign Gardiner for a to six forward. It may be a bit short sighted, but honestly, i think we have a better butcher in Smith. Now with pk, butcher isn't even going to run the top PP line. I'm starting to struggle with specifically what his value is. I don't think I care for him long term, but damn, without him, that lhd future is bleak lol

I am starting to wonder if it's Laine out the door in Winnipeg. That seems like a bad relationship. Apparently, there was talk with Montreal, and they asked for Domi. At least that was the rumor on HF. 

I mean, can we afford to trade assets for Laine and then pay him handsomely knowing we still have to pay Hall and eventually Hischier, Hughes and Bratt? We don't really have a Domi type prospect though, unless that would be Bratt. 

Bratt+Butcher+prospect+pick(s) for Laine could work but then we'd be right back at that spot where we are STILL needing a top 6 FWD. Unless we think Boqvist or Zacha can pull it off.

Edited by beekay414