Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

2 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah. It's one thing to like your own players but it's another thing to come at someone left and right over role players like Miles Wood and Blake Coleman or something as small as not having a 160 lbs 18 year old take faceoffs lol.

OMG OMG... Go read that dude's response to my response lol

It's legitimately one of the worst counterpoints I've ever heard

Okay, I have to post it here. This brings me too much joy. 

Do we honestly see Hughes centering a power play line right out of the gate? The expectation has to be that he's not going to be strong in the dot to start his career. Obviously, he needs to be on a PP line, but doesn't it make more sense to put him on the wing of a Zajac centered power play line?

why would that be an expectation? they don’t drop pucks differently in the nhl...hughes is a professional hockey player, i think he’ll be fine taking faceoffs. i’m good with zajac getting more rest, used for PK and 3rd line duties. and he’s a great fill-in when one of our PP guys inevitably gets injured

Because he's a teenage center playing in the NHL? It wouldn't be completely unprecedented if he was adequate there, but it's certainly an uphill battle. Nolan Patrick was very successful in the dot his first year (50.6%), but that's somewhat rare. Horvat was another one who found success.

Nico (18) - 42.9%
Auston Matthews (19) - 46.9%
Connor McDavid (18) - 41.2%
Nathan MacKinnon (18) - 42.9%
Steven Stamkos (18) - 45.4%
John Tavares (19) - 47.5%
Ryan Nugent Hopkins (18) - 37.5%
Kotkaniemi (18) - 45.7%
Pettersson (19-20) - 41.0%
Mittelstadt (19-20) - 40.2%
Michael Rasmusssen (19) - 35.9%
Clayton Keller (19) - 47.4%
Tyson Jost (18-20) - 37.5% (though he hasn't taken a ton)
Jack Eichel (19) - 41%
Pavel Zacha (19) - 40.3%
Sam Bennett (19) - 46.1%.
Barkov (18, 19) - 48.8, 46.1%
Lindholm (19) - 46.3%

I don't know why the expectation would be that he would be good there, but if that's what you want to think, who am I to stop you. LIS, wouldn't be unprecedented, I'm just not sure why the "expectation" would slant that way given prior history of teenage centers at face offs. Sucking there is like a rite of passage.

Last edited: Today at 7:14 PM

mittlestat’s faceoffs were better his rookie season than his sophomore year. same with barkov, eichel, jost, keller, etc etc. some guys from that list, like nico and matthews, did get progressively better as time went on. so, for some guys what you’re saying is true, for others it’s false. that’s not enough for me to have an ‘expectation’ that hughes will get abused his rookie year. 

the truth is that faceoffs (the importance of which is overblown a bit to begin with IMO) are pretty random, and even oftentimes subject to things outside the center’s control (like a winger being able to get the puck on a set play tie-up off the draw). there are valid reasons to not put hughes at center on the PP, but sheltering him from big bad faceoffs ain’t one of them

Lol absolutely nothing I said was false.

OMG, I can't even.

Middlestadt took 36 faceoffs his rookie year... And he was still bad at it. He took over 500 his next season. I used his career number (since the sample was so small year one) which basically started at 19. He turned 20 during his second season. I posted eichels rookie number when he was a teenager since he played the full year (this is what I did for most). Then he got worse in year two. Both years he sucked. Jost has sucked every year in limited faceoffs. What does it matter anyway if they were better their rookie year than their second year, but still sucked their rookie season? Seriously, how is the Crux of your counter, "sure, they sucked, but sometimes they got worse! And sometimes they got better!". The fact remains that they still sucked that first year at 18/19 years old and I just gave you the numbers to show that. 

What in the world.... That was legitimately one of the worst counterpoints I have ever heard

Last edited: 5 minutes ago

How is that seriously his argument? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Forge said:

It's really amazing. Honestly, it really makes me appreciate this place more. Every team forum here has their homers, but I think a majority of the posters on this site are pretty even keeled

You need to know who to engage with over there to make it not want to rip your hair out.  Never post on the main/trade/prospect forums and only respond to people on your team board who you know are objective.

The ignore feature makes it a really good place to talk on game day with fans of your own team but outside that it's terrible.

Also,

• Like 1

Just now, flyers0909 said:

You need to know who to engage with over there to make it not want to rip your hair out.  Never post on the main/trade/prospect forums and only respond to people on your team board who you know are objective.

The ignore feature makes it a really good place to talk on game day with fans of your own team but outside that it's terrible.

Also,

When doing my research for my post, I was super impressed with the fact that Nolan Patrick won 50% of his faceoffs as an 18 year old lol. I only found 2 (he and Horvat) that won at least 50% as teenagers. That's damn impressive. 

Also...Guseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeev. Yes. I love it. 

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I love you Raymundo!!!!

May as well just do the one year, 6 million dollar deal for Gardiner now. We don't have to unload Butcher. Just make it happen. 

I swear to god if Cory and Mac blow this season for us LOL

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

May as well just do the one year, 6 million dollar deal for Gardiner now. We don't have to unload Butcher. Just make it happen. 

I swear to god if Cory and Mac blow this season for us LOL

I'm all for that. It's a way to slow play Smith just in case he's not quite ready. Only probably is, we've got Mueller and Carrick both signed. So, we'd have to trade someone to make that work for futures. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I'm all for that. It's a way to slow play Smith just in case he's not quite ready. Only probably is, we've got Mueller and Carrick both signed. So, we'd have to trade someone to make that work for futures. 

Yeah...good point. I think that we are just going to end up playing Vats on his off hand along with Subban. I'm okay with that as well. I don't love Carrick, but as a bottom pairing, it's pretty much whatever. They are all kind of the same. 

More amazingness from the HF board...this one from Zajac...which I'm a little surprised by. 

Classic Devil said: 
You're missing Ty Smith.
Nope. I'm not convinced he makes the team. Obviously, he has a shot (and a good one). But I think that he has to earn it, so for the time being, I have him on the outside looking in.

thats silly

he nearly earned it last year and won CHL defenseman of the year. They aren't going to send him back to Spokane again, I would bet my life on it

It's not silly. He may make the team, he may not. We will see. I see no reason to guarantee him a spot just because he's a former first round pick. let him earn it.

no one said to hand him a spot. He has earned it and will continue to do so in camp. What more does he have to gain in Spokane? He dominated last season and won DMan of the year.

So wait, my original premise is that i had him on the outside looking in because I think he should have to earn it...you argue that it's silly, and now are saying that nobody is saying to hand him a spot.....let's let that sink in for a moment. Get back to me when you realize the silliness of your angle here.

LOL like really? 

• Like 1