Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Something interesting but probably nothing...

Pavel Zacha, a restricted free agent, is listed on the Devils official roster on their website but Will Butcher, also a RFA, is not. 

That is interesting. I wonder if it's because butcher is arb eligible and zacha is not

8 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Yep. Shouldn't be a problem long term for us, after this draft class, but it's apparent how big of a hole we have there now. Even with this move, I doubt that Ray is done. We almost have too much depth now (I know, I know...there's no such thing as too much depth), and we brought back Carrick and Mueller for a reason (flexibility and insurance in case Greene falls off, we trade Vatanen/Butcher/both, or Smith isn't ready). I honestly think we're going to move Butcher and/or Vatanen and some forward depth like Wood or Bastian/Anderson/etc. However, I'll guarantee that we aren't trading Boqvist unless we get a young, bonafide top pairing LHD signed long term and that's simply not going to happen.

Wood, Butcher, McLeod/Studenic for Nurse and Kassian works.

Hall-Hischier-Palmieri
Gusev-Hughes-Bratt
Zacha-Zajac-Simmonds
Boqvist-Coleman-Kassian

Greene-Subban
Nurse-Severson
Smith-Vatanen

Looks really damn good to me. Like I've said before when projecting the D, Greene wouldn't be a top pair minute eating Dman the whole time. It'd be circumstantial/situational as to who plays that role when the situation calls for it.

That team, right there, looks like it can compete immediately.

This also allows Bastian and Anderson to take on bigger roles in Bingo and be ready to fill in for Simmonds and Kassian in 2020-2021.

Our second line last year with injury to bratt was noesen - zacha - marjo. Let that sink in for a second when looking at this new lineup lol

• Like 1

We basically have 3 days now (well, 2 and some change) to get Butcher locked in, otherwise we go to arb. I was kind of hoping it wouldn't get that far, but if it does, hopefully it's not a contentious affair. I'm assuming that he is the next thing that we are going to be hyper focused on over the next couple of days. Kind of surprised that we haven't heard anything about negotiations either long term or for a bridge deal.

Apparently, he just got married, and obviously we were working the Gusev angle, so it was a good time for each party to focus on other things. With all that in the books now, I think we will be pushing this hard over the next two days. Doesn't seem like anything is in the works with regards to a trade (Tom Fitzgerald called Gusev basically the cherry on top of the off season, but wouldn't rule out something else happening. Just doesn't seem like anything else being talked about). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Forge said:

I really hate Tampa Bay. How do they manage to get Maroon for less than 1 million dollars on a one year deal, while we had to pay 5 million for Simmonds? That's just unfair lol. 

Perception? I dunno. I think Simmonds will be better than Maroon but that's beside the point. 

52 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Perception? I dunno. I think Simmonds will be better than Maroon but that's beside the point. 

I think Simmonds will likely have the better year, but I think that they would be comparable tbh. More upside with Simmonds though for sure. I mean, I woudln't be completely shocked if he threw up a 25 goal season for us. You're not getting that with Maroon, who's likely to be a 30 point scorer with 10-12 goals. 

Side note...it's crazy how the nhl off season has just died LOL. 

Like, we can't even get the premiere RFAs to sign. Jake Gardiner is still just chilling out there. The Rangers have been trying to unload Kreider for like 2 months now. 

1. I wasn’t a huge fan of Nikola Pasic (LW, New Jersey) in his draft season, but I’ve seen more from him this summer. At the 4 Nations he showed real skill and high-end hockey sense, making a fair amount of plays and being a go-to offensive player for Sweden. I see more rationale now for him being a draft pick.
  2. Another New Jersey prospect I had my eye on this summer is defenseman Daniil Misyul. He was just OK at the 4 Nations but intrigued me a few weeks ago in games with the Russian national B team versus KHL squads. He played on the power play for their B team as a 19-year-old and didn’t look out of place at that level. He’s looked good versus older players such as his games in the KHL toward the end of last season.

Corey Pronman after watching some of the prospect games / u20 tournaments.