Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd definitely prefer to move Wood, but if Coleman gets us a decent return, I'd absolutely move him. I love him; heart and soul and guts type player, but truthfully, I'm not really convinced that he's not all that replaceable. In fact, I'd love for the person who could replace him to be Wood. If Wood could be disciplined, and defensively responsible, I think he'd be a monster on the PK with that speed. Could have a Michael Grabner type shorthanded goal contribution. But I simply can't ever trust him in that role. 

It does feel great to have that kind of depth and not have room for all the guys that we want to be up here. I mean, that list doesn't even include Bastian, who was pretty impressive at the end of last year, Hayden, and other fourth line clunkers. Such a nice change of pace from the days when we legitimately could not fill out a full 4 lines iwth actual NHL players. 

Really wish we could use some of that forward depth to go out and get a legit top pairing LHD. Will be interesting to see what Shero does this trade deadline, assuming we're in the hunt. We have a ton of LW depth in the system, so I could also see us using that and swapping them with a team that is RW heavy. Wouldn't know who that would be but I know we have no legitimate top 6 type RW prospects in our system (obviously doesn't include Bratt). We hope Graeme Clarke can be that guy but, as of right now, Joey Anderson, Marian Studenic or Nathan Bastian are our best RW prospects and they all seem to be 3rd line types, with Studenic probably having the most upside. 

EDIT - Forgot about Fabian Zetterlund too. NVM, we aren't as bad off as I thought we were at RW in the system. So forget about what I just said lol. We need to trade some of this forward depth for a legitimate LHD.

Edited by beekay414

6 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Also, Bingo's forward group is going to be absolutely loaded this year. No idea how to projected the lines but here's a quick mock up...

Maltsev-McLeod-Studenic
Seney-Speers-Anderson
Baddock-Sharangovich-Bastian
Popugaev-Gignac-Zetterlund

Damn, that's nice. And those guys are so fairly young. I love that we don't have the 33 year old career minor leaguer in there

Just now, Forge said:

Damn, that's nice. And those guys are so fairly young. I love that we don't have the 33 year old career minor leaguer in there

I left off 32 year old Ben Street lol. I'd like to find a way to get the higher upside guys up the lineup there. Something like...

Maltsev-McLeod-Zetterlund
Studenic-Seney-Anderson
Popugaev-Sharangovich-Bastian
Baddock-Gignac-Speers

I know Studenic is mainly a RW but he's a left hand shot so he's the first I move off position.

13 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Really wish we could use some of that forward depth to go out and get a legit top pairing LHD. Will be interesting to see what Shero does this trade deadline, assuming we're in the hunt. We have a ton of LW depth in the system, so I could also see us using that and swapping them with a team that is RW heavy. Wouldn't know who that would be but I know we have no legitimate top 6 type RW prospects in our system (obviously doesn't include Bratt). We hope Graeme Clarke can be that guy but, as of right now, Joey Anderson, Marian Studenic or Nathan Bastian are our best RW prospects and they all seem to be 3rd line types, with Studenic probably having the most upside. 

EDIT - Forgot about Fabian Zetterlund too. NVM, we aren't as bad off as I thought we were at RW in the system. So forget about what I just said lol. We need to trade some of this forward depth for a legitimate LHD.

I'd probably like another center, but maltsev may be a center before all is said and done, which would help.

And I really do like what I saw from Clarke. Obviously years away, but I thought he was one of our standouts in the prospect challenge

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I left off 32 year old Ben Street lol. I'd like to find a way to get the higher upside guys up the lineup there. Something like...

Maltsev-McLeod-Zetterlund
Studenic-Seney-Anderson
Popugaev-Sharangovich-Bastian
Baddock-Gignac-Speers

I know Studenic is mainly a RW but he's a left hand shot so he's the first I move off position.

If we can get zetterlund to just stay healthy this year, I'll be ecstatic. He lost quite of bit of development time

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'd probably like another center, but maltsev may be a center before all is said and done, which would help.

True, I didn't really think of center. That makes sense. We're stong on the wings so maybe we could find a trade partner with someone who is strong up the middle.

And I really do like what I saw from Clarke. Obviously years away, but I thought he was one of our standouts in the prospect challenge

Think he's going to be a good one. I love this entire draft class so I'm probably unable to be partial lol. I think they all have potential to be studs down the line, even Pasic.

Just now, beekay414 said:

Think he's going to be a good one. I love this entire draft class so I'm probably unable to be partial lol. I think they all have potential to be studs down the line, even Pasic.

I forget who it was, either masisak or pronman, but one of them said he (pasic) looked pretty good in a recent tournament. Better than he remembered

• Like 1

I just realized, as reading an article, that there's a good chance we are carrying 4-5 rookies in somewhat important roles (includes blackwood). It's like 1999 again (Gomez, Madden, rafalski, white.... Though white didn't come up until the end of the season)

I forget who it was, either masisak or pronman, but one of them said he (pasic) looked pretty good in a recent tournament. Better than he remembered

Mitchell Hoelscher is another guy that's better than advertised. We've really, really rebuild the pipeline over these last 5 years. No real standout type prospect but that's because they're already on the NHL roster lol. If you were to add Hischier, Hughes and Bratt into that group? It's definitely up there around the league. Would really like one or two of these guys to take off and become our next stud prospect. Money is on Misyul or Clarke to be that/those guy(s). Arseni Gritsyuk could be as well. Of course, can't forget to mention Case McCarthy.

I just realized, as reading an article, that there's a good chance we are carrying 4-5 rookies in somewhat important roles (includes blackwood). It's like 1999 again (Gomez, Madden, rafalski, white.... Though white didn't come up until the end of the season)

Hughes, Boqvist, Blackwood, Smith? Who else am I potentially missing?

NHL
Mackenzie Blackwood
Jesper Bratt
Nico Hischier
Jack Hughes
Ty Smith

Minors
Joey Anderson
Nathan Bastian
Xavier Bernard
Cole Brady
Graeme Clarke