Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I honestly am not sure what we will do with Smith. It's hard to say he it's ready. Very, very up and down. But bingo isn't an option for him as I understand it. Juniors or NHL only. And he's done everything he can at Juniors. That's just me making sure he gets smoke playing time there. But if they gave him the roster spot, I think he's the 7th or even 8th defenseman and unlikely to play much at all.

Weird position

You keep him on the roster, even if it's as the 7th or 8th dman. All it'd take is one injury and we'd be left relying on Carrick and Mueller both, full time. You keep Smith around, let him get used to the NHL game and let him grow with the team. We have nothing to gain by sending him back to Juniors.

13 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

You keep him on the roster, even if it's as the 7th or 8th dman. All it'd take is one injury and we'd be left relying on Carrick and Mueller both, full time. You keep Smith around, let him get used to the NHL game and let him grow with the team. We have nothing to gain by sending him back to Juniors.

Do you know why he can't be sent down to Bingo? I mean, honestly, that's what he needs. Gives him the chance to play every day while facing better competition. I assumed maybe it had to do with burning a year off his ELC, but it can't just be that, because if that were the case, there's more merit to putting him in Bingo as opposed to stashing him as an emergency 8th dman as both would burn the year off. 

NVM, I just saw. An agreement between NHL and canadian juniors that if they are younger than 20, they have to be returned. That kind of sucks. Gives merit to drafting russians and scandinavians  honestly lol. But seriously, they should have an appeals process in place there because that is actually detrimental to Smith as a player and is not what is in his own best interest. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Do you know why he can't be sent down to Bingo? I mean, honestly, that's what he needs. Gives him the chance to play every day while facing better competition. I assumed maybe it had to do with burning a year off his ELC, but it can't just be that, because if that were the case, there's more merit to putting him in Bingo as opposed to stashing him as an emergency 8th dman as both would burn the year off. 

I don't know. Might be a good question for the guys over on HF.

Just now, beekay414 said:

I don't know. Might be a good question for the guys over on HF.

II looked into it and edited my previous post. Kind of a crap scenario for Smith tbh. He's surpassed juniors but probably not ready for the show. It's what the AHL exists for 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

II looked into it and edited my previous post. Kind of a crap scenario for Smith tbh. He's surpassed juniors but probably not ready for the show. It's what the AHL exists for 

Yeah, the way I see it is, you burn that year off his ELC. It's not worth sending him back to Juniors. We send him back to Juniors and we're looking at Matt Tennyson being the first man up from Bingo. The guy that's the worst player to play for the Buffalo Sabres this millennium. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, the way I see it is, you burn that year off his ELC. It's not worth sending him back to Juniors. We send him back to Juniors and we're looking at Matt Tennyson being the first man up from Bingo. The guy that's the worst player to play for the Buffalo Sabres this millennium. 

I think you have to as well. It really sucks (for both us and Smith) because I just flat out don't think he's ready, and now we are burning a roster spot for him, and he's going to be sitting for 88% of the season barring injury. 

Side note - we really should trade Miles Wood. I honestly don't know that he's one of our best 12 forwards when you account for niche roles that a guy like Hayden / Bastian will perform / excel at. 

Just now, Forge said:

Side note - we really should trade Miles Wood. I honestly don't know that he's one of our best 12 forwards when you account for niche roles that a guy like Hayden / Bastian will perform / excel at. 

Absolutely. I don't even care if it's for futures. Trade him. There's no reason he can't be supplanted on the 4th line by Bastian/Maltsev. He does absolutely nothing, other than being fast in a straight line, better than they do. Of course, don't say that over on HF. They'll act like you've committed treason if you even remotely hint that Wood is expendable.

Both Wood and Coleman need to be cashed in on. They are both solid NHLers but we can live with Bastian and Maltsev replacing them. Even Hayden.

Absolutely. I don't even care if it's for futures. Trade him. There's no reason he can't be supplanted on the 4th line by Bastian/Maltsev. He does absolutely nothing, other than being fast in a straight line, better than they do. Of course, don't say that over on HF. They'll act like you've committed treason if you even remotely hint that Wood is expendable.

Both Wood and Coleman need to be cashed in on. They are both solid NHLers but we can live with Bastian and Maltsev replacing them. Even Hayden.

I don't mind keeping Coleman, but I'm totally with you in regards to listening to offers. Given his contract, he could seriously give you a really nice return, and if I'm getting a really nice return for him, I'm moving him. 

Just now, Forge said:

I don't mind keeping Coleman, but I'm totally with you in regards to listening to offers. Given his contract, he could seriously give you a really nice return, and if I'm getting a really nice return for him, I'm moving him. 

Exactly. We'd miss him a bit, sure, but you take value whenever you can. 

Exactly. We'd miss him a bit, sure, but you take value whenever you can. 

1.8m for this year and next for a good penalty killer and a guy who can put up 20 goals. I mean, that's a legit return. Grabner was much the same and yielded a second round pick + Rykov as a deadline rental. We would get a legit prospect / pick for Coleman for sure. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

1.8m for this year and next for a good penalty killer and a guy who can put up 20 goals. I mean, that's a legit return. Grabner was much the same and yielded a second round pick + Rykov as a deadline rental. We would get a legit prospect / pick for Coleman for sure. 

And I'm great with that.