Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Awesome! Welcome to the best hockey thread on this forum. Me and @Forge are insanely active in here so you'll have plenty of conversation. I work 2nd shift so I won't see most of the game live, unfortunately, but I'll give the best I can. Forge, though, is the man. 

That's great. Yea Forge is a good poster, I've even listened to his 49ers podcast a few times lol. I saw it on the side team topics thing and thought it was cool that some people from FF were doing a show together. 

I had no idea that the Devils were a decent team just a while ago. On last night's broadcast they were talking about this Hall guy having obtained like an MVP equivalency award or something. And now he's back from injury and to be paired with Hughes and some other defensive pieces they've acquired. I figured they could be like a Dolphins/Cardinals team where hope wasn't exactly on the horizon, but it seems like people are saying this team can get some things done in 19/20. That's good to hear. 

2 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I had no idea that the Devils were a decent team just a while ago. On last night's broadcast they were talking about this Hall guy having obtained like an MVP equivalency award or something. And now he's back from injury and to be paired with Hughes and some other defensive pieces they've acquired. I figured they could be like a Dolphins/Cardinals team where hope wasn't exactly on the horizon, but it seems like people are saying this team can get some things done in 19/20. That's good to hear. 

Yeah, we overachieved in 2018 and made the playoffs but lost in 5 to the Lightning. Hall was so good he won the MVP (the Hart trophy) that year. Last year, they reverted, were really injured and got lucky as hell in the draft lottery and landed a franchise changing talent in Jack Hughes. We did that, traded for PK Subban and then took flat out advantage of Vegas's cap issues and took Gusev for little to nothing. This team is gonna be fun.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yeah, we overachieved in 2018 and made the playoffs but lost in 5 to the Lightning. Hall was so good he won the MVP (the Hart trophy) that year. Last year, they reverted, were really injured and got lucky as hell in the draft lottery and landed a franchise changing talent in Jack Hughes. We did that, traded for PK Subban and then took flat out advantage of Vegas's cap issues and took Gusev for little to nothing. This team is gonna be fun.

That's amazing. I imagine some fans are repulsed by this lottery system though lol. That's hilarious and way different than the NFL. You can luck into a blue chip franchise type player, even if you're aren't that bad. Must be destiny for Hughes to be a Devil.

I have a question. Against the Rangers Wayne Simmonds missed on a score opportunity off what looked to be a great pass from Hughes right near the goal. I was surprised to then hear the guys calling the game characterize the pass as lackluster from Hughes and not the timing of Simmonds swing. Do you remember this play, and what was your take?

1 minute ago, DreamKid said:

That's amazing. I imagine some fans are repulsed by this lottery system though lol. That's hilarious and way different than the NFL. You can luck into a blue chip franchise type player, even if you're aren't that bad. Must be destiny for Hughes to be a Devil.

@Forge and I willed Hughes into existence. Trust me on that one lol!

1 minute ago, DreamKid said:

I have a question. Against the Rangers Wayne Simmonds missed on a score opportunity off what looked to be a great pass from Hughes right near the goal. I was surprised to then hear the guys calling the game characterize the pass as lackluster from Hughes and not the timing of Simmonds swing. Do you remember this play, and what was your take?

I do not recall but I'm sure the pass was fine. Hughes is a borderline elite passer already. Simmonds probably just whiffed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

@Forge and I willed Hughes into existence. Trust me on that one lol!

Good work fellas.

10 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I do not recall but I'm sure the pass was fine. Hughes is a borderline elite passer already. Simmonds probably just whiffed.

That's what it looked like to me as well. So when they started saying he put too much heat on the pass, I was thinking "Is that a thing?". 

17 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I still have the NHL Draft on my DVR just in case it wasn't real lol 

Watching that pick made 2018 worth it. We're making the playoffs in 2019-2020. No doubt about it.

I just found the 2019 draft on youtube so I'm going to give that a watch. I've seen a lot of people talk about this 2nd overall pick going to the Rangers and about how there's going to be this rivalry. They were building him up in the game last night too. This Kakko guy. 

2 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I just found the 2019 draft on youtube so I'm going to give that a watch. I've seen a lot of people talk about this 2nd overall pick going to the Rangers and about how there's going to be this rivalry. They were building him up in the game last night too. This Kakko guy. 

Was intrigue for the draft because the Rangers had the 2nd pick. Everyone knew the 2019 draft belonged to Jack Hughes.

11 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

I wonder if Ranger fans are trying to play it off like they actually got the best player. I wouldn't be surprised. 

Of course they are. Prime example would be Hughes scoring and them saying "its just preseason" but then Chytil doing something positive and them saying "he looks like a bigger Hughes" and what not. It's a rivalry. They are lucky to fall into Kakko but they all know we got the franchise talent.

• Like 1

Welcome @DreamKid!! Definitely the best hockey thread on this forum right here. We look forward to having you in here as well! As beekay said, he and I are both very active in the thread (we will catch the general hockey thread soon lol) and we talk a lot back and forth. Really looking forward to a fun season from this team this year. 

Goaltenders:  Evan Cormier and Gilles Senn

Defensemen: Michael Paliotta, Colby Sissons and Colton White

Forwards: Joey Anderson, Brandon Gignac, Ludvig Larsson, Mikhail Maltsev, Nikita Popugaev, Ryan Schmelzer, Brett Seney, Yegor Sharangovich, Blake Speers, Marian Studenic and Fabian Zetterlund

Most recent cut list. Has to be a little disappointing for Anderson not making it to the final round.

Could see maltsev sooner rather than later if Zacha can't get his Visa issues sorted