Old Devils Thread (Lock 'er up please)

beekay414

Just now, beekay414 said:

I just said he's been better as of late. He was fine in December. Far too early to give up on the kid. He hasn't even played a full season of games in his career yet.

Nobody is giving up on him, but you have to be willing to give others a shot. We are stacked on the left side. There's no reason that he should have a stranglehold on an NHL role when the prospect pool is pretty good at that spot. 

Just now, Forge said:

Nobody is giving up on him, but you have to be willing to give others a shot. We are stacked on the left side. There's no reason that he should have a stranglehold on an NHL role when the prospect pool is pretty good at that spot. 

Exactly who is kicking down the door at LHD right now? 

It's been 79 games total and 31 games this year. 

Doesn't mean he needs to stay in the NHL if you're trying to fight for the playoffs. LIS, this year it doesn't matter as the team sucks. But he has to have a leash at some point. 

Exactly who is kicking down the door at LHD right now? 

Mookie and Hughes will be here after next year. I don't like Bahl, but if you want a big physical defensive presence because Smith is just getting consistently run over defensively, I would understand it. Okhotiuk could certainly play a third pair d man role 

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

He was a stud last year. He's fine. 

Doesn't mean you give him infinite time to get right. Give him the season since we aren't going anywhere anyway, but at some point the team has to be open to letting people move on by him. 

Just now, Forge said:

Mookie and Hughes will be here after next year. I don't like Bahl, but if you want a big physical defensive presence because Smith is just getting consistently run over defensively, I would understand it. Okhotiuk could certainly play a third pair d man role 

Doesn't sound like anything pressing is happening to me. Bold is like saying we should demote Zacha for Nolan Foote.

We have no reason to abandon the kid and demote him. Let him work through it. 

Just now, Forge said:

Doesn't mean you give him infinite time to get right. Give him the season since we aren't going anywhere anyway, but at some point the team has to be open to letting people move on by him. 

It's not infinite time. It's 31 games lol.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Doesn't sound like anything pressing is happening to me. Bold is like saying we should demote Zacha for Nolan Foote.

Okhotiuk could be a better player in the NHL right now than Smith if he can play defense. He's been a beast in the AHL this year, but I don't know if that would carry over. Smith doesn't contribute enough offensively at this juncture to really overlook the poor defense. 

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It's not infinite time. It's 31 games lol.

I'm not talking about what he has played so far this year. I"m talking about what we give him moving forward. 

We give him the rest of this year and he continues to suck....and then we give him next year and he continues to suck...we just keep giving him run because he's Jacks' roommate? 

Just now, Forge said:

Okhotiuk could be a better player in the NHL right now than Smith if he can play defense. He's been a beast in the AHL this year, but I don't know if that would carry over. Smith doesn't contribute enough offensively at this juncture to really overlook the poor defense. 

He was at a 40 point pace in December. LIS, he was coming around lately until that gaffe. Let him play through it. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm not talking about what he has played so far this year. I"m talking about what we give him moving forward. 

We give him the rest of this year and he continues to suck....and then we give him next year and he continues to suck...we just keep giving him run because he's Jacks' roommate? 

He's not going to continue to suck for 2 years. As I've said, twice now, he was coming around in December until that gaffe today. You're all Chicken Little right now, IRT Smith, for no real reason.

He's not going to continue to suck for 2 years. As I've said, twice now, he was coming around in December until that gaffe today. You're all Chicken Little right now, IRT Smith, for no real reason.

He just hasn't been very good. He also just got owned by baby mcleod a couple games back as well. Defensively, it's been awful. It's just been a really bad year. I'd disagree he was coming around in December as well. He got smashed in the middle of the month pretty bad I thought. 

Maybe he will suck, maybe he won't. We will see.