Around the NFL

Forge

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

I'm not sure how there are still some who are unsure about whether or not Frank Gore is a Hall of Famer or not. He's definitely going in. 

I can see a good amount of the voting community saying he was never the best runner in the NFL in any given year or didn't score a lot of touchdowns. Or he was a compiler near the end. Hope I'm wrong and he gets in one day. Being in the top five rushing all time should be enough.

16 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I can see a good amount of the voting community saying he was never the best runner in the NFL in any given year or didn't score a lot of touchdowns. Or he was a compiler near the end. Hope I'm wrong and he gets in one day. Being in the top five rushing all time should be enough.

My counter to this is Jerome Bettis is a Hall of Famer with less yards and the same amount of Touchdowns without ever being the best runner in the NFL in any given year. Gore and Bettis played the same number of years. Bettis had more carries. Gore's best season was better than any Bettis season. And then on top of that, the fact that he was one of the best pass-blocking backs in the game, and a bad word has never been uttered about him. 

I doubt he's a first ballot guy, but he'll get in. 

13 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

My counter to this is Jerome Bettis is a Hall of Famer with less yards and the same amount of Touchdowns without ever being the best runner in the NFL in any given year. Gore and Bettis played the same number of years. Bettis had more carries. Gore's best season was better than any Bettis season. And then on top of that, the fact that he was one of the best pass-blocking backs in the game, and a bad word has never been uttered about him. 

I can see someone easily countering that Bettis was voted first team All Pro twice and did win a championship in addition to having his yard totals. I do think if Bettis and Martin are in, Gore should have strong consideration. Won't be surprised if it doesn't happen though.

12 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I can see someone easily countering that Bettis was voted first team All Pro twice and did win a championship in addition to having his yard totals. I do think if Bettis and Martin are in, Gore should have strong consideration. Won't be surprised if it doesn't happen though.

Well, I'll definitely be shocked if it doesn't. I mean, how many that aren't in can you make the case deserve it more than he does? Peterson for sure. But then who? The only current semifinalists at the position are Roger Craig and Edgerrin James. Gore would have a much better case than either, IMO (Craig was my first favorite player, for what it's worth). After Gore/Peterson, no active players have even 10k yards yet (McCoy and Lynch will both likely get there). 

And your points about the all-pro and Super Bowl win are valid, and I think that's why he's not a first ballot guy. But my counter to those is that Gore's best season is better than Bettis's all-pro years. It's certainly not Gore's fault that his best year came in a season where two backs with top offenses put up ridiculous numbers while Gore "merely" broke 2,000 all-purpose yards on a middling team with a shaky, at best, offense. Put Gore's best season in Bettis's all-pro year (either or) and he takes away that award. And it's certainly not Gore's fault that he didn't win a Super Bowl. He had 110 yards and a TD. More than Bettis had in his.

It's going to happen. I don't ever doubt Frank Gore. If he plays one more year, he may finish 4th all-time. And they're not going to leave a top 5 back out of the hall...for long anyway. 

What some ppl fail to realize is that Gore was the Niners only "real" contributor in the beginning. The fact that defenses put 8/9 ppl in the box and he still gashed them was surreal, granted not unheard of, but we were in the bottom tier for awhile. I still remember the game against Seattle and the video of Holmgren losing it, saying, who is this guy?! Granted these are my opinions, but Gore was (is) a beast!  I would be upset if he doesn't get his call into Canton! 

10 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Well, I'll definitely be shocked if it doesn't. I mean, how many that aren't in can you make the case deserve it more than he does? Peterson for sure. But then who? The only current semifinalists at the position are Roger Craig and Edgerrin James. Gore would have a much better case than either, IMO (Craig was my first favorite player, for what it's worth). After Gore/Peterson, no active players have even 10k yards yet (McCoy and Lynch will both likely get there). 

And your points about the all-pro and Super Bowl win are valid, and I think that's why he's not a first ballot guy. But my counter to those is that Gore's best season is better than Bettis's all-pro years. It's certainly not Gore's fault that his best year came in a season where two backs with top offenses put up ridiculous numbers while Gore "merely" broke 2,000 all-purpose yards on a middling team with a shaky, at best, offense. Put Gore's best season in Bettis's all-pro year (either or) and he takes away that award. And it's certainly not Gore's fault that he didn't win a Super Bowl. He had 110 yards and a TD. More than Bettis had in his.

It's going to happen. I don't ever doubt Frank Gore. If he plays one more year, he may finish 4th all-time. And they're not going to leave a top 5 back out of the hall...for long anyway. 

The one thing that you can say about Gore as well - the media has no issues with him (big plus). He may not have had the Bus' personality, but he's always been pretty cordial and it seems to me that a lot of media guys are fond of him and impressed by what he has been able to do. Also, his story is one that I think voters, media, fans, etc just like to eat up. I think the story he presents is a very good one and I think that's something the will help him in the voting process truth be told. Guy that blew out both knees, slipped down in the draft, kept working, and working and working? Yeah, voters will like that. 

On 12/5/2017 at 6:17 PM, y2lamanaki said:

Bettis is a good comp because I think in a lot of ways their impact of the years was similar.  Everythin you noted should do it, plus Gore's career YPC of 4.4 is way better than Bettis's YPC.

2 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

For a while this is the report I was I hoping I'd wake up to regarding Paraag Marathe.

By all accounts Paraag has done an outstanding job of contract negotiations and cap management. And as far as I've read I think that's all he does these days.  Given that why would you want him gone?

32 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

By all accounts Paraag has done an outstanding job of contract negotiations and cap management. And as far as I've read I think that's all he does these days.  Given that why would you want him gone?

Well like I said this is what I wanted before. Now he's effectively gone back into the shadows. Before I was hearing his name in a negative light way too much. That is something I've been happy about ever since Lynch was hired. No ******* leaks and reports of shady dealings from front office executives trying to make a power play. 

17 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Well like I said this is what I wanted before. Now he's effectively gone back into the shadows. Before I was hearing his name in a negative light way too much. That is something I've been happy about ever since Lynch was hired. No ******* leaks and reports of shady dealings from front office executives trying to make a power play. 

I remember the piece that King did on our draft - he thinks that Paraag is going to be a GM for someone at some point.

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

Bye Felicia. 

I wouldn't want him to go. As a money guy, he's top notch. As a guy who conducts trade, he's extremely good. Have to keep him out of the other stuff, which he has been the last couple of years I believe. What he does, however, he does extremely well. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wouldn't want him to go. As a money guy, he's top notch. As a guy who conducts trade, he's extremely good. Have to keep him out of the other stuff, which he has been the last couple of years I believe. What he does, however, he does extremely well. 

Oh I know. As long as he knows his role (and shuts his mouth) then he can stick around. This is the first year where there has been no problems. Glad Lynch was upfront about that with Jed before he took the job. Funny how the leaks stopped when that happened. B|

I'll never forget Jed at one of the season ending pressers I think it was, saying that if there was anyone in the organization leaking information that they won't be apart of it. Nah, not buying it Jed. But that's cool. Things are ok for now. They just need to stay the fudge out the way. 

Archived