A Song of Ice and Fire

THE DUKE

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Just as likely that the bastard of Bolton has skinned mance and gotten all of that information out of him imo 

What is mance's motivation in sending the letter? 

In goading Jon to take an army south filled with mostly his people.  Make Jon break his oath to the Nights Watch and be in a somewhat similar situation to him.  Jon getting stabbed wasn't part of the plan.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, N4L said:

Just as likely that the bastard of Bolton has skinned mance and gotten all of that information out of him imo 

What is mance's motivation in sending the letter? 

I'm under the assumption that it really was Ramsay, though more than anything else, that's because it was written by Ramsay on the show.

Though I admit it could have been changed pretty easily, since the showrunners cut out a good chunk of that storyline.

19 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Ill say this. You make me want to hear your thoughts on the Pink Letter.

It's been awhile since I read the books. But my thought was when I read them and thought about the letter it struck me that it was Ramsey who most definitely wrote it. But I think he caught one of the spear wives and tortured the info out of her. He knows details only Mance and the Spearwives would know but people often forget that Mance was very cunning, and while he would have brought with him people he could trust with sensitive information he was also alert and savvy enough to hide in plain site. The moment one or all of those women had gotten scooped up he could have just as easily disappeared. Mance knows Winterfell, he went there when he wore the black and he also went again when he traveled there to see King Robert in person. So he knows how to blend in and he knows how to hide, Winterfell being fairly large and cramped now that so many have taken refuge there he could hide all that more easily. Being that he adept at posing as a bard in plain site or able to hide in the woods like he has in the north, he would have most certainly known about the Spearwives getting caught since he was probably around when it happened. Keep in mind they were caught first because of Jeyne so he could have easily gotten out of there first.

I think Ramsey was bluffing when he said I have your King. It's possible he has Mance, but I just think Mance is far too good to get caught at this point.

Edited by Calvert28

This isn't related to the new episode but one thing I really miss from the books is the Kingsguard. They're all unique characters in the book(and some are even good people) and in the show, save for the mountain, they're just nameless and expendable. On the other hand, no Kettleblacks is a plus I suppose. 

7 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

This isn't related to the new episode but one thing I really miss from the books is the Kingsguard. They're all unique characters in the book(and some are even good people) and in the show, save for the mountain, they're just nameless and expendable. On the other hand, no Kettleblacks is a plus I suppose. 

Yeah, they really didn't do anything with them in the show. I mean Barriston, Meryn Trant, and Gregor....did any other member of the Kingsguard even get named in the show? 

Just now, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

It annoyed me they turned Sam into the younger brother of Dickon in the show for some reason. Like, that takes away from the whole reason his dad sent him to the watch and cheapens his storyline. 

They didn't...

Sam tells the story in the show about his father making him take the black so he wouldn't inherit anything.