A Song of Ice and Fire

THE DUKE

3 hours ago, cddolphin said:

I very strongly doubt it. So many differences where the book left of. The second Targ, Sansa's storyline for starters will be hugely, hugely different. Not to mention Euron Greyjoy will probably be vastly different from show Euron.

Edited - Wasn't sure how we feel about spoilerish speculation in this thread. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

Edited - Wasn't sure how we feel about spoilerish speculation in this thread. 

This is a song of ice and fire. And the books have been out for a long while. So who ever has a problem with it I say is just their problem and they can stay out of the thread. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
55 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Surprised Fire and Blood hasnt been touched on in this thread.

Just finished it last night. Starts off very slow, then becomes amazing.

Its written like a history or is it written in the same style as asoiaf? I assumed the former but if not, I will be all over it

On 6/20/2018 at 6:14 PM, skywindO2 said:

Anything goes in this thread imo

idk, I have avoided the show at all costs. I am completely in the dark about what happens after the end of dance of dragons in the show. I have gone to great lengths to maintain this lol someone posting a spoiler from the show would be upsetting to say the least.

Going to be impossible after the show concludes and everyone and their brother thinks they can openly talk about the ending because 'everyone who cares will have seen it' 

YUCK

Fingers crossed we get a book release date at the premier or the finale. My cousin works in publishing and says it will take 3 months to print after all the editing is done. So July would be the absolute earliest I would ever expect it. 

I actually think that he plans to finish the whole series then release both books in back to back years. I dont think he liked leaving DoD on a cliff hanger the way he did but he literally couldnt continue to add pages otherwise they wouldnt have been able to physically bind it in one book. He was also forced to spin out a feast for crows which chopped up the story somewhat. I also read he wanted to go back and change something in feast to tweak something in DoD but that he couldnt because it had already been printed. So that makes me think he will finish the series, then decide how to split it into two books. Thats probably a big part of the delay

4 hours ago, N4L said:

Its written like a history or is it written in the same style as asoiaf? I assumed the former but if not, I will be all over it

Its written like AWOIAF. Where a Maester has collected accounts to piece everything together like a history book. Starting just before the conquest and ending just after the Dance of Dragons.

The details and characters are amazing yet again. Some I had originally thought evil or sinister, ended being no different than what I figured going into the book would be "good guys".

5 hours ago, N4L said:

I actually think that he plans to finish the whole series then release both books in back to back years. I dont think he liked leaving DoD on a cliff hanger the way he did but he literally couldnt continue to add pages otherwise they wouldnt have been able to physically bind it in one book. He was also forced to spin out a feast for crows which chopped up the story somewhat. I also read he wanted to go back and change something in feast to tweak something in DoD but that he couldnt because it had already been printed. So that makes me think he will finish the series, then decide how to split it into two books. Thats probably a big part of the delay

I really hope this is the case, and it seems more and more likely the longer we go. 

7 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I read it when it first came out. I enjoyed it. A lot of the stuff was old re-writes, so nothing to write home about. The full scope of Jaehaerys' reign though was pretty damn phenomenal. 

9 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I haven't touched it because I am still waiting on WOW, really no point to this story if he won't even finish the main one.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, N4L said:

Let us pray that we get a winds of winter announcement next week. I think it is time. 

I am hoping they either announce it at the season premier, or the finale. Finale would make more sense tbh 

George released a tweet yesterday saying. "New official headshot" or something like that.

Authors do that prep work in the final stage. Which I think hes hinting as the book is done and getting ready to roll out.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

George released a tweet yesterday saying. "New official headshot" or something like that.

Authors do that prep work in the final stage. Which I think hes hinting as the book is done and getting ready to roll out.

You're right they do when it's about finished. So maybe 2021 for Martin at his usual pace?

16 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I saw that.  I don't know why I let this crap keep sucking me in with false hope.

If nothing else, I gotta know what Euron is up to in the Redwyne Strait, dammit.  Just give me that sample chapter, George!

10 hours ago, Daniel said:

I saw that.  I don't know why I let this crap keep sucking me in with false hope.

If nothing else, I gotta know what Euron is up to in the Redwyne Strait, dammit.  Just give me that sample chapter, George!

Sadly, it can be a recurring theme in this genre. Patrick Rothfuss has basically shut down in writing the Kingkiller Chronicle, with now 8 years between book 2 and the final book in the trilogy. 

Scott Lynch hasn't really done a ton better, with 6 years between books 2 and 3 and now 5 years between 3 and 4. One of the reasons I really enjoy John Gwynne. His books aren't as detailed or anything as some of those guys, and there's not as much bubbling under the surface, but his books are usually a pretty damn good thrill ride and he gets them out about every 18 months or so without fail. 

• Like 1