oldie's full 7 rounder

oldman9er

__________________________________________________________________________________

redskins_background.jpg

13. The Washington Redskins select : 

Redskins_logoslice.jpg  Vita Vea, DL, Washington     Washington_logo.gif 

44. The Washington Redskins select : 

Redskins_logoslice.jpg  Frank Ragnow, IOL, Arkansas    Arkansas_logo.gif

109. The Washington Redskins select : 

Redskins_logoslice.jpg   Nyheim Hines, RB, N.C. State NCState_logo.gif

142. The Washington Redskins select : 

Redskins_logoslice.jpg  DeShon Elliott, DB, Texas   Texas_logo.gif

163. The Washington Redskins select : 

Redskins_logoslice.jpg Andrew Vollert, TE, Weber State   weber_st_3.jpg

205. The Washington Redskins select : 

Redskins_logoslice.jpg Justin Lawler, EDGE, Southern Methodist  SMU_logo.gif

231. The Washington Redskins select : 

Redskins_logoslice.jpg Jonah Trinnaman, WR, Brigham Young   BYU_logo.gif

241. The Washington Redskins select : 

Redskins_logoslice.jpg  Beau Nunn, IOL, Appalachian State AppalachianState_logo.gif

I saw Mark Walton went a few spots after Hines. Rather Walton  he’s a strong runner for his size, could even stand to add 10-15 pounds and the kid can make people miss. Injury cost him a couple rounds he’ll have something to prove too

12 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

I saw Mark Walton went a few spots after Hines. Rather Walton  he’s a strong runner for his size, could even stand to add 10-15 pounds and the kid can make people miss. Injury cost him a couple rounds he’ll have something to prove too

Would be almost equally happy with Walton, tbh. 

12 hours ago, taylor made said:

Nice draft - nice to see no unrealistic trades. Vea/Ragnow great players. Elliot great value. I don't see where Hines fits into the roster though.

This was my thinking that I just posted in the Mock Draft subforum here.

I'm apparently out of "likes" for the day. :( 

Hines is exactly that... another Chris Thompson. Probably a more dangerous CT. I'd think that adding him would make the RBBC very useful. I don't see Gruden employing a bell-cow mentality to the run game, right?

Hines would play all over the field and cause nightmarish mismatches (think: Tyreek Hill before he got some fine tuning as WR). 

The injuries piled up greatly for the Skins, as you well know. Losing CT to injury really took away a home-run element from the running game. Adding HInes makes sure that that doesn't happen again. Plus, CT will cost 4 mil against the cap in 2019. Adding Hines will effectively let Washington wave g'bye to CT and pocket 3 mil in cap space. 

Am I winning you over yet????  Let's get you in this car today!

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Would be almost equally happy with Walton, tbh. 

This was my thinking that I just posted in the Mock Draft subforum here.

I'm apparently out of "likes" for the day. :( 

Hines is exactly that... another Chris Thompson. Probably a more dangerous CT. I'd think that adding him would make the RBBC very useful. I don't see Gruden employing a bell-cow mentality to the run game, right?

Hines would play all over the field and cause nightmarish mismatches (think: Tyreek Hill before he got some fine tuning as WR). 

The injuries piled up greatly for the Skins, as you well know. Losing CT to injury really took away a home-run element from the running game. Adding HInes makes sure that that doesn't happen again. Plus, CT will cost 4 mil against the cap in 2019. Adding Hines will effectively let Washington wave g'bye to CT and pocket 3 mil in cap space. 

Am I winning you over yet????  Let's get you in this car today!

giphy.gif

Gruden hasn’t really had the bellcow no, but he’s looking for a 1st down back I think.  He wants a run first back that can get 4 yards up the middle.  We tried that with Matt Jones and it didn’t work.  Perine was meh, but he’s young.  

Honestly everyone wants us to draft a RB high but ignores some pretty important facts:

1.  Before Chris Thompson got hurt last year he was a dominant back.

2.  We just used a 4th rd pick on Perine last year, we’re giving up on him too already?

3.  We don’t have a starting LG on the roster.  

4.  Our TEs suck at run blocking.

#3 & 4 can kill any run game regardless of who we’re giving the ball to.

On 4/21/2018 at 7:07 PM, MKnight82 said:

Gruden hasn’t really had the bellcow no, but he’s looking for a 1st down back I think.  He wants a run first back that can get 4 yards up the middle.  We tried that with Matt Jones and it didn’t work.  Perine was meh, but he’s young.  

Honestly everyone wants us to draft a RB high but ignores some pretty important facts:

1.  Before Chris Thompson got hurt last year he was a dominant back.

2.  We just used a 4th rd pick on Perine last year, we’re giving up on him too already?

I hear this. Sounds like the injuries alone could have made it tough to gauge the effectiveness of those that could still play. 

Perine would still be the 5 carries per game, short yardage/goal-line hammer, in this scenario. And it's not as if any RB on the 2018 roster would be handed carries without first earning them. A healthy competition between CT, Perine, and rookie would determine who gets what. 

Adding Hines wouldn't be a complete middle finger to CT. Heck, the two could actually see time on the field together, with HInes or CT shifting out and around the formation for mismatches. If one of them gets injured, hey, you now still have a home-run type of RB in play. Could also make the decision to cut CT next year for a 3 mil cap gain more palatable. 

Vernon Davis didn't always suck at run blocking.. so whatever's going on there is fixable. I think the QB will help make the right adjustments to help in the run game.  ( not a besmirching of the former QB; I can't judge that.. just saying, it's been said that Smith has strong pre-snap intangibles that assist good run games ) 

The Chiefs had some awful LG play during their strong run games, so just having a poor LG won't be a death-knell to the run game, I wouldn't expect. By and large, it's not too late to add a respectable LG to the roster.  

On 4/21/2018 at 8:07 PM, MKnight82 said:

If only someone had been saying this all offseason! ... :S

Archived