College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

If we end up with the #1 overall pick this year, I'm taking the top rated QB. I'm done playing around. I'm done waiting around on guys to "maybe" develop while better prospects pass us by. DeShone Kizer seems like he has lots of physical talent, so I'm not writing him off just yet. But if we have the #1 pick again after this year I'm moving on, no question. Especially when the QBs are supposed to be super talented. 2nd round QB from a weak class vs 1st round QB from a strong class... It's a no-brainer.

Then I trade up with our other 1 and one of our higher 2's to get the top rated WR. WR is a major need at this point. Some of Kizer's failures are because of WRs playing poorly. I don't just want a good WR prospect, I want the best in the entire draft, especially if I'm going back to the drawing board at QB. And with the abundance of draft capital we have, that shouldn't be a problem.

With the rest of the draft, I'm taking BPA. Elevate the talent pool on this team and build something special.

Very interested to see how Darnold and Rosen play tonight. Darnold is up against an underrated Utah defense that has allowed just 4 TDs and has 9 INTs. They have quietly been producing NFL prospects for a while. The other year I remember them picking off Goff five times. A big showing from Darnold including no picks would go a long way to restoring some of the faith in him. I'm still a big fan.

Josh Rosen, I'm liking more and more each week. He's up against Arizona tonight. He's on an awful team and has to throw the ball 50 odd times each game, and score 40+ points. At least that's how it feels. That may explain some of his forced throws and bad decisions. He looks like an NFL QB to me. Great mechanics, goes through progressions and has a natural feel for the pocket. 

A quick look at the Darnold-Rosen poll in the Draft forum shows how the vast majority prefer Rosen. It says a lot about the change in perception since the Rose Bowl. I'm a big fan of both of them. Looking forward to seeing how they play tonight.

19 hours ago, MarkPrice25 said:

If we end up with the #1 overall pick this year, I'm taking the top rated QB. I'm done playing around. I'm done waiting around on guys to "maybe" develop while better prospects pass us by. DeShone Kizer seems like he has lots of physical talent, so I'm not writing him off just yet. But if we have the #1 pick again after this year I'm moving on, no question. Especially when the QBs are supposed to be super talented. 2nd round QB from a weak class vs 1st round QB from a strong class... It's a no-brainer.

Then I trade up with our other 1 and one of our higher 2's to get the top rated WR. WR is a major need at this point. Some of Kizer's failures are because of WRs playing poorly. I don't just want a good WR prospect, I want the best in the entire draft, especially if I'm going back to the drawing board at QB. And with the abundance of draft capital we have, that shouldn't be a problem.

With the rest of the draft, I'm taking BPA. Elevate the talent pool on this team and build something special.

I’d never trade up for a WR.

44 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I agree mostly with that, though a special talent is worth it. Julio Jones worked out well for Atlanta.

There are no special talents in this draft at the WR position.

33 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Darnold's melting down with two fumbles off the read option, one returned for a score and forced a ball that should've been picked. All in the first quarter. It looks like he's going through a crisis of confidence.

Darnold is not a read option QB. I am by no means standing up for Darnold as a prospect or for him to be our pick, however, I would never judge him as a prospect or whether or not to draft him based on any kind of fumble or incorrect read on read option plays. I want to see how well he climbs the pocket and stands tall to deliver the pass. How is his accuracy and touch. How well does he handle pressure and can he improvise and get results when the plan breaks down. How well can he read and manipulate a defenses coverage's. Those are some of the far more important concerns I would have in evaluating a franchise QB.

2 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

There are no special talents in this draft at the WR position.

Darnold is not a read option QB. I am by no means standing up for Darnold as a prospect or for him to be our pick, however, I would never judge him as a prospect or whether or not to draft him based on any kind of fumble or incorrect read on read option plays. I want to see how well he climbs the pocket and stands tall to deliver the pass. How is his accuracy and touch. How well does he handle pressure and can he improvise and get results when the plan breaks down. How well can he read and manipulate a defenses coverage's. Those are some of the far more important concerns I would have in evaluating a franchise QB.

I wasn't judging him. I was saying he was showing a lack of confidence and making some notable errors. He just made another with a backwards pass thrown at the back's helmet before he hardly get turned around to see it coming. Another fumble turned into a TD.

I've been a huge fan of him since last season but there's no doubting he's struggling right now. He threw a terrible ball under pressure that somehow was dropped to avoid an easy pick. Down 21-7 now, let's hope he can work some of the magic I saw so often last year.

On 10/13/2017 at 11:02 AM, brownie man said:

I think Kizer will be fine. Being able to sit will help him out

I just say look at where Jared Goff is now that he's got a season under his belt and playmakers on the outside

Mock

1A. Saquon Barkley RB Penn State 

1B. Auden Tate WR Florida State

2A. Orlando Brown OT Oklahoma 

2B. James Washington WR Oklahoma State

2C. S Armani Watts Texas AM 

To counter, I think Kizer is significantly less talented than Jared Goff, particularly when it comes to QB instincts such as pocket presence, making reads, and running an offense. Kizer in his rookie season is playing considerably worse that Goff did as well. He already has more turnovers in less games and has a much lower Y/A and completion %.

Loved how Darnold was able to adjust and ended the game with long slow drives. Sometimes just moving the chains is all you can do when receivers aren't very open. He'd be my choice for Hue, but Rosen is also very good just a better fit for WCO. Darnold has struggled but you can coach his weaknesses. Can't coach his improv though.

WR's Sutton is the only one I like. Has a good bit of everything. Savvy route running, strength, size, hands, can get jump balls, and has enough speed to separate. Not sure where his value will end up. At least top 20. 

After that OT's are above Barkley and the DB's.

Haven't really watched the rushers yet but don't think I'd take any over the above.

Archived