College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

Honestly if yall wanna draft a QB 

Baker Mayfield is the guy I'd want you take a QB in the first two rounds give me Mayfield

he's too similar to Johnny so we wouldn't take him

But if I'm going to bet on any of these QBs not named Darnold it'd be Baker hes going to be good 

Bridgewater, Cousins, Garoppolo are all free agents after this season. Davonte Adams, Jarvis Landry, Pryor, Jeffery, Allen Robinson are all UFA WR's for 2018. We have a ton of picks, and a ton of money that we can spend to make this team complete. If we don't like any of the QB's at 1, there are a few guys we can afford to pay to be our QB. 

10 hours ago, MWil23 said:

We'd better not get the 3rd best QB in the draft AGAIN this year, just like every other year since 2001, with the exception of the years that we get worse than the 3rd best QB prospect. We had better get the #1 overall BLUE CHIPPER at the QB position, and I don't care who that guy is, but we'd better draft him, period.

Buddy take a chill pill and read what I wrote. I said whichever QB you like best. Obviously you cannot guarantee you would get the one you like best if you wait around until the other 2 are off the board. Also everything I was talking about in that post was pick #1 and pick #2 QB and Barkley or Barkley #1 and QB #2 so put the knife down pick up a brown paper back and breath deeply.

I know we are bad this year after a terrible 2016 but I swear since arriving here everything I say burns a second hole in someone's *** instantly. I don't know about ya'll but I love talking sports to get away from the crap in the real world. I'd love to get heated and fight over whether or not abortion should be legal or not. I'd fight for my right to own as many guns as I desire but I am not about to angry about football. It is probably the only thing that keeps me sane.

Darnold to me is the clear cut #1 QB. Rosen is flashy at times and can make almost any throw, but he has the same problem as Kizer in that he tends to get tunnel vision and lock onto one target. Darnold has a weird throwing motion, but he throws a nice pass, he can be elusive, and the guy progresses through his targets pretty well. His negative is at times he tries to do too much. I am intrigued by Jackson, who actually also does a pretty good job at trying to read the entire field. The offense they run at Louisville though scares the heck out of me. 

Listening to Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush on Cowherd's show reinforced what I was thinking about players and their perception of the Browns. 

They were talking about Darnold and were asked if Darnold should go back to school. Leinart, replying to Cowherd (who constantly states if we have the first pick he should go back) said "I think he should go back but if it's the number one pick I know we've disagreed but it's hard to turn down even if it's Cleveland". Cheap shot number one but he's at least not saying Darnold should duck us.

But then Reggie Bush interjects with "oooooh no noooo, not Cleveland, don't do that" whilst laughing. Leinart to his credit at least says "well you might have a different opinion on that one".

I thought I'd mention this as it goes to show there's reality to the idea of the mega prospect doing what he can to avoid the Browns. There's possibly some added intrigue with the fact that Leinart is a close confidante of Darnold.

Take what you will from all of that. Darnold will ultimately choose for himself at the end of the day, but I'm quite worried that we'll have the first pick and the best QB prospect by far (IMO) will go back to school. Hopefully Leinart will be in his ear saying you can't pass on the first pick.

Josh Rosen is a good consolation, I like him. But I'm all in on Darnold.

11 hours ago, brownie man said:

Idk man 

Rosen already got Multiple picks in 4 games this year and looked really average when I watched him.

Like I said, I haven't hitched my wagon/or NOT hitched my wagon to him yet.

When watched him against Memphis he lost the game with his decision making I was really unimpressed.

You mean the game where he threw for over 450 yards and 4 TD while completing over 60% of his passes? UCLA isn't a great team.

He's going talent nice size good arm decent accuary decent presence but to say hes light years ahead of where Kizer was at ND I think its a uninformed statement 

Disagree. Rosen is a 3 year starter that plays in a Pro Style offense, unlike Kizer who played for less than 2 years in a spread system.

Kizer only threw multiple picks once last year with ND on a team thats just as bad as UCLA right now or worse

And Deshawn Watson was a turnover machine (as was Winston, Manning, Roethlisberger, and Ryan) in college that looks great this year. 

Stats arent everything I'm just saying Rosen's decision making to me proves hes not light years above Kizer he's just hyped like the rest of these QBs

We'll agree to disagree here.

Darnolds decent but not a great fit for the AFC and I think is overrated

I have to watch more of him, but there's a lot to like so far.

Rosen bad decision making overrated

Already addressed this.

Rudolph is literally 22 a year and a half older than Kizer I'm not even paying him attention in that dumb *** offense that spit out Weeden

I don't like Rudolph at all. I 100% agree with you.

Lamar Jackson too thin for this division and not accuarte

I'm not the biggest Jackson fan, but he's shown major improvement this year and is an intriguing prospect.

That Allen guy is trash hes not going to last 

Yeah, not the biggest Allen fan either.

Luke Falk is trash

I agree.

all these guys are trash too overrated they all overrated I just dont get this hype man 

The last time that there wasn't a legitimate NFL QB prospect was Jimmy Clausen's year. I don't buy this statement at all.

11 hours ago, Dogbite said:

Buddy take a chill pill and read what I wrote.

Even though I quoted you, my passion wasn't meant to be directed at you specifically. It was meant to be directed towards the Browns and what they've done for the last 15 years, which is to blatantly ignore the QB position, undervalue it, not draft clear cut great QB prospects, and to try to take shortcuts by drafting them in the late 1st when superior prospects are available (see: Quinn, Manziel, Weeded) or in the 2nd round and later. See: Frye, McCoy, McCown, Kizer, the list goes on.

I said whichever QB you like best.

I understand. So long as that guy IS the best is all I'm saying. I don't want any more of this "well we had the top 3-5 guys all graded close, so the difference was negligible so we decided to draft _________ or trade back for ____________.

Obviously you cannot guarantee you would get the one you like best if you wait around until the other 2 are off the board.

Exactly.

Also everything I was talking about in that post was pick #1 and pick #2 QB and Barkley or Barkley #1 and QB #2

I'd be ok with this, but the cost will be too steep and there's almost 0 chance that this happens.

so put the knife down pick up a brown paper back and breath deeply.

I'm perfectly calm.

I know we are bad this year

And have been bad for since 1999 with the exception of 2 years.

after a terrible 2016

And 1999, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015...pardon me for running out of patience.

but I swear since arriving here everything I say burns a second hole in someone's *** instantly.

Like I said, none of this is geared towards you and all of it is geared towards this organization.

I don't know about ya'll but I love talking sports to get away from the crap in the real world.

100% agreed. Which is why watching a team that's gone 4-43 over the past 47 games is unacceptable and frustrating. We're talking about paid professionals playing in a tax payer funded stadium.

1 hour ago, BrownLeader said:

That's not what scouts are saying. He's being criticized for being too much of a one read guy right now.

I read that. That's really not true IMO. I've watched most of his games last season and this (we get most USC games late here) and he goes through progressions well. I've seen him find his 3rd option many times for a big play. 

Why isn't anyone talking about Mason Rudolph? 6'5 230 LBS 2368 Yards passing 19 TD and 4 INTs. He is playing Texas Saturday. I'm going to watch and see if he is doing anything wrong. So far I've seen Rosen play bad and Darnold play bad vs a ranked team. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

3 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Why isn't anyone talking about Mason Rudolph? 6'5 230 LBS 2368 Yards passing 19 TD and 4 INTs. He is playing Texas Saturday. I'm going to watch and see if he is doing anything wrong. So far I've seen Rosen play bad and Darnold play bad vs a ranked team. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

He's Brandon Weeden 2.0

10 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Only game I've watched of him is the TCU loss. He didn't look good in that. It seems there's a bit of a debate over whether it's his talent or the system.

13 hours ago, brownie man said:

If I'm going to bet on any of these QBs not named Darnold it'd be Baker hes going to be good 

I don't hate Mayfield, but he's not my pick right now. That would be Lamar Jackson. Dude's arm is legit, athleticism is intense, great mobility in and out of the pocket, and he's made some seriously laser accuracy throws this year. Running QB label will slow his hype down, but I think he could be good. I'd probably go Rosen - Darnold - Jackson as a tightly packed top three right now with Mayfield in the second tier. I could change my mind as I see/read more, but that's where I'd lean right now.

And Rudolph isn't going to be good. The Weeden comp might seem lazy since it's OK State, but it's right now. Statue in the pocket whose arm looks better than it is because of the system. If you watch his deep balls, a lot of them stay up foreeeeeeever and the WR's adjust/box out DBs, those are picks in the NFL.

6 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Name me some successful big 12 QBs. You have to be a complete scrub to not produce against those defenses.

I can’t do Mason Rudolph. Even if it’s coincidence, we’ve drafted two lousy UND QBs high the past ten years and another 1st rounder from OK ST that was terrible. Haven’t wanted any of these past kids. No logical reason here, but I have an instant pessimism towards Rudolph in Cleveland. 

I don’t love what I’ve seen in the ‘top’ QB prospects this year for the 2018 draft. If I had to pick one, I still go with Darnold though. He wouldn’t be the first good QB prospect with turnover issues coming out. Matt Ryan and Deshaun Watson instantly come to mind.

Archived