College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

Darnold needs another year. I don't think Rosen would survive AFCN. This is a division focused mainly on defense, and therefore being able to run the ball and throw it downfield. 

Maybe a guy like Rudolph or Faulk.

If it's Kizer: Play elite defense, in which case we'll need some CBs, or put enough playmakers around him that it's hard to game plan against us.

Even if the QB can't take full advantage of good targets the threat alone changes the opposing game plan. Barkley and a WR would of course be ideal and very possible. A team can't take away both a stud RB and 2 WR's. 

Not to mention Coleman is injury prone. Absolutely have to have someone else that can back defenses off.

To me, Rosen compares to Eli. I think he's pretty safe and would be the best QB we've had since the return. But he'd also bring the streaky play and the 'bad Eli'.

Darnold is all over the map in terms of comparisons and projections; overhyped or overscrutinised etc. He needs to get out of school and away from Clay Helton. The dude is a terrible coach. Get him with a proper NFL coaching staff and a fresh offensive wizard that can harness the massive potential.

Mayfield... oh boy this is a hard one. Some of the comparisons are obvious and are either awesome or terrible. I like him.

Basically where I'm at right now is that I'm hoping Kizer will play up toward the end of the season and we only have to draft somebody if we love them and the value at the pick (so like, we could trade down from 1-2 to 3-5 and pick up more ammo). If not, here's who I would and wouldn't be happy with (not knowing where any of them will get picked) of the guys I know enough about to have a decently informed idea.

Happy - Rosen, Darnold, Lamar Jackson

Unhappy - Allen, Faulk, Rudolph (puke)

Kinda upset but kinda excited - Mayfield

First and foremost I want to say that I do think that Barkley is a talented RB but yesterdays game was a bit deceiving in regards to his rushing in my opinion. He did rush for 108 yards on 15 carries which comes out to 7.2 YPC wich is great for any RB but the majority of his yardage came from his big 69 yard run.  If you take that one run away he only rushed for 39 yards with a 2.7 YPC which is not that great so I hope people aren't looking at the box score thinking he had an amazing game rushing.  On the other hand, I really did like Barkleys production in the passing game.  He doesn't look lost split out in the slot and his reps in the passing game in college makes him an everydown back in the NFL.  That's just my observation from the game last night.

Peace!!!

2 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

First and foremost I want to say that I do think that Barkley is a talented RB but yesterdays game was a bit deceiving in regards to his rushing in my opinion. He did rush for 108 yards on 15 carries which comes out to 7.2 YPC wich is great for any RB but the majority of his yardage came from his big 69 yard run.  If you take that one run away he only rushed for 39 yards with a 2.7 YPC which is not that great so I hope people aren't looking at the box score thinking he had an amazing game rushing.  On the other hand, I really did like Barkleys production in the passing game.  He doesn't look lost split out in the slot and his reps in the passing game in college makes him an everydown back in the NFL.  That's just my observation from the game last night.

Peace!!!

That kind of rushing game has been the case with him for the last few weeks. On the one hand, it could be concerning to some, but on the other it could be evidence that he breaks a big run/s or makes a big play in every game.

37 minutes ago, cattleman78 said:

No doubt q.b. number one need. I like Rosen the best but season has a way to go.

I think Rosen is the best. He has the most experience and most game tape and he still is looked at and plays at a high level. He isnt a guy who got hyped up after a season and then been a done or road the hype to purely the draft. 

At some point I do see RB getting addressed. Crow is a FA, is hot garbage, and is likely to walk. 

With that said, at #1, whomever is making our pick is likely to try for QB1 unless we acquire a starting option like Jimmy or Cousins, which I’m not necessarily betting on. I doubt Hue or the front office (if they’re even back) even see Kizer as a realistic option for next year, with jobs on the line. He’s shown no improvements and all of same mistakes continue to pop up. No chance unless he becomes a different person the 2nd half of the year. 

At pick 1, we try for QB1, and we go WR, RB, OT, CB, in whatever order, with our other 1/2 picks. 

Just now, candyman93 said:

Also, I’m willing to pass on drafting defense in the draft. That unit can look at least competent. I’m drafting heavy on offense.

I wouldnt mind using all the picks in the 1st and 2nd on offense. IMO the defense needs vets not more rookies. 

24 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Were you trying to post a different game....?

No!

I picked the Stanford game because

Decent team some potential pro players

He put up alot of stats

He had to try and come from behind

I'm not buying the hype at all 

The only thing that helps him is he "looks the part" he can execute an offense I'll give you that if everything is happening perfectly around him 

But he doesn't have  top-level arm strength, isnt very athletic, is pretty accurate not great, and not mobile

Basically he can complete the pass if the receiver is open oh wow 

I'd rather take all the top 4 QBs from last year over him 

I'm not drafting this guy over Saquon Barkley just because he plays QB 

Actually! I just realized who he reminds me of! Jimmy Clausen! Thats who Rosen plays like. I'll pass give me Baker later

edit actually I dont even think hes Clausen good 

Need some depth in the DB group in the least. Gotta give cred to Mike Jordan and BBC for stepping up though. Greg gets the best out of his players. Kirksey with a FF and saving a TD!

It will depend on the vision of whoever runs the show. I'm not sure what that vision is because mainly they've just been plugging holes to balance the team out. Got talented potential and some role players. 

QB, RB, WR, #1CB, possibly LT. Still a lot of needs. All things considered QB is #1, RB and WR can be solved early round 2. A low end #1CB or LT is pretty much always a round 1 player.

Another thought I've had is the investment on the interior OL and Shon Coleman. You look at the Steelers and Raiders and they sacrifice their OT's to have a solid interior. This helps the run game and they minimize the impact of the OT's by taking shorter drops which tightens the OL gaps and prevents the edges from making inside moves. Then you see our QBs drop way back every play and it creates all kinds of opportunities to get pressure right in his face. Maybe our FO will go for something similar, hoping Shon can be the OT and a developmental player the RT.

Considering that with an upgrade to Crow available round 2 and Duke on the roster for me that leaves QB, WR, CB. CB is ok and Wilson on the mend.

Do you want to reach for a QB or WR and pass on a star like Barkley, a LT, or trade down opportunity?

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Also, I’m willing to pass on drafting defense in the draft. That unit can look at least competent. I’m drafting heavy on offense.

That's exactly what I have been saying all along. Fix one side of the ball at a time. The 2018 draft should be committed to offense and then come back in 2019 looking for defense.

We have one solid thing going for us, our SOS is better than SanFran's, which would mean we would get the #1 overall pick if we tie them for worst record!!!!

Archived