College Football / NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

2 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Where are they? I don't really see any of those guys as viable options at this point. Also the league somewhat figured out Vick, but Vick did learn how to play from the pocket and torched the league from the pocket, plus even before that he took advantages to teams trying to spy him with the deep ball. Trust me, defensive coordinators would much rather have a statue in the pocket because they can zone blitz and keep safetys back, defensive coordinators hate to play a guy where you can get burnt deep or by the QB run. Also drives being extended turn into a 20 yard gain, and also lets not forget about the league's hyper sensitivity to hits on QBs as well.

I don't mean a statue, hell I love a mobile QB as long as that mobility is being used to extend plays and pick up first downs. Guys like Luck, Rodgers, Ben, etc, are examples of what I mean.

I guess as far as the draft, Lamar Jackson would be a distant 3rd right now to Rosen and Darnold, and all of them a second option to Cousins.

31 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don't mean a statue, hell I love a mobile QB as long as that mobility is being used to extend plays and pick up first downs. Guys like Luck, Rodgers, Ben, etc, are examples of what I mean.

I guess as far as the draft, Lamar Jackson would be a distant 3rd right now to Rosen and Darnold, and all of them a second option to Cousins.

I can agree with that, but those guys haven't been good at all this year. I was expecting them to continue their progression and it hasn't happened.

6 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I can agree with that, but those guys haven't been good at all this year. I was expecting them to continue their progression and it hasn't happened.

Progression isn't always linear, one step back and two forward sorta thing.

I think both of those guys have the abilty to be quality nfl starters though.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Progression isn't always linear, one step back and two forward sorta thing.

I think both of those guys have the abilty to be quality nfl starters though.

If that's the case and we are going off of projection, there is no question who we take then. One of those two guys

1 minute ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Ridley from Bama, Sutton from SMU (My pick) and St Brown from ND are the top ones. 

Cortland Sutton looks like a man playing with boys if you ask me. Tall, has size and is fast. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

That's not all, you forgot James Washington, Simmie Cobb, the kid from Washington.

There's a bunch, no AJ Green or Megatron it seems though.

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That's not all, you forgot James Washington, Simmie Cobb, the kid from Washington.

There's a bunch, no AJ Green or Megatron it seems though.

I was going with the 3 I would take with Houston's pick (maybe with a trade back?), have some size to them (over 200) and are over 6 foot tall.  They all ran a 4.5.   I kept Ridley because he is from Bama. I forgot about Cobb though. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

I was watching an Aaron Rodgers interview where he talks about how Jon Gruden had told him he was going to draft him. In the end they went with Cadillac Williams and Gruden calls it one of the biggest regrets of his life.

It got me thinking about the Saquon Barkley vs the QBs discussion. I'll start by saying I'm not comparing any of the QBs to Aaron Rodgers. Just the positions. But Rodgers at Cal wasn't Rodgers of now. Every QB is a projection. But I've noticed it's easier for RBs to stand out as special in college and to envision the seamless transition. Maybe that's why so many coaches have made a regrettable decision of taking a "can't miss" back over a risky "boom-or-bust" QB that has been picked apart for flaws.

I thought I'd take a deeper look at it, year by year since the return and apply it to the Browns. Using the benefit of hindsight, I took the best first round QB in each draft and the best first round RB in each draft. Knowing how it played out, who would I rather the Browns had? We all know there are franchise defining QBs and RBs found throughout later rounds but I'm keeping it to the first round only as it assumes this is the Browns with the first overall pick in each year, like we will probably have this year. And we also know it's not easy to just pick up Tom Brady or Russell Wilson each year. I'm also assuming competent scouting ability to avoid the Tim Couch and Trent Richardson's, who were the first picked at their position. I'm not interested in that. I'm interested in the best at each position to come out of each draft. And then comparing them.

Some of the choices between backs were difficult so I gave the edge to the player that had most of his success with one team rather than journeyman success. There are probably a couple bests that you disagree on, e.g. Winston or Mariota. But the point applies. *Included because he was 32nd pick even though technically second round.

1999: Donovan McNabb or Edgerrin James

2000: Chad Pennington or Shaun Alexander.

2001: Drew Brees* or LaDainian Tomlinson.

2002: David Carr or TJ Duckett. BUST.

2003: Carson Palmer or Larry Johnson. 

2004: Ben Roethlisberger or Steven Jackson.

2005: Aaron Rodgers or Ronnie Brown.

2006: Jay Cutler or DeAngelo Williams.

2007: Brady Quinn or Adrian Peterson.

2008: Matt Ryan or Chris Johnson.

2009: Matt Stafford or Knowshon Moreno.

2010: Sam Bradford or Ryan Mathews.

2011: Cam Newton or Mark Ingram.

2012: Andrew Luck or Doug Martin.

2013: EJ Manuel or Nobody. BUST.

2014: Blake Bortles or Nobody. BUST.

2015: Marcus Mariota or Todd Gurley.

2016: Carson Wentz or Ezekiel Elliott.

2017: Deshaun Watson or Leonard Fournette.

19 years. 14 times the QB was the better pick. 2 times the RB was the better pick. 3 times there was absolutely no first round QB or RB who crafted a substantial career from the first round. 

Only Adrian Peterson comes out of his class as clearly more valuable to the Browns than a corresponding QB since the return. You could probably even make an argument that Chad Pennington would've been a better pick for the Browns than Shaun Alexander. Even the great LaDainian Tomlinson, hall of fame record breaking RB, would be picked 0 times out of 100 against Drew Brees, with hindsight.

Every player deserves to be treated on his own merit, of course. But what this tells me is pretty evident...

Unless you strongly believe that this QB class is going to go down as one of the worst since 1999, you take a QB. One of them is very likely going to be far more valuable to the Browns than Saquon when it's all said and done. And that includes a scenario where Saquon ends up being very good in his own right.

Whether this incompetent team can pick the right QB is its own question. But if you followed that legitimate doubt forever, we'd never get a QB. Someone in the first round of this upcoming class is likely going to be a much more important NFL player than Saquon Barkley, and this team, going nowhere fast, needs to figure out who they believe it is and TAKE HIM.

I've now watched every snap from Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold this season

The Darnold criticism is much ado about nothing...He throws picks like Jameis in college sometimes, but what he does well every single game no one in CFB is even close to his ability...and he's still a superior talent to Trubisky, Deshaun Watson, Mahomes, and Carson Wentz.

When it comes to Rosen. He is an amazing over the middle of the field thrower..really special...but spreading out and open middle of the field for crossers doesn't exists like that in the NFL....He can only operate in shotgun due to limited athleticism and even worse foot speed.

His blitz avoidance and pocket movement skills are the worst I've seen since Eli Manning...that's not a winning formula in todays brand of football especially if one puts it all on the QBs back to make plays.

I regret to inform everyone that he is not the guy....I truly wish he was.

He has no talent around him, but his ability to throw outside of the hashes deep or otherwise is subpar.

If I have to push all my chips in on a QB at this point (assuming Darnold returns to USC), I'm going all in on Lamar Jackson who has taken a giant leap in footwork and pass sets; however, he still has lightyears to go but if his improvement from last year to this year in terms of passing posture and progression reading continues over the next 3 years....he's going to win a lot of games in the NFL. He will never be a top 5 QB, but he certainly can be a top 12 QB which is better than anything we've ever had and his running ability can break defenses will.

Mason Rudolph is garbage and a fabrication.

Luke Falk is still the sleeper.

A first round of Lamar Jackson and James Washington, or Lamar Jackson and Saquon Barkley is what I'm all in for.

I'd rather wait on Kizer's development than take Rosen.

Preferably it would be Darnold and James Washington or in a real dream scenario Deshone Kizer balls out and we get Barkley and Washington.

I actually agree with you MC, Jackson with the right coaching will rip the league up.Plus I predict he's going to rise with a strong end to the season, and post season and combine. I still like Darnold, but the idea of Kizer being the guy moving forward is the best case scenario for us and getting Barkley and Ridley.

Archived