Brandon Brooks Restructures; Creates $6.37 mil in space

Kiltman

Annnnd?

Howie is converting 8+M of his 11+M salary this year to 2 large bonuses. 1 now and 1 in September. His amount of money doesn't change. It's just distributed differently. 

The notion that Brandon did the restructure solely for himself is silly. All he "gains" out of the deal is that he gets this years money upfront. Whether or not that's beneficial is a personal preference. Either way, it's money that he was getting anyway barring any ridiculous circumstance. 

14 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Annnnd?

Howie is converting 8+M of his 11+M salary this year to 2 large bonuses. 1 now and 1 in September. His amount of money doesn't change. It's just distributed differently. 

The notion that Brandon did the restructure solely for himself is silly. All he "gains" out of the deal is that he gets this years money upfront. Whether or not that's beneficial is a personal preference. Either way, it's money that he was getting anyway barring any ridiculous circumstance. 

yYWN7_s-200x150.gif

You have to be just messing with me at this point. There is no way you can't see getting a big *** guaranteed check right now instead of waiting to maybe get a check next year is not "personal preference".

The point you're missing is that @Jroc04 (and I) are saying both can be true at the same time. It's both a self-serving move AND a nice gesture. You can do both. It doesn't have to be one or the other. Just because you do something self-serving, that doesn't mean that the gesture doesn't exist. Nobody is denying that the move is self-serving.

You start a restaurant to make money, a purely self-serving intent.
As a result you create paying jobs and feed people.

You restructure your contract to get more guaranteed money sooner.
As a result your franchise has more cap space to pay other players.

YOUR ARGUMENT IS THAT IF THE FIRST SENTENCES IN THOSE EXAMPLES ABOVE ARE TRUE, THEN YOU NEVER GET TO THE SECOND SENTENCE. We're saying that both sentences exist and are true. 

Agreed @Phire

I also don't want to pretend I know the guys financial situation. I'm sure he isn't hurting. But maybe he really needed some liquid money. I dunno. Maybe he has bad spending habits and weekly checks save him from depleting his funds for the year. Sports players aren't the best with finances. Personally, I wouldn't want my salary paid fully at the beginning of each year. But that's me. But, as Phire mentions, the notion as that it is just a self serving act is short sighted. It can be mutually beneficial to both and even terciary parties involved. As it is here. No one is saying give the guy a humanitarian award. But he should be recognized for doing something that also benefits the team, as well as a teammate directly. 

1 minute ago, Jroc04 said:

Agreed @Phire

I also don't want to pretend I know the guys financial situation. I'm sure he isn't hurting. But maybe he really needed some liquid money. I dunno. Maybe he has bad spending habits and weekly checks save him from depleting his funds for the year. Sports players aren't the best with finances. Personally, I wouldn't want my salary paid fully at the beginning of each year. But that's me. But, as Phire mentions, the notion as that it is just a self serving act is short sighted. It can be mutually beneficial to both and even terciary parties involved. As it is here. No one is saying give the guy a humanitarian award. But he should be recognized for doing something that also benefits the team, as well as a teammate directly. 

We've spent entirely too much time arguing the tiny details of a restructured contract. I think I need a hobby. Perhaps I'll do cross-stitch 

IMG_0026_large.JPG?v=1492024549

Also....is anyone else concerned about all these restructures?

I know its all rainbows and unicorns right now because we're Super Bowl champs and reaping lower cap hits this year but in the long term all of these restructures are creating a "guaranteed money" timebomb that will blow up on the Eagles in a few years......right around the time we need to resign Ginger Jesus.

Archived