MMA Thread

steelcurtain29

16 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I'd love to see him fight a striker with decent take down defenses instead of chumps.

Same but Belator is learning the hardway with Pico that if you give your star prospect tough fights early on it can completely derail their hype. Danis has only had 1 fight in his career, he has never even competed in an ameatur fight. Give a couple more cans and let him get used to fighting in the cage, build up his star power, and instill a lot of confidence into him. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Same but Belator is learning the hardway with Pico that if you give your star prospect tough fights early on it can completely derail their hype. Danis has only had 1 fight in his career, he has never even competed in an ameatur fight. Give a couple more cans and let him get used to fighting in the cage, build up his star power, and instill a lot of confidence into him. 

no problem with Danis fighting cans right now. The level of guys he's fighting isn't bad for someone in their first two pro fights. I mean they're cans, but you should be fighting cans at that point in your career.

10 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

no problem with Danis fighting cans right now. The level of guys he's fighting isn't bad for someone in their first two pro fights. I mean they're cans, but you should be fighting cans at that point in your career.

Exactly, they are cans in a decent promotion as opposed to some awful one

3 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

That's true, but how many guys in Danis' situation are extremely established in an aspect of MMA (BJJ, Boxing, Wrestling, etc.). Danis is VERY well known in the BBJ world. 

Ben Askren was VERY well known in the wrestling world before he started MMA.

Askren's first two pro MMA fights:

Pretty much the same as Danis here. Harder for Danis in fact, because he's doing it on a big stage.

Also, a couple other fighters who started MMA from the highest level in another combat sport...

Daniel Cormier's first two pro fights:

Garry Tonon's first three pro fights:

Worth noting that both Askren and Cormier took a step up in competition for their third pro fight, so we'll see if the same thing happens with Danis.

But Garry Tonon is a good comparison for Danis. Both elite in the BJJ world, both still extremely young, so no need to rush things. Tonon just had his 5th pro fight, and it was the first time he fought someone with a bit of talent/momentum.

Henry Cejudo's first four pro MMA fights:

6 hours ago, Buckrock101 said:

Henry Cejudo's first four pro MMA fights:

How can you be 1-39 and still be given fights?

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

How can you be 1-39 and still be given fights?

I dunno, I guess regional promotions always need people to fill out fights.

But I've been fascinated with this guy all day, since finding out about him. I can't tell you how bada ss it is to fight so often, lose every time, and keep going.

Lol, this is the last fight card Marti fought on: https://www.sherdog.com/events/California-Cage-Wars-9-End-of-the-Year-Master-Prestige-Edition-71277

The main event was Chase Gibson (7-3) vs Chris Chavez (0-20!!!)

Another to add to the legend list: https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Chris-Chavez-164803

I want to see Chavez vs Marti so bad. It's not the superfight we need right now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JonStark said:

Weird that Carmouche got the title fight while already having a fight booked. Any idea who Modafferi gets now? 

I found out a coworker trains with her so I'm interested to see where she goes from here. 

A title eliminator against Chookagian seems like it would make a lot of sense

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 5:55 PM, BullsandBroncos said:

That's true, but how many guys in Danis' situation are extremely established in an aspect of MMA (BJJ, Boxing, Wrestling, etc.). Danis is VERY well known in the BBJ world. 

Ben Askren was VERY well known in the wrestling world before he started MMA.

And 18 months after his debut, he was the Bellator Welterweight champion. Funky af.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:28 AM, Buckrock101 said:

I dunno, I guess regional promotions always need people to fill out fights.

But I've been fascinated with this guy all day, since finding out about him. I can't tell you how bada ss it is to fight so often, lose every time, and keep going.

Imagine being that Cody Pike guy that lost to Marti lol