BroncosFan2010 Final Mock Draft

BroncosFan2010

Stole the trade up w/ SF from Germ-X recent mock. R1 looks similar to his as well, but I was working on it before he posted so great minds think alike I suppose.

General theme of this mock is that we need help top-to-bottom. This team isn't just devoid of elite talent, its devoid of depth and ordinary talent. So we make some moves to replenish our cupboards.

*** Denver trades #5 to Buffalo for #12, #22 and #65 ***

*** Denver trades #71 and #106 to San Francisco for #59 ***

1.12 Vita Vea DL – Washington

WHY? After electing to take the value and trade down, Denver finds they still able to select an elite prospect. I personally think Vea is as talented a DL prospect as Quenton Nelson is at OG. He is a proportional, monster of a man with unbelievable athletic measurable for his size. He strikes me as the best 34NT prospect since Ngata, possession elite strength and surprising burst. Once he attunes his handwork when attacking the QB, he will produce pressures that aren’t normally seen at NT. He can also play strong side 34DE, which he may see a good deal of as a rookie since Peko is likely to remain the starter at nose.  

1.22 Leighton Vander Esch LB – Boise State

WHY? I generally shy away from players with single years of production but LVH in the 20-30 range is just too talented to pass up. His blend of instinct, movement and size generates many well deserved comparisons to Urlacher or, my favorite, Carlos Dansby. He has the entire package. Even if the coaching staff sticks with the veteran Todd Davis as our starter, LVH can get reps as a pass rusher, rotational ILB and come cover TE’s. He is going to be an elite 3 down ILB sooner than later.

2.40 Carlton Davis CB – Auburn

WHY? Few would expect three consecutive defensive picks but if the value is there, you stick to the BPA. Here we take a CB that fits our scouting prototype perfectly. Carlton is a tall, lanky, extremely tough and competitive CB who projects extremely well as an outside bump/run CB. He may be relegated to ST and #4CB as a rookie but he is a player that will pay off in the long run and by his sophomore year team with CH3 and Roby to recreate the previous strength of our defense, three excellent CB’s.

2.59 Austin Corbett OL – Nevada

WHY? Corbett is a name that is rising the draft charts, and for good reason. He has many similarities to Joel Bitonio, another OT from Nevada that has developed into an elite OG. What is especially intriguing about Corbett is that he has legitimate potential at OT, but like Joel can almost certainly slide inside and flourish. Strong as an ox with a mean streak and excellent durability, he can be a versatile backup OL all along the line as a rookie. Next offseason we have huge question marks along the OL (Is Bolles a RT? Does Veldheer retire? Does Leary’s knee hold up and is he worth the $$$? Do we pay Paradis w/ his hip issues and drop in play? Does McGovern develop?) and having a versatile OL waiting in the wings to replace whoever is booted will be huge.

3.65 Rashaad Penny RB – San Diego State

WHY? We have been linked to him and I truly hope its not a smokescreen. I can see him going within the top 40-50 picks when all is said and done but lets assume he is here at 3.65 for now. He is a legitimate 3 down RB who can run inside/outside and catch. Enough burst to break big runs but not relegated to homerun hitting or no yards gained, he is a guy that can get the 3-5 yard gains as well. Love his maturity and overall fit as a immediate starter.

3.99 Michael Gallup WR – Colorado State

WHY? This team has lacked a decent WR3 for years now and finally they get one, a hometown boy to boot. Gallup is a versatile talent with the technique/route running skills to immediately play in the slot but with the athleticism and game breaking abilities to play outside too. Mature player who can start as our WR3 right off the bat, and with potential to replace DT/Manny in a season.

4.113 Alex Cappa OL – Humboldt State

WHY? Again, our OL is pretty patchwork right now and we need more long term solutions. Cappa is a potential based pick but he has the grit, toughness and power that we seem to be looking for in this new scheme. He projects very well as a future starting RT and could replace Veldheer in a season as he likely reitres. Love his mean streak and brute strength.

5.149 Hercules Mata’afa EDGE – Washington State

WHY? Motor of a gladiator but size of a pixie, this kid is a great story. Tore it up in college rushing from the inside but has to move to EDGE in this league. He may make it on hustle and technique (And his measurable were not that terrible either) but in the meantime he projects as a great ST player with an outside shot to become our next do-it-all backup EDGE (If we lose Shaq next offseason). Great addition to the locker room as well.

5.160 Adam Breneman TE – Massachusetts

WHY? Breneman has fallen through the cracks after a meh’ combine but still possesses enough pass catching skills to intrigue IMO. Knee injuries are scary but he has a great hands and a natural ability to find soft spots in zone coverage. Gamble here but worth it and nice upside as a pass-catching #2TE IMO.

QB – Case Keenum / Chad Kelly / Paxton Lynch

RB – Rashaad Penny / Devontae Booker / De’Angelo Henderson

FB – Andy Janovich

WR1 – Deymarius Thomas / Jordan Taylor

WR2 – Emmanuel Sanders / Carlos Henderson

WR3 – Michael Gallup / Isaiah McKEnzie

TE – Jake Butt / Jeff Heuerman / Adam Breneman

LT – Garett Bolles / Alex Cappa

LG – Ronald Leary / Austin Corbett / Max Garcia

OC – Matt Paradis / Connor McGovern

RG – Connor McGovern / Austin Corbett

RT – Jared Veldheer / Menelik Watson

DE – Derek Wolfe / DeMarcus Walker

NT – Domata Peko / Vita Via

DE – Adam Gotsis / Shelby Harris / Clinton McDonald

EDGE – Shane Ray / Shaq Barrett

ILB – Brandon Marshall / Zaire Anderson

ILB – Todd Davis / Leighton Vander Esch

EDGE – Von Miller / Hercules Mata’afa

CB1 – Chris Harris Jr. / Brendan Langley

CB2 – Bradley Roby

CB3 – Carlton Davis vs Tramaine Brock

SS – Justin Simmons / Su’a Cravens

FS – Darian Stewart / Jamal Carter

NLB – William Parks / Su’a Cravens

As much as I think we need to address O, that's well done.   

Again, I will be sad if we pass on Rosen at 1.5 (or god forbid, Darnold, if reports that he's not going 1.1 actually happen - I will only believe that when it happens), but if we don't go there, this is a really good result.    Much prefer the value with our RB/WR picks. 

Again, I will be sad if we pass on Rosen at 1.5 (or god forbid, Darnold, if reports that he's not going 1.1 actually happen - I will only believe that when it happens), but if we don't go there, this is a really good result.    Much prefer the value with our RB/WR picks. 

Ya, I think we need more top tier talent offensively. But the value in this draft just isn't there in the first 50 picks IMO. For example, I think Carlton Davis has a better chance at becoming an elite CB than any OL projected within the top 50 picks, outside Nelson, has a chance to become an elite lineman.

The sweet spot for RB and WR talent is going to be R3 IMO.

19 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Ya, I think we need more top tier talent offensively. But the value in this draft just isn't there in the first 50 picks IMO. For example, I think Carlton Davis has a better chance at becoming an elite CB than any OL projected within the top 50 picks, outside Nelson, has a chance to become an elite lineman.

The sweet spot for RB and WR talent is going to be R3 IMO.

I think Wynn might.

I think Wynn might.

I am not sure Wynn will ever be enough of a 'people mover' in the run game to be considered elite. Great pass protector, very good technique in pass and run blocking, but just not enough physical strength to pancake people upon initial contact to become elite overall. I would love Wynn, and wouldn't hate him at 1.22, much less 2.40, but he is always going to be limited winning 1-v-1 battles in the run game IMO. He wont put many guys on roller skates.

5 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I am not sure Wynn will ever be enough of a 'people mover' in the run game to be considered elite. Great pass protector, very good technique in pass and run blocking, but just not enough physical strength to pancake people upon initial contact to become elite overall. I would love Wynn, and wouldn't hate him at 1.22, much less 2.40, but he is always going to be limited winning 1-v-1 battles in the run game IMO. He wont put many guys on roller skates.

I think on the inside he can be. He's optimum size for an OG and is really quick off the snap.

With how much of a mess our offense has been in recent years I'd be highly surprised if Elway goes defense on the first three picks.

I agree, and I fully expect Elway to reach for offensive need. But the best route would be to target BPA at positions of need. NT will be a need sooner than later, Peko is due to retire. ILB is a need immediately, Todd Davis sucks and our depth is trash. CB is a need with Brock a stopgap. 

I think we can secure elite upside defensive talent in the top 50 picks at a much higher rate than offensive talent. And if that's the case, with a trade down we should target the elite defensive guys. I see no OL outside Quenton Nelson with the talent/upside of Via and LVH. Nor any WR in the draft as a whole. Nor any RB outside Barkley. Nor and TE in the draft as a whole. Etc. It would be the smart move, but Elway is a 'what haven't you done for me lately' drafter as of late and will almost certainly reach for offense. Ugh. 

I dont know how to remain enthusiastic for this team if Elway has another reach filled middle round run like last season. I know the jury is still out on C.Henderson, Langley, Walker and MacKenzie but, ugh, come on. Cant happen again. Langley was a top 100 pick for crying' out loud. Henderson was a clear 'anything you can do I can do better' type pick with KC in mind after Reke' Hill murdered us. MacKenzie was the result of Elway forgetting about Henderson maybe? lol. And Walker was a decent pick, if a reach, to improve the DL pass rush after losing Malik. But what? Move him to EDGE you say? Recreate the Ayers days you say? Come on. 

I shall prepare for letdown so as to not crash too hard. 

Not sure if this is the best place to post this but I'm here so............ I just read something that should have quite an effect on our priorities. Apparently Leary is definitely moving to the left side this year leaving McGovern and Garcia to fight it out on the right side. It's a great move for Bolles as a lot of the problems he had were Garcia's responsibilities.

bad news on the right side though. Garcia can't play there. You think he's a liability on the left, just wait until he swaps sides. McGovern may be able to play well there but IMO serves best as backup for all three IOL spots. So, we really have no depth with McGovern starting if he can. No depth at OT either. I'd think we owe Keenum a better shot than that.

It makes for a pretty strong case for Nelson at 5. He can play the right side very well. Also bolsters the case for a mid round OT.

Ol is just like a chain, no stronger than it's weakest link. We've got lots of weak links and no depth.

Archived