Official NFL Draft Thread (General Discussion for Draft)

steelcurtain29

let me just say this, they picked this up on the coverage, terrell is very good at covering TE's, and we can all agree, even if we put our entire draft haul into one pick, that pick would be oh so worth it if it gave us a counter to new england's taurus of a TE who we are not going to name

Im wondering if we ask him to add 10-15 lbs and move him to Shaziers spot to put some speed back in the middle? If we do, I sure hope they also draft a NT to keep guys off him, but I really think we may see him playing a lot of LB, covering TE, and chasing backs down side to side. Not sure I would have drafted him in the 1st, but I am assuming the front office is a lot better judging talent than I am.

So rumor has it that we called Baltimore to try to move to 22 to get Evans, and they refused to deal with us.  Patriots had practically already filled out a card for Rashaad Evans when the Titans traded for the pick.  The rumor has it that we offered 28, and the 3rd from the Bryant trade, and Baltimore took the crappier deal just to not trade in division.  That's such a **** move Baltimore thing to do.  Pass up a better deal to spite us.  Last few times an in division foe did that to us it really worked out.

As for the pick.  Sorry to the guys that like him and think he has upside but this pick gets an F--- from me.  Would have easily been there in round two.  He wasn't picking up enough steam to be picked before that.  And he was only there because his brother was invited.  From what I heard when we called him, the NFL had to scramble to find him in the building and get the jersey making guy.

Edmunds IMO is not as smooth as Reid or Bates, and we all know I thought those guys were second round players.  Before I write my $0.02 on the pick, here's some various grades on the pick:

Pittsburgh Steelers 
Draft picks: Virginia Tech S Terrell Edmunds (No. 28 overall). 
Day 1 grade: B 
The skinny: The Steelers went safety, as expected, but picked Edmunds, the brother of fellow first-round pick Tremaine, instead of Stanford's Justin Reid and others. This was a surprise pick to most, and probably a round early -- but given his strength and NFL bloodlines (father, Ferrell, played tight end in the league), but maybe it shouldn't have been. He'll be a welcomed addition to the team, either way.

No. 28 pick: The Pittsburgh Steelers select Terrell Edmunds

Too low, just right, or too high? Lamar Jackson is still on the board, and Big Ben is almost as old as Tom Brady, so ... too high. That said, Pittsburgh’s aggressive pass defense gave up some really big big plays last year, so choosing a safety makes sense. And I mean, Edmunds comes from a Bud Foster defense and combines a nearly 220-pound frame with a 41-inch vertical. He’s a freak. So, okay, fine, I’ll say it’s just right.

He’s going to get razzed by his brother for being only the second Edmunds taken in the first round, though.

28. Pittsburgh Steelers: S Terrell Edmunds, Virginia Tech

The Steelers are betting on upside here. Edmunds, like his brother Tremaine, is a premier athlete: He ran a 4.47 40 and jumped 41.5 inches in the vert with a 134-inch broad jump. But he’s inconsistent in all the areas that the Steelers desperately need to improve in, and too often took bad angles and missed tackles in the open field.

Fit: B-
Value: C-

So the consensus I get it this is a round too early, and I agree.  This is that has me so angry.  He's not a good open field tackler.  He's very similar to Morgan Burnett when you think about it.  Athletic player, can play ILB/SS/FS.  Which is again why I don't like it all that much...we added another jack of all master of none that we did with Burnett, and heck to an extent Davis.  My unhappiness really has to deal with the fact that we took him way too early.  And add in that he's a versatile player and Butler is a box of rocks and won't know how to use him.  I got a gut feeling that through his first two years this is going to seem like a waste of a pick.

Now this might be interesting in 1 way.  He's a bigger dude at 6'1", 220-ish.  Could the ask him to put on 15-20 pounds and play him as a LBer/box Safety who can play coverage and flow sideline to sideline.  If he stays at safety, I can see him struggling unless he's used a bit more like Troy.

1 minute ago, Blitzburgh said:

My second thought is , if he was a day two player why was he there on day one for drafts night?  Was it bc of his brother or did the NFL know something the fans and analysts didn’t.

Strictly coincidence because his brother was there.  If the NFL knew something they would have announced him early with everyone else, had walk out music set for him, kept his family at the table.

Just now, jebrick said:

The Steelers like the 5th year option.  That is why they did not trade out of the 1st for him.  I think they had the opportunity

Which to me is stupid beyond stupid.  Overdraft a guy for the option.  That's like saying I'll pay $35,000 for the car at dealership A when I can get up the road for $30,000 at dealership B because dealership ! doesn't charge for inspections.

Archived