Official NFL Draft Thread (General Discussion for Draft)

steelcurtain29

4 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I think you put much stock in drafting players in the 3rd for players that might get hurt or suspended. How about we draft players to replace below average starters?

of course, replace a few I can think of, but that is a reach with this FO since they want to prove themselves correct wrt previous draft picks.  Unless we get a difference maker for D in these later rounds, our D will be as it was in the playoff, yet teams like pats and jags got better.  How does the FO not get fired for not addressing the D?  Did they forget the embarrassment at home  in the playoffs?

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Do you guys think Colbert and Tomlin see our defense as the coaching issues? May explain why they skipped the defense.

I don't know what is going on with them and the D. Maybe they are going to experiment this year but in the meantime make offence better.  Saw next to no effort so far in helping the D.  Maybe they think outscoring is the best D, and that has been proven to work in the past with some teams.   As a fan, I don't think can watch a team that has neglected D and keeps getting worse on D.  I hope they get a few difference makers in later rounds, Settle and OKO, but if not, it could be new way fro the steelers, with a D in the bottom 1/2 of the league. This D padded their stats vs bad teams, and from what I have read the schedule this year isn't so nice either. 

35 minutes ago, Alex said:

Do you guys think Colbert and Tomlin see our defense as the coaching issues? May explain why they skipped the defense.

I think they acknowledge the issues with the defense (judging from pre-draft visits) but I think they really hated how the draft developed for them and were left scrambling to some extent (the first pick and the last pick of the third I'm guessing).  

I'm just baffled how they pick a complete project of an offensive tackle, which is a strength of the team, instead of reaching slightly for an ILB knowing you don't pick in the 4th and its by far your biggest need.  I don't know how this draft will turn out, maybe it will be great, but its certainly the least inspiring draft I can remember.

Tomlin and Colbert have officially jumped the shark.

I fully expect us to take a step back this year and an early playoff exit....followed by another offseason next year where they ignore the big issues, and then tale another step back in 2019.

Its really starting to feel like Tomlin and Colbert have hit a wall in terms of how far they can take this team.   Not that either one are egregiously bad at what they do, but the team is stagnating and its due to mediocre coaching and too many whiffs in the draft (especially on defense).

50 minutes ago, Money said:

Cut bait and re-evaluate. Hargrave is good I just don't think he can eat up two blockers at NT. Matakevich might as well be Mike Humpal. Dupree needs to develop a plan as a pass rusher.

how many more years does dupree need to develop a plan as a pass rusher? 

Archived