Official NFL Draft Thread (General Discussion for Draft)

steelcurtain29

12 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

I just cannot believe this draft by the Steelers. Unbelievable on so many levels.

Losing to Jax was obviously an O problem, smh.

O got 42 Its IIRC. That is on the D, the game was over early because of the D.  

2 hours ago, 95lloyd said:

I don't get the love for Chark.  Yeah he's tall and fast.  Chark scored 10 TD his whole collegiate career with a season high of 5 while Washington managed 10,10,14 TD seasons.  I'll take the guy who produced myself.

Gotta look at the big picture buddy.  Mason Rudolph is a good QB.  LSU had pure trash at QB.  I'd take Chark over Washington a million times out of a million.  Not just because of speed either.  He's taller, faster, has good hands.  Washington gives us nothing we don't already have.  I'd take St. Brown and a host of mid-late round guys over him.

Earlier, I stated that, even when I dont like picks we make, after the draft weekend I put it aside and support the players we drafted.

This time, however, I dont think I can do that.    And its not so much the players themselves I wont support, but moreso the sheer ineptitude of our front office, who completely ignored our biggest needs and drafted a marginally talented WR in the 2nd to be our 3rd WR (dont even think he would be better than a healthy Eli Rogers), and two players who will be nothing more than backups for likely the next 1-3 years.....which wouldnt be so much of an issue if our defense wasnt lacking so badly in so many areas.     Seriously....beyond Watt and Tuitt, how many decent defenders to we have under 30?   

I dont like overreacting to a draft when we dont even know how it will be, but even if it turns out to be a good draft.....it does next to nothing in fixing our biggest needs going into 2018.    Our defense might be marginally better due to the replacement of Mike Mitchell....but our LB corps outside of Watt will be the worst in the league,  and our secondary outside of Haden likely wont be much better.

Gonna try to sleep this off and be a little more objective tomorrow, but probably not much. 

You know your first 3 rounds SUCKED when you hang your hat on your BACKUP QB being better in case your starter gets hurt.  That is really the only difference I see.  You should come out of the first 3 rounds and think your team just got significantly better and actually fixed weak links from the prior year.  Instead, I go into day 3 of the draft hoping we get some steals because if we don't, we're right back where we were last year AFTER Shazier went down.  That team, without Shazier, is going to have a losing record and no chance at all of a 7th Super Bowl.  

The team had chances too.  Instead?  The Bengals go and drafted 2 vastly superior players in Bates and Hubbard, a round later than the Steelers could've had them, plus a fast ILB that might have helped the team, all of which would've greatly improved the D.  Now?  We have to hope for a slower than ideal Josey Jewell to continue sliding, and hit on potential gems like Zach Sieler, Dylan Cantrell, Justin Watson, Greg Stroman, etc.  Sieler would simply be depth behind 2 great DEs.  Cantrell and Watson would be 4th and beyond WRs.  Stroman might actually contribute, but would be a KR/4th CB at best.  Oh I forgot, we also got a scrub OT.  Better hope Munchak can turn turds into gold.  

9 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

That team, without Shazier, is going to have a losing record and no chance at all of a 7th Super Bowl.  

Exaggerate much? We won 6 games after Shazier was out last season.  One could argue we've improved since then.  Bostic should be an improvement over what Spence offered.  Mitchell is gone and Burnett/Edmunds could provide more in the secondary.  To come out and say we're going to have a losing record because you don't like their draft is pretty absurd lol

27 minutes ago, 95lloyd said:

Exaggerate much? We won 6 games after Shazier was out last season.  One could argue we've improved since then.  Bostic should be an improvement over what Spence offered.  Mitchell is gone and Burnett/Edmunds could provide more in the secondary.  To come out and say we're going to have a losing record because you don't like their draft is pretty absurd lol

Agreed.  They made nice FA moves this year and still have as good of a chance as any of representing the AFC.  With that being said, I don't think our chances were enhanced at all with this draft and that's really frustrating.  Hope I'm wrong but not very hopeful of these players being contributors year 1

1 hour ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

You know your first 3 rounds SUCKED when you hang your hat on your BACKUP QB being better in case your starter gets hurt.  That is really the only difference I see.  You should come out of the first 3 rounds and think your team just got significantly better and actually fixed weak links from the prior year.  Instead, I go into day 3 of the draft hoping we get some steals because if we don't, we're right back where we were last year AFTER Shazier went down.  That team, without Shazier, is going to have a losing record and no chance at all of a 7th Super Bowl.  

The team had chances too.  Instead?  The Bengals go and drafted 2 vastly superior players in Bates and Hubbard, a round later than the Steelers could've had them, plus a fast ILB that might have helped the team, all of which would've greatly improved the D.  Now?  We have to hope for a slower than ideal Josey Jewell to continue sliding, and hit on potential gems like Zach Sieler, Dylan Cantrell, Justin Watson, Greg Stroman, etc.  Sieler would simply be depth behind 2 great DEs.  Cantrell and Watson would be 4th and beyond WRs.  Stroman might actually contribute, but would be a KR/4th CB at best.  Oh I forgot, we also got a scrub OT.  Better hope Munchak can turn turds into gold.  

M-V,

Agree on a few point, not so much on some.

Agree that the D will be near where it was AFTER Shazier went down  possibly worse since the schedule isn't as easy. If they have Edmunds be Shazier and if that works, then maybe it will be a bit better, but a few "ifs" there . Other ifs for being a bit better (after injury)  would be if we drafted Okoronkwo and Settle in that order AND they played enough.

The losing record is possible looking at the schedule if the team gets off to a bad start, injuries to blame or not. There last half of the schedule looks to be a test. I don't like a bad defence either, but if the offence can outscore teams, that could be the new way to win for us and it is possible.It is also a way to fire the defensive coaches, which could be in the making intentionally as we aren't seeing any help for the D other than releasing NKM and signing Burnett. Edmunds might help if he gets to play and in recent time we have played rookies, unlike in the past when they redshirted9_9 . If this team finishes 6-10, does it cost tomlin and colbert their job? I doubt it. 

How dare you use the word scrub on a player that has not  almost allowed our QB to hit IR on a weekly basis :D .  I have hopes for any OL that is willing to learn and has some potential, that is what I think coach Munch, and even I am OK with this pick. It might have got in the way of the way I would have drafted, but lets see how this goes. Gilbert suspension might have played a role in this. Of course, they will need cap space for Bell next year too and Gilbert could be the casualty, mark it down.  Hawkins could be gone or PS , there must be reasons for a OT taken here.

Last I checked , Marvin is the coach for the bungles. They might improve, but should find a way to bungle or will they. They might have enough talent to overturn such a disadvantage, and make the division more of a challenge.  If we could have traded Bryant for Lawson :o

Jags and Pats and Titans improve, not sure if we do yet and when was the last time we allowed mid to late round picks as rookies contribute enough to have impact? hence I understand your anger about all this.  Even if we draft Oko or Settle, how and when will they play. I can see them finally giving up on Dupree if Oko got enough chances through injury to dupree but if dupree wasn't hurt, this coach will take about 8 weeks or a really bad record to give up on dupree or other RD1 picks made. Same applies to burns , but being a CB ,, if he gets burned enough, they will make the change sooner.

We are accustomed to having teams that hit and have good D. This won't be the case for 2018, this is the year we have to outscore everyone. I am expecting this D to allow more points than any steelers team in a very long time. Rush D might end up in bottom 1/3 of the league.  All this to keep Bell who we had last year when we got owned at home by the jags for the 2nd time that season. 1st loss excuse was ben wanted to retire and had a bad game, 2nd game excuse was shazier injury. We will see what excuses they have this year.

3 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Tomlin and Colbert have officially jumped the shark.

I fully expect us to take a step back this year and an early playoff exit....followed by another offseason next year where they ignore the big issues, and then tale another step back in 2019.

Its really starting to feel like Tomlin and Colbert have hit a wall in terms of how far they can take this team.   Not that either one are egregiously bad at what they do, but the team is stagnating and its due to mediocre coaching and too many whiffs in the draft (especially on defense).

I am in agreement here to a degree. Before the draft I was expecting the AFC North to come together more in records, the old 10-6 ,9-7, 8-8, 7-9 type division, with Pittsburgh trying to fend off all comers. Figuring Cleveland will cause some more problems and a potential loss in one of those matchups. A possible split with at least 2 of the 3 teams, etc.

After this draft I'm not so impressed with Clevelands potential effort this year, but it should improve. That being said, the wildcards will come from other divisions and Pittsburgh will fight it with Baltimore to win the division. We could actually end up on the outside looking in. 

Expect the Pats to be there, The Jags and Texans will fight for the division/home field with the pesky Titans hanging around. The Chargers & renewed Broncos should be good.  The Dolphins will make some noise and Bills should be pesky as well. 

That gauntlet stretch of road games etc could make for a season worse than most can imagine at this point. 

I really dont believe this team has improved this offseason. They've met needs but not improved, if so, its very slightly. 

Edmunds will be a starter at some point and add excitement, but hard to count on that. Id expect very little to nothing from the other picks this year, not even on special teams. 

This is no longer a guarantee playoff team. Other teams have stepped up, and then there is always the possibility of an injury that sets a team back.  I thought the Browns could have got Barkely and their QB, but lets see how chubb does.  I am looking forward to seeing Mayfield since he has guts and that should help the Browns and I am tired of 2 guaranteed wins a year by default. We might get into the playoffs because the other divisional teams don't have a better record. I don't know what to think of the bungles and ravens yet. It won't matter if our D can't stop anyone, and thats what will hold us back. 

I expect pats, jags, titans and chiefs to begin the pic, but the other teams have gotten better too. Raiders should rebound as well.

5 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

This is no longer a guarantee playoff team. Other teams have stepped up, and then there is always the possibility of an injury that sets a team back.  I thought the Browns could have got Barkely and their QB, but lets see how chubb does.  I am looking forward to seeing Mayfield since he has guts and that should help the Browns and I am tired of 2 guaranteed wins a year by default. We might get into the playoffs because the other divisional teams don't have a better record. I don't know what to think of the bungles and ravens yet. It won't matter if our D can't stop anyone, and thats what will hold us back. 

I expect pats, jags, titans and chiefs to begin the pic, but the other teams have gotten better too. Raiders should rebound as well.

Who on our team makes you feel like they could stop Alex Collins?  Marshal Yanda will be back. They picked up two solid big receiving tight ends, which is what they were lacking and we very typically cant stop tight ends, let alone two at a time. And hell get Lamar Jackson to buy in to running a few plays come November/December to be a difference maker. They always have D. They'll always be and play ugly but they can win.

Archived