Official Broncos Forum Draft Thread

AnAngryAmerican

My 2nd more in-depth reaction:

1.  Most benign explanation - I would guess we try and stash Williams to the PS.  This would be presumably to compete with D-Henderson for the 3rd RB job next year, and then the backup job in 2020 - because after 2019, Booker is a UDFA.   You keep RB's for their 4 years, and if they're not special, you walk away.  This could just be planning for Booker's departure after 2019.  Remember, if you spend 11+ games on the PS - teams keep the 4 years of control.

2.  Most concerning explanation - FO isn't happy with D-Henderson's progress.   Remember he was on the 53-man squad, but couldn't crack the lineup until Week 16-17, and only played well in a meaningless game vs. KC's 2nd-string D (who was 32nd vs. run in DVOA).  

There's little risk - but I thought I'd have stayed at 5.149 & 5.160 with Crosby T and Settle NT, the results don't change that opinion.  It's not a deal breaker by any means, this has still been a B/B+ draft - just could have been an A with the opportunities we passed up for value.  

Overall, though, given our trend to draft disaster the last 3+ years - other than lack of OL help (which is a big issue), WR, ILB, a 2-down runner and impact player in Chubb were all obtained.    And we could have been stuck with Allen at 1.5, or traded down to 1.12 without getting another 1st.  So I can't say I'm unhappy.  A B draft is miles ahead of what we've done.  More importantly, Elway's gone to taking actual football-skill guys, and he's not reaching badly for "his guys" no matter how the board shakes out.  And Chubb shows he's willing to go BPA early.   So this is real progress.

Been a blast guys, time to meet my family again lol. :D

5 hours ago, elwayfan07 said:

I agree. Elway trusts Kubiak completely. He may be the only one who could convince him to change his approach. 

I’m not the first to say this but Kubiak is being groomed to succeed Elway as GM. He’s not only more qualified and has Broncos in his blood, like Elway, but he’s a much, much easier hire to sell the fan base than Matt Russell would be. 

4 hours ago, BaldyBronco said:

SO we are all talking about the team captains and great character guys.  We drafted 1 starter and a whole bunch of guys to add depth to our offense.  The Josey Jewell pick is my favorite, but he won't see the field this year. Freeman is our #3 RB.  Yiadom is a special teams player.  And Frankly D. Hamilton may beat out Sutherland, LOL.  Fumagali seems to be a developmental depth, practice squad guy.

AND, with OG and QB being a big need, and with major talent in this class at BOTH positions.  We get to this point with ZERO help. With Elway acknowledging he botched a trade to get an OL and that from 33 to 39 he let all of the targets get away from him and settle on a guy who will be the #3, 4 or 5 receiver on our roster at 40? Now, we are going to leave this draft with an ARMY OT who won't play for a long time?

This is seriously troubling

I get these are good football players.  And there are some good young men on our football team.

The Chubb pick was great until the majority of the remainder of this draft class has formed.  We missed.  That is unfortunate.  

I hope Elway can find a veteran casualty in June to fix this mess on the OL.

Maybe there is a surprise 

Are you kidding? This is a killer draft class. We filled needs with high-chatter guys from good programs and pro-style systems. 

Chubb has to be a leading candidate for DROY and, more importantly, will help take pressure off Von who was double and even triple-teamed all year. 

The RBs we got will see plenty of touches last year. We have a very young RB room, that’s good. 

We got great depth on offense and defense with guys who at the very least will contribute immediately on special teams. 

I give Elway & Co. a solid A grade for this weekend. How anyone can hate on this draft is beyond me. And, with my history on grading drafts, that’s saying something. ?

10 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I’m not the first to say this but Kubiak is being groomed to succeed Elway as GM. He’s not only more qualified and has Broncos in his blood, like Elway, but he’s a much, much easier hire to sell the fan base than Matt Russell would be. 

If you and @AKRNA are right (I believe he's the one who mentioned this first), then it would be very encouraging indeed, given how the approach has changed. 

I would only say if it's Kubiak that he's got to value going OL sooner.   Let's face it, that was his weakness in HOU & here once the new blocking rules changed and took away the advantages of our old cut block system.   Otherwise, a very promising start compared to the disasters from the last 3+ years.

7 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Are you kidding? This is a killer draft class. We filled needs with high-chatter guys from good programs and pro-style systems. 

Chubb has to be a leading candidate for DROY and, more importantly, will help pressure off Von who was double and even triple-teamed all year. 

The RBs we got will see plenty of touches last year. We have a very young RB room, that’s good. 

We got great depth on offense and defense with guys who at the very least will contribute immediately on special teams. 

I give Elway & Co. a solid A grade for this weekend. How anyone can hate on this draft is beyond me. And, with my history on grading drafts, that’s saying something. ?

I agree this our strongest draft since 2011-2012 era (2012 sucked because the draft talent was an abortion). 

Still, looking at the draft, there is 1 legit weakness, and 1 unavoidable issue cited in @BaldyBronco's post above:

1.  Legit - OL not addressed.  Jones is a flyer.  In a deep OL class, I get the concern.

2.  Not avoidable - the draft won't make us a lot better in 2018...because drafts rarely make a year 1 big impact (NO 2017 happens 1x a decade, if that).   That's not on the draft.

I think we missed a big opportunity presented to us in Rd 5 to stand pat, and really get difference-makers who inexplicably fell (T Crosby/NT Settle), but that's really it (I would have done Day 2 a little differently, but it's not like I hate what we ended up with).

On the plus sides, we stuck to Elway's BPA and got Chubb 1.5, and Elway/Kubiak adapted to the Big Board, and didn't reach for "their guy".  They were patient enough to let Jewell fall to 4.106.  That would have never happened in years gone by.    

We're still not a legit 2018 contender, but if 4-5 guys work out, we're so much further ahead than in years gone by...and we need it, given our cap problems starting in 2019.   If this is Kubiak's influence - awesome!  Gary, just remember not to forget OL, it's not HOU & "we can get guys to coach up" anymore, lol.   Otherwise, strong marks all around.

Just now, iLikeDefense said:

Looks like Denver is going after CU RB Phillip Lindsay. 

I get RB is the most disposable position around, I like dipping my feet into the pool, but I don't get going after both David Williams and Lindsay after getting Freeman.  Only so many guys you can stash on the PS.

Just now, Zukhyubern said:

How did Hilton Hill go undrafted? 

Major character flags.  Many teams took him off our list.

I know Elway stressed character, but I'd bring him as a UDFA and make him earn a spot.  Same with Desmond Harrison.

I'd also bring in a high-character, high-production WR in Simmie Cobbs Jr.   Yeah, we have 2 rookie WR's - but I'd stash him on the PS, and see if we get a head start on 2019-20, when DT and Sanders will leave at least 1 at a time.    Cobbs Jr. has enough ceiling to merit it.

As we missed on NT with Settle and passed on him at 5.160, the last guy I'm definitely looking to bring in - NT Poona Ford.  Pure 0-tech run stuffer, but we'll need to groom a Peko replacement for 2019.

Archived