Choose your own movie?

MacReady

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/941487-20th-century-fox-taps-kinos-ctrlmovie-choose-adventure

I've been saying for a long time that this should be used in theaters.  It's a great way to generate hype and add to a stagnant theatrical experience.  I've been saying for a long time (and I can prove it if I had the energy) that it would be a big hit with box office numbers. 

I think it's pretty cool.  I really hope it does well because I think it's a better "gimmick" than 3D movies.  Hopefully the minds behind this one will make it a really fun experience. 

My first thought is that it sounds like a nightmare for theaters. Cell phones out through the movie (dem backlights doe), people complaining about their app not working and demanding refunds, the different run times invite inefficiency when it comes to screenings, meaning theaters may not be able to maximize their showings.

8 hours ago, Tyty said:

Cool in theory. Does it have a future realistically?

It depends on what kind of movies they make and who they market it towards.  I think this type of movie will have long legs on home release.  There have been things like this before, but none that were so seamless.  Won't be fun for people who get bothered by other moviegoers, but there are a lot of people who don't get bothered by that, and it could be a hit with a younger demography. 

I'm excited by it to see if it will work.  The box office is dying.  You look at inflation and movies aren't coming close to attendance or what they made during the height of the box office.  It needs an injection of life, and I'm hoping more unique ideas and more original screenplays/movies can give it that injection of life.  This could be a significant step in film history, or it could be another Aromarama or The Tingler. 

They actually tried this in the mid-90's before, but it was only a 20 minute interactive thing where you got to pick punishments for people.  There were control pads on the seats you could vote with, but the results showed up on screen, the acting was terrible, and it wasn't even a movie.  Took 20 plus years, but it looks like Hollywood is desperate enough to give it another try with a feature length attempt this time. 

Or how about something like this:

Everyone has their own movie profile: Like when you go to a movie, you score the movie, and fill out what you did and didn't like, along with your other personal preferences.

Then, when people go to another movie, all of their movie profiles are accessed, and the system picks the best series of choices to most accurately fits that target audience that happens to be in the theater in the time.

Just now, MathMan said:

Or how about something like this:

Everyone has their own movie profile: Like when you go to a movie, you score the movie, and fill out what you did and didn't like, along with your other personal preferences.

Then, when people go to another movie, all of their movie profiles are accessed, and the system picks the best series of choices to most accurately fits that target audience that happens to be in the theater in the time.

I think the best movie idea possible is to film 8 divergent paths in a horror type movie, but the decisions are made by the actors in an improv type way.  They'd have a number of lines/actions to choose from throughout the movie.  A lot like Until Dawn.  It would have to be a single location movie, definitely in the horror genre, but I feel like that'd be a hit because theaters could randomize which movie played.  It'd get people to go multiple times I think.  Once I win the lottery, I'm taking this idea straight to Universal and pitching it for an Equal (not sequel, not prequel, but simultaneous movie) to The Thing.  I'd feel too dirty remaking it, making a sequel or a prequel to it.  I'm sure there were American outposts other than Outpost 31 in Antarctica at the time. 

Archived