2018 NFL DRAFT DISCUSSION

Thaiphoon

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Cowboys trades a 6th for Tavon Austin. He hasn’t developed like I thought he would but he has dangerous speed that we need to be scared of.

He Can definitely be a gadget guy for them on screens, jet sweeps etc. 

*shrug* I think I agree with Charlie Casserly when asked about the trade: "To put it bluntly, nothing for nothing."

13 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Then quit the message board.  Seriously your moping and whining lately has been ridiculous.  

Not my conversation but this should not be allowed. I am “felt the wrath” for saying less than this. 

We all don’t have to agree, but everyone’s opinion matters, that has been made clear to me.

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

Not my conversation but this should not be allowed. I am “felt the wrath” for saying less than this. 

We all don’t have to agree, but everyone’s opinion matters, that has been made clear to me.

It's been dealt with.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

Except they didn't like Kouandjio and Kalis (they cut both before bringing them back due to the injuries last year) and Bergstrom was just signed two weeks ago. So beyond Rouiller, none of those guys is a long term solution. Maybe Kalis?

They liked them enough to bring them back when they had injuries. They cut both Kalis and Kouandjio because Catalina was more versatile than them. Catalina can play OT & G, the other two couldn’t.

I don’t know that we know for sure that Catalina and Kouandjio aren’t long term solutions as well as Kalis.  It’s likely that they aren’t the long term answer at LG or that they, Clemmings or Franklin aren’t either but there’s just no reason if knowing that they definitely are or aren’t.

We do have a lot of “guys/bodies” along the OL. We have one position open that a handful of guys will be competing for - both veterans and young guys - it’s not as dire a situation as many make it out to be - and is a late round pick really going to strengthen the position that much more?

It’a possible, it happened with Roullier last year, but that’s unlikely too.

1 minute ago, Eric said:

I'd say there's a 99% there's a probability I have never heard of the player we are getting ready to draft. 

My sources (a couple of gerbils running around in my head) are telling me that TE Andrew Vollert from Weber St will be the selection.

According to HERO Sports FCS senior staff writer Brian McLaughlin, Vollert’s 40-yard-dash time of 4.54 seconds and three-cone time of 6.76 both tie for the fastest among tight ends who were at the combine. His time of 4.09 in the 20-yard shuttle would have been the quickest at his position at the combine.

http://www.standard.net/Weber-State/2018/03/29/weber-state-football-pro-day-2018-taron-johnson-andrew-vollert-mckay-murphy

6 minutes ago, Woz said:

*shrug* I think I agree with Charlie Casserly when asked about the trade: "To put it bluntly, nothing for nothing."

Probably but don’t forget that the Cowboys run a lot of zone read. Ask, Elliot and the speed of Austin on the field together in certain packages is going to be hard to defend.

For the record, while I always loved him because he was awesome at WVU I’ve thought since draft day that he was overdrafted by at least a half a round - if not more - by the Rams.

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Can we trade a draft pick for Pete Kendall like Gibbs and Cerrato did? ? 

No lie, I was thinking about this last night. With the 2019 pick surplus and the remaining cap space, they could afford to trade a decent selection and take on some salary for a veteran to step in right away. 

The Niners have Jonathan Cooper, Zane Beadles, Laken Tomlinson, and Joshua Garnett all on their roster right now (in addition to Joe Staley, Mike Pouncey, and Mike McGlinchey). Wonder if they’d trade us one of the former 1st round guards?

Just now, Eric said:

I remember a lot of us saying to take Settle in the 2nd. Including myself, we would have really went to the reach tank if we were in charge.

Saying that he would be a hell of a pick now

Definitely agree with this. If we want to build more depth along the DL, he’d be a steal here amongst a handful of other DTs who are still available.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

They liked them enough to bring them back when they had injuries. They cut both Kalis and Kouandjio because Catalina was more versatile than them. Catalina can play OT & G, the other two couldn’t.

Except we saw that Catalina couldn't play. He was disastrously bad when put against starting talent and not just backups and not-making-roster guys.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t know that we know for sure that Catalina and Kouandjio aren’t long term solutions as well as Kalis.

They had Kouandjio for four years and he never sniffed supplanting Lauvao. They cut him before the season. He didn't get it done after four years. Why would suddenly it work in year five?

Kalis might work.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It’s likely that they aren’t the long term answer at LG or that they, Clemmings or Franklin aren’t either but there’s just no reason if knowing that they definitely are or aren’t.

Yes, Clemmings and Franklin aren't either ... depth across the board is a major issue. One they don't seem to be addressing.

4 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We do have a lot of “guys/bodies” along the OL. We have one position open that a handful of guys will be competing for - both veterans and young guys - it’s not as dire a situation as many make it out to be - and is a late round pick really going to strengthen the position that much more?

The bolded is just another way of saying JAGs. We have band-aids.

I give the front office credit here, they've been addressing the defensive line. But inexplicably ignored the offensive line when they lost both players at last year's two deep at left guard without even getting close to addressing it.

Archived