1(3). Sam Darnold, QB, Southern California

NewAge

When was winters good before? He’s terrible. He has never been good and we keep saying “bounce back year” what is he bouncing back from? Being one of the worst guards in football? This is not a middle of the pack offensive line. Long will help but he’s nothing special either he’s just a lot better than Wesley Johnson who was the worst center I have ever seen. Jets still need to add ZBS interior lineman. Carpenter was a fish out of water last year. 

11 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

When was winters good before? He’s terrible. He has never been good and we keep saying “bounce back year” what is he bouncing back from? Being one of the worst guards in football? This is not a middle of the pack offensive line. Long will help but he’s nothing special either he’s just a lot better than Wesley Johnson who was the worst center I have ever seen. Jets still need to add ZBS interior lineman. Carpenter was a fish out of water last year. 

Winters was pretty good 2 seasons ago. Not one of the best RGs but middle of the pack (which was what he got paid).

Like I’ve said... you can’t understate the OLine man next to you being weak and having to step up to give them help. This is why you saw Carp and Winters look bad last year. Carp just the year before was one of the better LGs in the NFL. You put a liability next to your OGs and they have to try and do things they shouldn’t to help. So getting Long should help this OLine big time as well as Winters actually being healthy. I don’t think anyone is saying this OLine is great. But I think it can be middle of the pack and not a liability. Getting Crowell going will be big in developing Darnold. You have to have a defense respect the run for the QB to groom.

2 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

I don't mean this in a negative tone but...

Only this board can hype of the likes of Brian Winters and Isaiah Crowell, who the Cleveland Browns refer to as a cast-a-way

We drafted Winters for starters do not sure how he’s a castaway. And I believe Cleveland only let Crowell go bc they 100% planned on drafting a RB high and still have Duke Johnson. So it wasn’t a position they cared to pay.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

We drafted Winters for starters do not sure how he’s a castaway. And I believe Cleveland only let Crowell go bc they 100% planned on drafting a RB high and still have Duke Johnson. So it wasn’t a position they cared to pay.

They also signed Carlos Hyde for triple the money we give Crowell.  I don’t know why they let Crowell go but the way I’m not expecting much and feel that whatever we get from him will be a bonus. I really wish we had drafted John Kelly or Mark Walton. I do think(hope) Flowers could also get some time at RB

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Winters was pretty good 2 seasons ago. Not one of the best RGs but middle of the pack (which was what he got paid).

Like I’ve said... you can’t understate the OLine man next to you being weak and having to step up to give them help. This is why you saw Carp and Winters look bad last year. Carp just the year before was one of the better LGs in the NFL. You put a liability next to your OGs and they have to try and do things they shouldn’t to help. So getting Long should help this OLine big time as well as Winters actually being healthy. I don’t think anyone is saying this OLine is great. But I think it can be middle of the pack and not a liability. Getting Crowell going will be big in developing Darnold. You have to have a defense respect the run for the QB to groom.

Dude no way did he ever have a good season. Winters was not  and never had been good. That contract he received was an absolute joke. We want to quote PFF, well PFF has NEVER even rated him as good as below average, and that’s not due to the center that’s just cuz he sucks. He sucked next to mangold and he really sucked next to Johnson. Also since we debate about PFF, watch the tape, it’s not good. Jets need to invest heavily in the line next year. 

3 hours ago, Bianconero said:

I don't mean this in a negative tone but...

Only this board can hype of the likes of Brian Winters and Isaiah Crowell, who the Cleveland Browns refer to as a cast-a-way

Brian winters is one of the worst guards in football consistently. Crowell, I think is fat more talented than winters as their respected positions but even he needs to prove it too. 

I am positive winters will be cut after another bad season. 

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Dude no way did he ever have a good season. Winters was not  and never had been good. That contract he received was an absolute joke. We want to quote PFF, well PFF has NEVER even rated him as good as below average, and that’s not due to the center that’s just cuz he sucks. He sucked next to mangold and he really sucked next to Johnson. Also since we debate about PFF, watch the tape, it’s not good. Jets need to invest heavily in the line next year. 

He had a 77 grade in 2016 which is considered something between average and above average. Wesley Johnson started 8 games in 2016, so, his decline can’t all be due to Johnson. But he did get hurt in the second game of the season and played with that injury throughout the entire year. 

I think Winters had a decent 8 game stretch that people really reacted to because of how terrible he was before.  When a bottom of the NFL player suddenly plays at league average people react as if he is now playing really well due to the contrast in his play. 

As far as Crowell I am baffled that the Browns chose to pay Hyde so much more money than Crowell ended up signing for.  Crowell is almost 2 full years younger than Hyde and they both averaged 4.2 yards per carry.  Neither had ideal running conditions but I think Crowell faced, on average, harder conditions to run in, due to constant horrible QB play.  Add in the fact that Hyde is far more injury prone, and not as good of a receiver this just seems like the Browns being the Browns.  I think we got a steal with Crowell.

37 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

He had a 77 grade in 2016 which is considered something between average and above average. Wesley Johnson started 8 games in 2016, so, his decline can’t all be due to Johnson. But he did get hurt in the second game of the season and played with that injury throughout the entire year. 

We have to pray that spencer long is the glue that gets winters and carpenter back to avg form which will be much better than last year. 

PFF has us as 30th overall offensive line last year and yet we were injury free, and Spencer Long was our only addition...talk about putting all the eggs in one basket. Wesley Johnson horrific but we need to start developing more lineman, especially with a young QB. 

4 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

We have to pray that spencer long is the glue that gets winters and carpenter back to avg form which will be much better than last year. 

Yup. Have to cross our fingers. But I think they’ll fall short and be a below average line. 

I would like for us to either sign a top flight tackle in free agency or go LT in the first next year. Then kick Beachum to LG. He was expected to be a guard coming into the league but held his own at tackle. I think he can continue to be solid as a guard for linger. 

Pretty much every position across the line as individuals are average which hopefully leads to an average line.  There are no more Johnson's or Winters playing with a torn bicep.

Lets all hope for average line play.

Archived