Baker Mayfield No. 1

Kiwibrown

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

He was fine until he became a mod. Then the power corrupted him. With great power comes great responsibility.

One of the reasons I always quote Alexander the Great every time a new mod is brought on.

"I have held and beheld unlimited power  and of it I know but one thing. It drives men mad."

23 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

So @ditchdigger what's the deal here? Are you back or what? I know you left, became a Seahawks fan, and really wanted Baker Mayfield before you left. Is that enough to drag you back in?

The Browns to me are like an ex who bought some push up bras and spanx. They look good now, but you take that away, and it's the same sloppy mess underneath.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

So @ditchdigger what's the deal here? Are you back or what? I know you left, became a Seahawks fan, and really wanted Baker Mayfield before you left. Is that enough to drag you back in?

He’s back. He posts over at the Seahawks forum and all he gets is...

1 hour ago, ditchdigger said:

The Browns to me are like an ex who bought some push up bras and spanx. They look good now, but you take that away, and it's the same sloppy mess underneath.

You just left the Browns so you could say this when you came back. And you know that sloppy mess is where your heart truly is.

This will be my final, cumulative take on the Mayfield vs. Darnold situation. I'm going to say my peace and move on, as it's been two weeks now. Obviously Baker is a Brown and Darnold is a Jet, meaning that I'm officially all aboard the Browns and I despise the Jets and their fanbase (another story for another day), so I'm hoping that he fails while Baker succeeds. As for my cumulative evaluation and why I like(d) Darnold and why I did not like Mayfield, here it is:

*Darnold is two years younger (20, almost 21), threw a more complex passing tree at USC, is just as much of a winner (2 conference titles in two years), showed regularly his NFL arm strength and accuracy, and is a prototype frame with a prototype attitude/mentality and calm, cool, collected demeanor that I prefer. He's an above average athlete (his numbers are almost identical to Baker's) who is capable of making throws on the run, improvising, etc. He had a great freshman year, followed by an up and down sophomore year with a lot less around him in year two than year 1. He definitely showed his youth and turned it over too much, so he'll need to sit and learn how to read an NFL caliber defense while perfecting his occasionally sloppy footwork. Some view his elongated throwing motion as a problem, but I don't. The ball comes out of his hand clean, accurate, and in rhythm. 

*Mayfield is 23, comes from an Air Raid passing scheme at OU with a very simplistic playbook/passing tree. While others like Goff (and to a degree Mariota) have shown success in this type of an offense, others have struggled at the NFL level. He's a definite winner/underdog story as a former walk on turned Heisman trophy winner turned BIG 12 Champ/two time playoff appearance QB. However, I despise his attitude, antics, and while his run in with police is a mild concern, what worries me is the cumulative issues on top of this event. I prefer a calm/cool demeanor from my QB and emotional stability as opposed to Mayfield's, but this is a preference as long as he stays out of trouble and his teammates respond positively to it/he doesn't make stupid mistakes because of it. Baker is VERY accurate and able to make a variety of throws from a variety of platforms, but his lack of prototypical size does concern me, especially if I have the option of taking someone who is a prototype (who I also feel is/was better). If he's a Brees/Wilson hybrid, I won't care. However, the odds are not in his favor, but he seems to love proving people wrong. Baker will need to work on pocket presence/movement from interior pressure and not dropping his eyes, which many QB's also need to work on. The Browns will also need to commit completely to tailoring their scheme, playbook, and personnel completely around his skill set (something any competent organization should do anyway).

The bottom line for me is that I view both Darnold and Mayfield's floors as comparable (both average NFL starting QBs) but truly believe that Darnold has a higher ceiling due to most of his "faults" being explained due to his youth/inexperience, such as reading a defense. He still goes through progressions, makes great/accurate throws, and is everything you'd want from an NFL starting franchise QB aside from those two issues.

There, I'm done. I've said my peace and will move on and put this issue to rest, unless it turns into an "I told you so" situation of course. :)

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Who would make the best Browns mod?

Estonian bc he gave up/something terrible happened or DB41 bc he’s banned and can’t moderate us when it gets too lulzy and out of control. 

Archived